Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-04-2018, 02:06 PM   #1

X15 getting the same fuel economy as ISL

Really enjoying the extra performance here in Wyoming with the new Cummins X15 engine. From talking with other Newmar owners here at the Newmar Kountry Klub rally this is very close to what they are getting which is 7 to 7.5 miles per gallon here in the mountains and wind. The new X15 series engine is noticeably better fuel economy then our 500 ISM in our Essex. Cummins is really making progress with keeping the performance but still getting better fuel economy. A number of ISL Dutch Star owners were complaining about their poor hill pulling power. The bottom line is the new X15 doesn't use as fuel as one would think. Newmar Man
tom chelbana is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2018, 03:02 PM   #2

Love that big motor. It was funny when I had a oil change at Speedco last year; the truckers were coming over to check it out and could not believe they put a 600HP in a Motorhome. Since this is my first RV I really have no frame of reference to fuel economy I just feed it and go. The power in the mountains was amazing I was passing trucks like they were crawling. (I owe a thanks to IRV2 for educating me in choosing the Spartan K3 as a must have when I was shopping for a coach).

Coral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 07:36 PM   #3

The Spartan K-3 with 600 plus X-15 has to be the best chassis available today other then the 2 million dollar coaches. With the 7 plus fuel economy at 57K pounds weight it's a eye opener. Did get our London Aire weight here in Gillette at the Newmar rally and the reading were within a couple hundred pounds from those we got at the weight stations in Oregon that were closed. With 18 Dodge Durango the total comes to over 57K pounds.
Newmar Man
tom chelbana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 04:23 AM   #4

I wish the dutch star (or the MA) had an option for the 605. Test drove the DS in Florida and I felt like it was lacking power. Worried about performance out west where we spend a lot of time.
David
kdnash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 11:31 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdnash View Post
I wish the dutch star (or the MA) had an option for the 605. Test drove the DS in Florida and I felt like it was lacking power. Worried about performance out west where we spend a lot of time.
David
The only time I feel that our 2017 could use more power is going up significant grades. I have talked to owners of coaches with 600 HP engines, and some have said that the extra HP doesn't make that much of a difference since their coach is heavier and they might be towing a much heavier tow vehicle than we do.
Old 07-05-2018, 11:42 AM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have an ISX 650 in my CC. Over 50,000 miles it's averaging 7.6 mpg and two rebuilds due to dropped valves in #6. Wonderful power, decent fuel mileage (about the same as our previous '02 DSDP 4090 with ISC and Banks kit).
They have cured the valve breaking problem with the new head, valves, turbo and ECM programming but Cummins is refusing to do any warranty extension to cover the known problem.
The ISX 15's don't, as of yet, have the problems
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 03:11 AM   #7

Kevin,

Thanks for the reply on the DSDP performance. I am really trying not to let a few test drives set the stage for me not getting one.
David
kdnash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 05:54 PM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I wasn't especially impressed with the performance of my 2014 Dutch Star with the ISL. My previous coach was a 2005 Monaco Diplomat with a 400 ISL. It was chipped and had a specialized radiator fan. It would pull ANY grade out west at 55+ and had the power to recover if cut off.

When I first got the Dutch Star with the 450 ISL, I almost cried on the grades. Some were held to about 47 mph in 4th gear.

I now have 40K on the coach and I'm still trying different things on hill climbs. We just returned from a 3K trip to Yellowstone where we climbed the Baker Grade into Vegas, various grades through the Teton area and into Yellowstone and then the monster grades through Oregon, Siskyous and Shasta Lake.

On the grades that are fairly straight and reasonably short, I started bumping the coach up to about 65 mph in 5th, with a good running start and pulled many grades without losing power.

In the past, on steeper hills, I was limiting my 4th gear climbing to about 47-48 mph because I felt I was over revving the engine and missing the optimum power band. This trip, I started running it harder and cranked up 4th gear to about 52 - 53 mph, turning somewhere around 2100+ rpm. The coach didn't seem to mind.

The moral of the story. When I owned my Diplomat, I would drop it into 5th, set the cruise at 55-60 mph and relax while I climbed any grade. With the Dutch Star, I can get it to climb, but I have to be very interactive with gear shifting, initial speed at the base of the grade speed and throttle control.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 05:00 PM   #9

Tom or Don, did either of you happen to be staying at Grizzly RV Park in West Yellowstone around July 2-4? The reason I ask is I was there and there were several Newmar MH's camped there with banners hanging from the front of the coach. Didn't get an opportunity to read the banner or stop by their camps.
CP598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 05:11 PM   #10
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Just brought our brand new Mountain Aire 4047 (K3 500 w/ISX) across Wyoming yesterday and today, Mileage was 7.4 mpg. Ran the generator most of the day yesterday while moving to use the AC. Temps were 95+ degrees outside; very comfortable inside. Today, it was cooler and we didn't need the outside AC.

Thus far, mileage is a little better than I expected for a coach with less than 2K miles on it.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel