Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2018, 04:42 PM   #99

Just took delivery of my New Aire 3343 this week (ordered in January); this thread made me very hesitant to go through with the purchase and just keep my 4369 DS. Never any problems with the DS, and very impressed with the overall package.

Ben (cinergi) I can feel some of your pain and frustration, having had a similar horrible experience with an American Coach I bought back in 2003; several breakdowns, two “tows” on lowboys. Dealer, Chassis (Spartan) and manufacturer all passed the buck, no help, finally gave up and traded for Newmar couple years later.

Maybe you can get this unit to the factory to finally get everything rectified once and for all ? Disgusting that you have had to endure all this torture!!

New Subject: THANK YOU for all the YouTube videos on the New Aire and it’s components!! Watching all of them made my transition to the New Aire much easier; now I just hope my euphoria with the New Aire does not fade by it ending up being a lemon like you have experienced!
Johnidaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2018, 11:50 PM   #100

Gives me a headache just reading this. Makes me glad that I'm just a poor schlob that can only afford to buy used. Don't know the answer but it sure is scary to someone like me, that has it in the back of their head that maybe the next one I'll buy new.
Old 05-25-2018, 11:26 AM   #101

[QUOTE=cinergi;4199330]In my case, I did the research. Both on Newmar, service, and where I purchased it from. I spent months doing so, including renting one. Nothing I read or experienced prepared me for what I've encountered.

Cinergi, With all do respect you couldn’t have possibly done research on Albany RV and come away pleased or with any trust...?
They have one of the WORST BBB ratings that I have ever seen in any field...period.
I live in Albany and traveled to a dealer closer to you ( the one u were on the phone with,them and Newmar recently) for my purchase just based on there reputation. They have been great.
I test drove the unit u ended up purchasing and it had many problems.
Now Newmar is helping you get service from the non-selling dealer with the excellent service...right? So maybe you should mention that?
I am currently in Gafney SC getting my NA repaired because Cummings puts some cheap non worm clamps on its coolant hoses on the top of the engine.
There have been other glitches with the unit that I did FPU with about a month ago. Diamond RV and Newmar have been excellent.
timekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 06:55 AM   #102

My Momma always told me "never buy a 1st year new design car" guess this applies to Motor homes as well.
bonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 07:45 AM   #103

[QUOTE=timekeeper;4207806]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinergi View Post
In my case, I did the research. Both on Newmar, service, and where I purchased it from. I spent months doing so, including renting one. Nothing I read or experienced prepared me for what I've encountered.

Cinergi, With all do respect you couldn’t have possibly done research on Albany RV and come away pleased or with any trust...?
They have one of the WORST BBB ratings that I have ever seen in any field...period.
I live in Albany and traveled to a dealer closer to you ( the one u were on the phone with,them and Newmar recently) for my purchase just based on there reputation. They have been great.
I test drove the unit u ended up purchasing and it had many problems.
Now Newmar is helping you get service from the non-selling dealer with the excellent service...right? So maybe you should mention that?
I am currently in Gafney SC getting my NA repaired because Cummings puts some cheap non worm clamps on its coolant hoses on the top of the engine.
There have been other glitches with the unit that I did FPU with about a month ago. Diamond RV and Newmar have been excellent.
He did on post 95.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 05:19 PM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by timekeeper View Post
Quote:
In my case, I did the research. Both on Newmar, service, and where I purchased it from. I spent months doing so, including renting one. Nothing I read or experienced prepared me for what I've encountered.
At least at the time, the reviews there looked to be within the same ballpark as others (albeit on the lower end). However, the majority of my message here has nothing to do with them. I had no intention of bringing my RV to them for service so I only considered their reviews from the perspective of a buyer.

Quote:
I did. And I'll report on it after they've worked on it. I drop it off with them on June 9th.

Quote:
Freightliner in Hartford, CT just replaced a hose clamp for a coolant leak for me. Thus far, my experience there has been great (I haven't received it back yet).
Old 06-13-2018, 06:03 AM   #105

Update - 6/13/18

The unit was with Freightliner (Oasis) - Five Star Fire - from 5/23 through 6/8. That crew there is great. The three problems I went in with:
  1. Shimmy / shaking while driving
  2. Leak from engine area
  3. Wanted collision avoidance turned off

Only one item was quick and easy - the leak was indeed coolant. It's a thin red liquid - very unlike the coolant I'm used to in a car. There was a hose clamp issue which they resolved.

