RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2018, 01:02 PM   #1

Xite Radio/GPS Battery Management Modification - Mike Mas

Hello Newmar “Smart” RV Owners!

If you like myself and countless others who own “Smart” RV’s, then right about now, your more than likely pulling what little hair you have left dealing with batteries that only last days at a time.

Regretfully the wonderful Xite radio / GPS system in our RV’s has a lot of short falls. One of its biggest faults is the fact at times it will not allow you to power the radio down. Another fault is; even by using the walk-out battery switch, it still will not provide a “Full” re-boot.

This mod simply entails a method of disconnecting the power source. When you complete this simple mod, you’ll be able to shut down the system by flipping a switch on the dash. As a bonus, for the first time ever, you’ll force the Xite radio to perform a “Hard Boot” which is something the Xite needs to operate correctly. This re-boot will be evident as you watch both monitors booting with the left side being the radio and the right side being the GPS system. On past trips my Xite/GPS has been plagued with problems. If I had the capability, I could have avoided a lot of problems, since the Xite system is constantly getting confused. My best advice to all RV owners who use Xite is to have your Co-Pilot put the same route in their phone or you’ll be asking for trouble.

On the New Aire, lift the top cover on the dash and lay a towel to protect the surface. Next, among the thousands of wires that Newmar failed to route properly, you’ll find the Xite Radio/GPS module. Next, carefully extract the Xite’s “Guts” out of the dash, being very careful not to unplug or tug on anything. After laying it on the towel, look on the rear of the set and you see what seems to be hundreds of wires exiting the set. Look for a small fuse holder on the bundle. Mine had a 10 amp fuse installed. Use a pair of pliers and remove the fuse and to be extra safe, kill the walk out battery switch as well.

What we’ll be doing is simply cutting the wire on the back side of the fuse. Then we’ll hook these two wires to any switch, so we can break the connections when we like. On the New Aire there is a few blank positions on the dash switch panel. I ordered a same switch off Ebay for around a few bucks, its marked dock lights, but its not a problem for me. This switch is where we’ll terminate the two wires from the fuse holder.

Make sure you cut the wire between the radio and the fuse block, this way, all your wiring to the switch on the dash will also be protected by the same fuse. Rather than crimp the wires on the fuse, I elected solder them and use shrink tubing to finish the job. Next, run the wires to the switch and crimp on a few spade connectors, then slide them on the switch. Next, re-install the fuse and power the walk out switch and try your new Xite power switch. The first thing you’ll notice is a totally different re-boot than you have seen before.

Before you slide the radio back in the dash, spend 30 minutes or so to isolate some of the wire groups in the dash and tidy them up with some tie-wraps. The second large module in the dash is the Silverleaf monitor module which will need some tie-wraps as well. I spent hours on my New Aire dash wiring and it actually looks almost normal, I can see all the way down to the floor now.

As I mentioned, on your first power-up you’ll see the Xite boot in a different manner than before. I’m not exactly sure why this is happening, perhaps some data was being held in E-PROM during normal shut down and now when we cut the power at the fuse, it might force a “Full Re-Boot”.

In conclusion, this simple mod will provide the control you need to help manage your batteries as well as reduce the constant draw of this “current eating” radio system. For those who would like more battery protection, I have included a link below of my detailed article on a “third Level” battery control mod - Enjoy!

Be Safe Guys - Mike

3 Level House Battery Fix for Smart RV’s - Mike Mas

Idleup is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2018, 01:23 PM   #2

Good post. I was going to do that but got stopped with the issue of power to the two HD panels.

On my NA each HD panel appears to be powered by separate leads not connected to the head unit via that fuse connection you point out. Instead, it appears the head unit and HD panels are powered by a fuse back near the battery switch labeled "F3 Dash & Exterior Radio Clocks". F3 is on the "Constant Battery Power Fuse Panel". In addition the HD camera module runs of F6 on the same buss not controlled by the battery master switch.

So to kill all power to all the Xite components (head unit, panels and HD cameras) we need to find a way to switch the output of both F3 and F6.

Having a switch on the Xite head unit is a good start for sure since it likely has the highest amp draw.

Old 05-28-2018, 02:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbopilot View Post
Good post. I was going to do that but got stopped with the issue of power to the two HD panels.

