RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2018, 06:11 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Xcite radio with no GPS

having trouble with the nav function on my xcite radio. Have the Rand Dock software and my nav card is up to date.
When I power up the radio, select nav function, then insert the sd card, I get a map, but the gps is disabled (red circle with line thru it). I have rebooted the radio many times, have used the battery disconnect to kill power to the coach, then restarted with the same result. The gps remains disabled when we are traveling or when we are parked.

About to take it to the dealer, but wonder if anyone out there has any ideas?

Thanks,

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2018, 06:24 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I don't have my coach yet and haven't played with the Xcite radio, but if like others I've used. Doesn't the card need to be inserted before you turn on the radio/NAV. The card usually has startup info.

Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 06:34 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I picked my coach up this week and was also having issues with the gps. It was more of a slow running or locking up issue instead of what you described. Dealer got me a new card and it made it work perfectly! So far at least....
Old 10-22-2018, 08:05 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I don't have my coach yet and haven't played with the Xcite radio, but if like others I've used. Doesn't the card need to be inserted before you turn on the radio/NAV. The card usually has startup info.

Yeah, Don. Instructions say start the radio- then a prompt will appear to install the nav card. You can watch it load and start up, but that hasnít solved the problem. Looks like I need a new card.
Old 10-22-2018, 08:12 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Ernie.....Have you tried erasing and setting up the card again. Maybe it glitched during setup. Get it figured out so you can help me in two weeks when my coach gets here. :-)
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 08:38 PM   #6

I don't know what instructions those are, but the card stays inserted all the time. Ours has only been ejected twice to update the maps.
Old 10-22-2018, 08:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finance View Post
I don't know what instructions those are, but the card stays inserted all the time. Ours has only been ejected twice to update the maps.
Here are the instructions for updating the SD CARD. Steps 19 and on describe starting the radio first and then inserting the SD card when prompted.

Rand McNally Card Update Procedure

Quote:
1) Remove your Rand McNally SD card from the Xite radio.
2) Download the Rand Dock Software here. Be sure your machine meets the requirements with
either XQuartz for Mac or .net Framework for Windows installed and you have a functioning SD
Card Reader available.
3) Install the software to your computer and fill in the registration information (note: this will not
be required if you have already registered with the software).
4) Insert the Rand McNally SD card into your SD Card Reader.
5) Start the rand Dock Software if it does not start automatically.
6) If you receive a warning:

Follow the instructions.
7) If not. Select the Register for Lifetime Maps option (note: this option will not be available if you
have already registered with Rand McNally).

8) Once registered select the Update Available Option (note: if your device is up to date this will
show “Your Device Is Up To Date”)

9) Allow the update to initiate and press the Begin Download button:

10) Once the new updates have downloaded you will be prompted to transfer the data to your SD
Card. Click the Transfer button:

11) When complete the Rand Dock should show that there are no updates available.

12) There may also be a map update available. Your Xite device has free lifetime updates but the
card must be registered. Press the Register for Lifetime maps button (if you have already
registered this will not be present).

13) Fill in the registration information and click the Submit button
14) If there are Map Updates available, you will now see the option available. If not, you are done
updating. If the Map Update Available button shows, press it now.

15) The next screen will prompt to download the maps.

16) Once the download is finished you will be prompted to install it.

17) When finished you will see “Install Complete”. Press the Back button.
18) At this point both the software and maps are up to date.
19) Remove the SD card and go back to the Xite radio.
20) Do not install the SD card.
21) Turn the radio on.
22) Select the Rand McNally application and insert the card when asked.

This procedure should be followed before each trip to be sure you have the latest updates for construction data etc. on your system.
tnedator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 09:10 PM   #8

I read the OP to say he's turning on the unit and inserting the card each use. Perhaps that's not he meant.

Have you tried leaving the card in and power cycling it?

Tags
gps, radio