The collision avoidance was assumed (by everyone including FCCC corporate) to be installed by Freightliner and they initially took ownership. Upon beginning that work, they determined they were not the ones who installed it. Newmar must have. So I called Newmar and they have no procedure for disabling it. They suggested pulling the connector and/or pulling the fuse. It's not known if this would throw a code or disable standard (not adaptive) cruise control. I have yet to try this.

The shimmy is a much longer story because tire/wheel-related items are outsourced. It appears there were 2 (originally 3) issues. When I first brought the unit into a different Freightliner, they found that the right front wheel needed balancing. It drove better after that, but still not good.

FCCC had Five Star Fire do a "run out" check -- essentially a test to see how round the tire + wheel is. The spec calls for .4 or 40 or some such (I don't remember the units). It was at .8. Typical methods for correcting without replacing anything include remounting the tire at a different position on the wheel. It took a few tries (and two trips to the tire shop) but they finally got it to .3. The left was at .2. Five Star did a test drive and determined it still wasn't driving well (what a relief that someone other than I can feel it!). A couple more days at the tire shop determined that one of the inner rear rims needs to be replaced. However, these rims are "obsolete" so the lead time is, and I quote, "between 2 days and 2 weeks." That was as of 6/7 and I needed to drop off at Diamond RV on 6/9 ... and it logistically made more sense to move it to Diamond RV while the wheel was on order. So it's at Diamond RV now. The shimmy is definitely better than before but they're right -- still some issue remains.

EDIT: I also had them do annual service on the chassis and generator since I was there and because the generator's been a little weird (including shutting itself down for no apparent reason) so I had them check for codes and whatnot. Also picked up a bunch of spare parts.

This will go in another post, but while driving from Five Star to Diamond, someone hit me (and the Jeep I tow) while on the highway. Everyone's OK.
Both of my vehicles remained driveable (after replacing a tire on the Jeep) so I still got the New Aire to Diamond and now there's just additional work to do

For the 10 minutes that I was driving while towing, the New Aire did seem to be performing better after the service. But that wasn't enough time to tell.

EDIT #2: The New Aire desperately needs a real battery cutoff. Despite having the disconnect switch engaged and instructing them to plug the unit it, I'm reasonably certain the battery was run down because the inverter cut out (it was not turned off). I have the same issue leaving it at Diamond RV. Right now I'm having them run the generator (or hopefully configuring AGS). In 8 months of ownership, the batteries have gone well below 50% several times, all while being serviced.
Old 06-13-2018, 07:50 AM   #106

Quote:

The collision avoidance was assumed (by everyone including FCCC corporate) to be installed by Freightliner and they initially took ownership. Upon beginning that work, they determined they were not the ones who installed it. Newmar must have. So I called Newmar and they have no procedure for disabling it. They suggested pulling the connector and/or pulling the fuse. It's not known if this would throw a code or disable standard (not adaptive) cruise control. I have yet to try this.
They are just jacking you around on the OnGuard System. While this system's OEM is Wabco, it is most certainly installed by FreightLiner. It is baked into the backbone of the FreightLiner electrical system. Just trace and inspect the wiring for the system antenna. It is 100% FreightLiner. Newmar does not come close to FrieghtLiner wiring standards.

They are partially right about installation. The chassis is delivered to Newmar with the radar antenna hanging from a harness. It is Newmar's job to correctly install the antenna in the front fascia and do the labor intensive calibration process. It is my guess this is the part of the installation where all the problems happen.

It really upsets me when someone posts about a real problem only to have some wise guy come in to say "mine works fine" somehow implying the original poster is over stating the problem. By luck or skill somehow my NA's OnGuard System was delivered working by the book. The only issue I have is that a "legitimate" closure warning blows away my center gauges requiring me to key press my way back to the original settings. With more experience driving the NA OnGuard, I have learned not to follow too close to traffic in front (a good thing) which is responsible for 90% of collision alerts on my coach. In essence OnGuard is training me to increase my following distance to make all those closure warnings disappear. It is a real incentive. Given the weight of the NA with the Jeep in tow, the "alarm free" closure distance demanded by OnGuard is very sensible.