On my NA each HD panel appears to be powered by separate leads not connected to the head unit via that fuse connection you point out. Instead, it appears the head unit and HD panels are powered by a fuse back near the battery switch labeled "F3 Dash & Exterior Radio Clocks". F3 is on the "Constant Battery Power Fuse Panel". In addition the HD camera module runs of F6 on the same buss not controlled by the battery master switch.

So to kill all power to all the Xite components (head unit, panels and HD cameras) we need to find a way to switch the output of both F3 and F6.
Quote:
Having a switch on the Xite head unit is a good start for sure since it likely has the highest amp draw.
Turbo,

Try pulling the fuse on the radio, on my coach it pulls down everything. There must be a feed from the radio to power the monitors. (I'm thinking)

Mike

Old 05-28-2018, 02:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idleup View Post

Turbo,

Try pulling the fuse on the radio, on my coach it pulls down everything. There must be a feed from the radio to power the monitors. (I'm thinking)

Mike

Been a while since I traced the wires. Coach is 350 miles away right now. I think the panels will go dark once the HDMI plug from the head unit has no power but the panels are still drawing power. Could be wrong. Need to double check.
Old 05-28-2018, 02:46 PM   #5

Turbo - the mole connectors to the monitors are still powered. The best way I can explain the way the monitors work is; like your home TV, the power is on to the set, but it takes logic or signal from the Xite for them to operate.

Any monitor that is on, even without signal, will create some heat, my monitors are dead cold as long as the Xite is switched off.
Old 05-28-2018, 03:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idleup View Post

Any monitor that is on, even without signal, will create some heat, my monitors are dead cold as long as the Xite is switched off.
If they are drawing little power not worth the effort to switch them. When I am back at the coach I will use my BMS to measure the two panels current draw.

I would guess it would make sense to switch the Xite 360 HD camera head unit. It probably draws a fair amount of power since it provides power to the 4 HD external cameras.
Old 05-28-2018, 05:58 PM   #7

Quote:
If they are drawing little power not worth the effort to switch them. When I am back at the coach I will use my BMS to measure the two panels current draw.
Quote:
I would guess it would make sense to switch the Xite 360 HD camera head unit. It probably draws a fair amount of power since it provides power to the 4 HD external cameras.

I can check it, but I feel like a TV set with a remote, they are not drawing anything until they are switched on.

Mike

Old 05-28-2018, 06:56 PM   #8

A TV is in "Idle" mode when "Off" There is a small amount of current being used just to "watch" for an IR power On request. That would be the "IdleUp" request for you
Old 05-28-2018, 07:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
A TV is in "Idle" mode when "Off" There is a small amount of current being used just to "watch" for an IR power On request. That would be the "IdleUp" request for you

Thanks for the reply Dav - yes on a TV there is some minor current from the IR receiver, however on the New Aire, the monitors power is triggered from the Xite radio itself when powered up.

I ran a amperage test tonight on the Xite radio and when its "Off or On" (by its own knob or house mode) mine still draws a steady 4.7 amps, so we can expect to see some major improvements in battery life with the Xite cut-off switch on the dash.

Regards - Mike

Old 05-30-2018, 04:07 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
The Winnebago Grand Tour I traded in for the New Aire had an Xite system just like the New Aire with a radio switch on the dash called “House”. The Xite would turn on and off with the ignition key and did a hard reboot every time it turned on. The Radio switch on the dash allowed you to turn on the Xite when the ignition was turned off so you could listen to the radio when parked at a campground.

The Mod that Mike has completed on his Xite sounds to be the exact way the Xite was installed on the Winnebago. I will order a switch and get it installed in my coach as soon as possible.

Thanks Mike for all your help.
Old 06-04-2018, 07:51 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by John.Ferrari View Post
The Winnebago Grand Tour I traded in for the New Aire had an Xite system just like the New Aire with a radio switch on the dash called “House”. The Xite would turn on and off with the ignition key and did a hard reboot every time it turned on. The Radio switch on the dash allowed you to turn on the Xite when the ignition was turned off so you could listen to the radio when parked at a campground.

The Mod that Mike has completed on his Xite sounds to be the exact way the Xite was installed on the Winnebago. I will order a switch and get it installed in my coach as soon as possible.

Thanks Mike for all your help.
Thanks for the reply John - I'm sure you'll enjoy having it available, sure beats their soft switch which seldom works!

Mike

Tags
battery, cat, gps, radio