Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2015, 10:32 AM   #29

Call Newmar and verify what the dealer is telling you.
Campin Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2015, 10:44 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
The Forum members came up with some very good advice for Mike with the flooded new King Aire and now I need some help with a decision. Nothing as horrific as Mike's problem but still pretty daunting for us. If your new Dutch Star came in with either the wrong color flooring, counter tops, back splash, or wall board, something that would be very difficult if not impossible to change, would you just accept it or refuse the coach. We haven't discussed this with the salesman yet since we just discovered the problem while doing our own initial examination today before the PDI starts tomorrow.
Just trying to figure out what our legitimate options might be. I know we could just accept the wrong color and go on with the transaction but we put lots of time/effort in trying to custom colorize the interior several months ago and now having to accept the standard color may be something that will haunt us everytime we look at it.
Keep trying to think what we'd do if we ordered a new red car and it came in white what would we do.
Appreciate any thoughts, ideas, or suggestions.
wagonmaster2
I can see no reason to accept a specially ordered new coach with anything you do not like or want
However a used coach or a new coach on a dealers lot is a different story.
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 11:53 AM   #31

Seems to me you should get what you ordered or get your deposit back. If the DS came in as a Ventana would you still have to accept or lose your deposit? OP should not be out 1 cent to make it right or move on.
CoreyinWP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 12:31 PM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
Could you post some pictures of the backsplash?
lrose44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 12:49 PM   #33

Let me get this straight..

You specifically ordered options.. your dealer took your order, transferred the order to Newmar, supposedly Newmar "re-verifies" the order back to your dealer prior to production (and the dealer should have reviewed with you) and now it comes to you not as you ordered.. and someone has the audacity to insinuate you will lose your $5000 deposit in you don't take it ????

I DON"T THINK SO....

Unless you weren't crystal clear on what you wanted.. and I doubt that to be the case... Someone other than you just bought a new Dutchstar... I don't care how many Dutchstar's this dealer has on his lot and if he wants another one or not.. NOT your problem..

If this dealer punishes you buy making your forfeit your deposit.. I truly hope you let us know who that dealer is.. I would suspect that will be the last Dutchstar he sells to anyone on this forum... not to mention the people forum members talk to.. that is CRAZY to think you will lose anything in this scenario...

If you ABSOLUTELY cannot wait for another one to be ordered/built... I would put the following proposal on the table...

Someone (other than you) will have the RV returned to Newmar to make the necessary corrections.. Once the corrections have been made.. Someone (other than you) will pay for the "factory" delivery option.. Delivery/acceptance will be determined once the work has been inspected and meets YOUR approval...

Good Luck !!
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 12:55 PM   #34

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
I agree "Call Newmar" and explain the issue. I bet they will make it right and then deal with the dealer themselves.
Old 04-29-2015, 03:03 PM   #35

Newmar Owners Club
Yep,
It is time to contact Newmar management and get the straight story as to who is going to correct the problem. Also, who pays for the coach to be returned to Newmar. If managers do not help, escalate to the executives.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 03:26 PM   #36

On the documentation issue; when I ordered mine with a few "specials" Newmar would not even schedule production until I personally approved the production order and signed the actual drawings for the unique items we requested. The dealer was the middleman in all this and the salesman made sure there was a good paper trail, so we got what we ordered. Can't think this situation would have been different.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 03:27 PM   #37

I would not be concerned about Newmar factory fixing it right. We had some work done there and were very pleased with both the workmanship and the treatment we received from all the Newmar employees.
However, either Newmar or dealer needs to pick your costs to and from Napannee.
I don't see how the dealer can keep your deposit money if he did not fulfill the contract.
britcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 04:00 PM   #38

Newmar Owners Club
Before you take delivery make sure Newmar will fix the issue, don't assume they will. I don't thing Newmar will fix the issue if it was a dealer mistake.
2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 06:08 PM   #39

Been looking at Newmars and reading the disappointment posts is always unnerving. With that said, I think I feel the opposite of most. If we can afford these coaches we have resources to allow us to live a great life. I love that saying "first world problems". I think many people would just let it go. People screw up all the time. Mechanical issues need to be fixed, but if the colors aren't conflicting or would not hurt the resale...I say start enjoying the coach.

I will never order a coach for this very reason. I would buy new on the lot, maybe. I bet someone will love this coach when they buy it secondhand someday.

All the hand wringing in the world will never change the issue or bad taste even if it goes back and is "fixed', you still know it happened and feel a certain way about the dealer. Only way to truly make it ok is to make it ok with yourselves.

Good luck with your decision.
2wiresdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 07:48 PM   #40

Eric - the last paragraph in your post #33 just about covered what is happening. The dealer felt I was on the verge of walking and he didn't want another DS on his lot so he got on the phone with the right people at Newmar and agreed to just what you stated. I figured if I went ahead and paid for the coach and drove it to Newmar as the salesman implied, if the replacements didn't meet our approval it would just be "tough luck". Now Newmar has agreed that it will be up to our satisfaction when the coach is returned. Didn't think we could lose on a deal like that, other than the fact the dealer probably still won't return our deposit. He's been selling Newmars since 1995 and must have lots of pull with the right Newmar people.

Len - I have no way of posting pictures. If you have a 2015 DS brochure about the 2nd & 3rd pages from the front are pictures of the Cordova interior, which we ordered, showing a dark back splash behind the countertop. Then about 4 pages more is a picture of the Toffee interior with the lighter colored counter top/back splash, which was the special we ordered as a replacement for the darker one. They got the counter top right but screwed up on the back splash, and they admitted it was their fault. My copy of the order was correct and so was the one the salesman submitted.

We just have to hold our breath for the next couple of weeks.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 07:59 PM   #41

I'm glad it's working out for you.
Freestyle21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 09:38 PM   #42

Entegra Owners Club
I find it unfathomable that the dealer would expect you to forfeit your deposit if you walk away....Sounds like you are trying to be reasonable and they are trying to force you to accept something you don't want, because they don't want it on their lot...interesting...no way I would forfeit a deposit, and if it gets to that point...get a lawyer. They are going to get the opportunity to return your deposit and pay your lawyers fees assuming the paperwork shows what you ordered and what was delivered was in error.

OTOH, if Newmar will pay the costs and drive the coach back to the factory, then ask for factory delivery of the "fixed"coach (and I wouldn't think it would be that hard to change out the backsplash). The additional miles are nothing, and your warrantee won't start until you sign for the coach. You'd find it fascinating to visit the factory and worth the trip. But I wouldn't sign for the coach, assuming financial responsibility, until it is fixed. All, JMHO (including what sounds to be an unreputable dealer's approach).
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dutch star