Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-18-2016, 08:42 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Xantrex 2000 watt inverter/charger

I just got my coach home (finally) and went to turn off everything but for the life of me I cannot figure out how to turn on the charger inverter.

The coach is not hooked up to power at this time and won't be once I put it in the storage yard. So, how do I insure no battery drain? and that everything is off?

Yes, dumb questions but my coach came with minimal operations manuals and I have been doing the "learning as you go" thing here on iRV2.

Thanks in advance.

Charlie and Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2016, 08:59 AM   #2

Have you tried the Xantrex web site for a pdf of the users manual ?

Old 11-18-2016, 09:04 AM   #3

The best way to insure no battery drain is to remove the negetive battery cable or cables from the battery or batteries.
Old 11-18-2016, 09:09 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Have you tried the Xantrex web site for a pdf of the users manual ?
Actually no, but great idea. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
The best way to insure no battery drain is to remove the negetive battery cable or cables from the battery or batteries.
Once winterized that is what I will do. Thanks
Old 11-18-2016, 09:24 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
My 2002 DS has a power switch up on the panel where all the other switches/info center are. My understanding is that this will turn off all power to the internal equipment in the coach, including the convertor (which means no battery charging).
Old 11-18-2016, 01:53 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJOL View Post
My 2002 DS has a power switch up on the panel where all the other switches/info center are. My understanding is that this will turn off all power to the internal equipment in the coach, including the convertor (which means no battery charging).
When I push the the "store" button the indicator light goes off but Xantrex is still operating. Is this what it supose to do?
Old 11-18-2016, 02:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie72704 View Post
When I push the the "store" button the indicator light goes off but Xantrex is still operating. Is this what it supose to do?
The inverter is most likely connected directly to the batteries.

There should be a 250 to 300 amp fuse in the positive cable.

They do that so the high current does not have to pass thru the disconnect solenoid. The shorter the cables to an inverter the better.
Old 11-18-2016, 03:56 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Turn your inverter switch off also or it will drain your coach batteries and start beeping until they are totally drained.
Old 12-05-2016, 07:56 PM   #9

My Xantrex has the remote panel with on/off switch. The other models I have seen have the same panel or something similar on the unit. It is likely there is a on/off button you need to turn off. The power draw is very small with it off. Small while on, but any drain will drain your batteries.
Old 12-05-2016, 08:23 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief400 View Post
Turn your inverter switch off also or it will drain your coach batteries and start beeping until they are totally drained.
yes that's what the op asked in the first post where and how to turn it off
Old 12-05-2016, 08:46 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
And, I still remain confused about what to do. I am leaning towards, just insuring a full charge on all batteries and then disconnecting the coach and starting batteries completely. Where the coach will be stored, I have no way to keep a float charge on them.

We are in Florida until the 26th then to Texas. Weather dependent I may be winterizing once we get there.

After the New Year we will be headed back to Fayetteville where I will need to put the coach to bed for the winter.
Old 12-05-2016, 10:10 PM   #12

Quote:
And, I still remain confused about what to do. I am leaning towards, just insuring a full charge on all batteries and then disconnecting the coach and starting batteries completely. Where the coach will be stored, I have no way to keep a float charge on them.

We are in Florida until the 26th then to Texas. Weather dependent I may be winterizing once we get there.

After the New Year we will be headed back to Fayetteville where I will need to put the coach to bed for the winter.
remove ground cables both start batterys and house batterys
guaranteed no drain then
what I do because I have 3000 watt xantrex inverter and its live
(power draw) even when shut off
Old 12-22-2016, 08:01 PM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
Charlie in Fayetteville: I have a Xantrex RS2000 and a Xantrex SW3000. I'm not sure which Xantrex 2000 you have, but for my RS2000, there are four modes I can use: Operate, Power Save, Safe and Hibernate. I would recommend Hibernate for any long term storage and minimal battery drain. This mode removes network power from the System Control Panel and all Xanbus-enabled devices on the Xanbus system except for the RS2000 itself. Hibernate mode is typically used when the coach is left unattended for long periods of time to prevent battery drain during long periods of inactivity, e.g., storage. Note, if there are any active faults noted on the System Control Panel, one must first clear the fault(s) and the condition that caused the active fault(s) before the system can be put into Hibernate mode from the SCP.

Once in Hibernate mode, the SCP cannot restore the Operating mode. Return to the Operating mode can be done several ways, with the easiest being hooking up shore power or starting your generator. If an inverter/charger supplies power to the Xantrex network, you can also restore the operating mode by pressing the "reset" button on the Xantrex inverter/charger front panel.

If you have the Xantrex SW2000 (or SW3000) or one of almost any of their units except the RS series, you can find the owner's manual at the Xantrex web site.

If you have the RS2000 and can't find an operating manual on the Internet any longer, send me an email and I will send you a pdf copy of any sections you might need generated from my original copy.

Hope the above helps,
Ray Robinson
ray@rkri.com
robbyray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 08:59 AM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are many differentr models of Xantrex products.

Mine is the Prosine 2.0 Now this is different from some other models

on the Prosine there are 2 or 3 switches
One is "The big Red Switch" as we used to say, do not know without checking if it's red or not but it is BIG and it's on the inverter itself

3 Positions ON/OFF/REMOTE (on if you do not have that Remote)

In this case the "Remote" is an on/off toggle,, (Switch closed = Inverter off as I recall) if the switch is not present then REMOTE is the same as ON.

Then there is a Remote Panel (not the same as the remote switch) It has three switches and as I recall about 5 buttons. and an LCD display

one switch controls the display, and some other stuff
Next switch controls the INVERTER.. ON = Automatic, OFF = Disabled
The final switfch controls the charger.. Same as Inverter

With the BIG SWITCH off, (or on remote and that switch set to OFF) no power passes in any direction, No AC out, NO DC out, no power draw save for control power on the REMOTE if you have it.

With the BIG SWITCH ON (or on Remote with the REMOTE either on or missing). then ::::

With shore power present and both switches on (Inverter does not matter) the unit CHARGES batteries

With shore power absent and INVERTER switch on (Charger does not matter) Inverter powers loads

With shore power on and BOTH switches off... Power passes through (120v)
With shore power OFF and both switches OFF no power passes. Save for control and display, if you have the display on.

Tags
inverter, xantrex