Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2018, 10:59 AM   #29

This won't help the OP but I'll throw this out there....

It seems like Newmar should strong arm dealers that won't work on Newmar products if they are not the selling dealer. This would be a good topic to bring to Newmar execs at the next Q&A session.

FYI-There are two RV dealers that are also Freightliner service centers-North Trail in Fort Myers and Lazy Days in Tampa.
RMD3819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2018, 11:02 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMD3819 View Post
FYI-There are two RV dealers that are also Freightliner service centers-North Trail in Fort Myers and Lazy Days in Tampa.
Perfect combination. Sure wished I lived near those dealers. We have nothing like that in the Western US.
turbopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 11:21 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbopilot View Post
Thanks. Now I feel much better.

A race to the bottom.
Ok, have fun wallowing.
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 11:24 AM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by "007" View Post
I have no problem with what you suggest but you may find its not consistent all the time, because some members may deal with dealers differently and get the service they want.
Maybe take a different approach - Dealers that actual did perform warranty work for non-buyers.

Back in 2013 I experienced first hand a very good dealership in Oregon, Guaranty RV, that not only helped me, but did so quickly and professionally. They were instrumental in the discovery of all my slide issues that eventually went back to Newmar factory for final repair.

IMHO, negative posts are usually read and forgotten. Positive posts are referred to over and over, and lead to better sales for that dealer. It is much easier to measure the growth based on a positive feedback for the dealer, than it is to measure the loss of sale from a negative post.
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 11:38 AM   #33

Quote:
Perfect combination. Sure wished I lived near those dealers. We have nothing like that in the Western US.
We do: Transwest in Colorado.

These dealers are super handy when the problem is at the interface between house and chassis components, too, since there's no finger-pointing or coordination needed.
Old 05-20-2018, 11:50 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebster View Post
We do: Transwest in Colorado.

These dealers are super handy when the problem is at the interface between body and chassis components, too, since there's no finger-pointing or coordination needed.
Looks like another list for 007. I would travel some distance to work with a dealer who could handle the entire coach.
turbopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 12:03 PM   #35

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Looks like another list for 007. I would travel some distance to work with a dealer who could handle the entire coach.
X2 - I don't mind traveling for good service.
Old 05-20-2018, 12:03 PM   #36

I'm afraid that, at an industry level, the market has mostly spoken here. They are definitely underfunding their service liability, and this deficit gets foisted back onto the customer base in an uneven (random) manner. It may be more important to get the word out for other newbies considering a purchase, so their expectations are set appropriately low, than to try to bend the whole industry to deliver at a different cost and performance level. Threads like yours do help with telling that story.

One thing I like to do with these toys is just to factor in a substantial buffer to account for maintenance and repairs. The real cost of the average Newmar, or any other brand of coaches in this price tier, is quite a bit higher in year one, unless you have a special dealer, you enjoy trips to Nappanee in all seasons of the year, or you get lucky playing the game of Defect Dice Roll.

(On the other hand, I think you will find the service experience improves dramatically once you are footing the bill.)

The experience you have had is one reason why I think the high end class A motorhome industry is particularly well-suited to buying used. You avoid being an inadvertent beta tester, you get to skip the warranty repair shenanigans, people do generally take good care of their coaches, and you can retrofit a lot of the newfangled technology you want with some of the substantial savings. This works best if you are technically-oriented and are willing to get involved.

p.s. Whatever you do, don't go buy a sailing catamaran. That would allow you to fully realize the darkest possible depths of the post-sale service experience!
Old 05-20-2018, 12:17 PM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
As a full timer with no real home. I suspect getting warranty service while traveling would not be as difficult as if my real home is just across town and I bought 2000 miles away. I don’t know specifically about Newmar dealers but I do see the problem is industry wide. several full time folks and those in “Vacation” mode miles from home are treated differently and while not immediate are worked in. Living in Michigan and buying new in Texas is the “ problem “ dealers seem to want to make you think about that choice ... That has been my experience. Is it fair ? Guess it depends on if your a dealer or a buyer Dealers feel the buyer is being unfair buying elsewhere to save a few $ then expect the local dealer to get paid the lowball minimum rate Newmar and others pay to solve all the problems. They weren’t good enough to buy from but are relied upon to solve all the problems. I disagree but do see their point.
Old 05-20-2018, 12:39 PM   #38