I have been driving a BMW X5 with another version of collision mitigation. The X5 uses haptic feedback and instrument panel warnings, no audio alerts. Other than driver alerting my New Aire OnGuard system works about the same as the X5. In other words it works just fine.

Rather than disconnecting the OnGuard System the pressure needs to be applied to Newmar to fly a techinician to every non functioning NA OnGuard System owner to "reinstall" and calibrated the system by the book. The human factors issues associated with OptiView alerting and OnGuard is most definitely a FreightLiner issue. Newmar can't change the code associated with OptiView.
turbopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 10:23 AM   #107

Originally Posted by RMD3819 View Post
FYI-There are two RV dealers that are also Freightliner service centers-North Trail in Fort Myers and Lazy Days in Tampa.
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbopilot View Post
Perfect combination. Sure wished I lived near those dealers. We have nothing like that in the Western US.
Trust me, you wouldn't like your experience dealing with either one. I have and learned my lesson
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 05:19 AM   #108

cinergi, sorry to hear about the bump and scrapes...

hope it is all easily and quickly fixed.......
willipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 06:16 AM   #109

EDIT #2: The New Aire desperately needs a real battery cutoff. Despite having the disconnect switch engaged and instructing them to plug the unit it, I'm reasonably certain the battery was run down because the inverter cut out (it was not turned off). I have the same issue leaving it at Diamond RV. Right now I'm having them run the generator (or hopefully configuring AGS). In 8 months of ownership, the batteries have gone well below 50% several times, all while being serviced.[/QUOTE]

There is a good Battery Shut-Off installation article at http://rotory.com/coach/battery
I have bought the necessary parts and intend to install it.

Saw your NA at Diamond the other day, how did the damage occur? Did the front damage happen at the same time?

I was there getting a new rear slide out motor / transmission/ gears. There Newmar expert found more wrong with the slide out....even though I had gone through FPO they did not have a small jumper on the slideout module or have it set up so the slide out knew when to stop?? I suspected something from the beginning as the slide out never seem to work smoothly as my previous bedroom slide out did on my Fleetwood. There guy found it and repaired it correctly Hats off to Diamond RV.
Glad to here your engine leak was repaired, sounded like the same hoses as mine that needed new (correct) worm clamps.
Keep us informed on the rest of your work as it progresses, espically the body work as I hear Diamond RV uses an excellent company for bodywork repair...would like to see a picture when finished.
Thanks again for all of your work in keeping us informed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New Aire Crashed Door.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	207222   Click image for larger version

Name:	New Aire Crashed Bumper 2.JPG
Views:	158
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	207223  

Click image for larger version

Name:	New Aire Bumper.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	207224  
timekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 08:00 PM   #110

Cinergi—I’m so sorry for all your issues. I’d be [emoji174]. You seem tough though so if anyone can deal with it, it’d be U. Hang in there...
Lilfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 10:30 PM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by timekeeper View Post

There is a good Battery Shut-Off installation article at http://rotory.com/coach/battery
I have bought the necessary parts and intend to install it.
Yes I saw thanks! I may do that and a shunt and BM...

Quote:
Saw your NA at Diamond the other day, how did the damage occur? Did the front damage happen at the same time?
I was in right slow lane and she was onramp and merged left into me so hit the right, slid left, began a spinout where she hit the side of the RV and then hit the side of the Jeep before spinning across the rest of the highway and finally coming to a stop.

Quote:
Keep us informed on the rest of your work as it progresses, espically the body work as I hear Diamond RV uses an excellent company for bodywork repair...would like to see a picture when finished.
Thanks again for all of your work in keeping us informed.
Yeah I'll post a dedicated thread for the accident.

Thanks for the thanks!
Old 06-15-2018, 10:32 PM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilfoot View Post
Cinergi—I’m so sorry for all your issues. I’d be [emoji174]. You seem tough though so if anyone can deal with it, it’d be U. Hang in there...
Thankyou so much. That's very kind of you to say. I got the even better news that there's bodily injury being claimed and they've hired a lawyer and are looking to lay blame in my direction.

Tags
service, ems, air, problems