This thread has my blood boiling.... Diesel Motorhomes are far too expensive to deal with subpar warranty experiences. Simple principles of customer service, as soon as you take your customers for granted, you will lose them. The problem here is it’s industry wide, the dealer must decide who’s side they are on. When you have a problem with your motorhome, it ruins your vacation and/or pleasure of ownership. When the fix for that issue becomes a bigger issue, that’s just unacceptable for a “recreational vehicle”. Here’s a recent tweet from Tesla, a company that has far less profit margins in their vehicles but sees the big picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3A8AB105-1B1F-407F-85A2-43604ECF67D6.jpeg
Views:	84
Size:	313.6 KB
ID:	203523  
FSU Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 01:20 PM   #39

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to millerj Send a message via Yahoo to millerj
Newmar is one of the best but still way too many issues after the sale. They need to spend more time correcting these issues. The rv industry like most industries is very output driven. They want production to equal a certain number per day regardless of the issues that may be encountered during that days production. Many years ago I worked at several different rv manufacturers and if a person held up production for any issue quality or otherwise you would catch hell not only from management but also your coworkers. Newmar should also dictate to dealers that they will handle any service problem for a Newmar motor home or they won't be a Newmar dealer.
Old 05-20-2018, 01:39 PM   #40

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerj View Post
Newmar is one of the best but still way too many issues after the sale. They need to spend more time correcting these issues. The rv industry like most industries is very output driven. They want production to equal a certain number per day regardless of the issues that may be encountered during that days production. Many years ago I worked at several different rv manufacturers and if a person held up production for any issue quality or otherwise you would catch hell not only from management but also your coworkers. Newmar should also dictate to dealers that they will handle any service problem for a Newmar motor home or they won't be a Newmar dealer.
Newmar does actually hold their dealers to a standard. I purchased from a dealer in 2013 that did not meet this standard and is no longer a dealer for newmar. I have no idea what this standard is, just know that it does exist.
Old 05-20-2018, 01:57 PM   #41

Newmar Owners Club
Unhappy Yikes

We are in the market for a gas Baystar. We are completely new to Rving. This sounds like a headache we would really not like to have and the whole reason we have not jumped into RVing sooner. Now I am wondering if it even makes sense to get a Newmar. There are options with other less expensive brands that are built on same foundation and similar floor plans. The only reason we thought Newmar was because we have no skills for break downs and we wanted quality and service. If that is no longer true for Newmar, is it worth just getting a different less expensive brand? I am reading that there are now so many RVs on the road that service is already more difficult than ever before. This thread is making me think that we need to rethink. Sigh.
RoamerDFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 02:14 PM   #42

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoamerDFW View Post
We are in the market for a gas Baystar. We are completely new to Rving. This sounds like a headache we would really not like to have and the whole reason we have not jumped into RVing sooner. Now I am wondering if it even makes sense to get a Newmar. There are options with other less expensive brands that are built on same foundation and similar floor plans. The only reason we thought Newmar was because we have no skills for break downs and we wanted quality and service. If that is no longer true for Newmar, is it worth just getting a different less expensive brand? I am reading that there are now so many RVs on the road that service is already more difficult than ever before. This thread is making me think that we need to rethink. Sigh.
Newmar is one of the better ones. It gets worse from here. Also you are reading about edge case, limited issues around a specific model. The baystar is not heavy on new technology. It may still have issues, and the dealer network is also still the same problematic network, but again, better here than most.

Tags
service, ems, air, problems