Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2018, 08:34 AM   #1

Your door key may be a skeleton key!

Yesterday, a friend of mine with a 2014 Entegra Aspire locked himself out of his coach. After he called someone to unlock it, I decided to try my door key (not the top deadbolt, the bottom lock that is locked electronically) to unlock it.

It worked! And if my key works in HIS lock, you know what that means about his key.

Be aware of this. If you want extra security, consider locking your deadbolt.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2018, 08:56 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGriffin View Post
Yesterday, a friend of mine with a 2014 Entegra Aspire locked himself out of his coach. After he called someone to unlock it, I decided to try my door key (not the top deadbolt, the bottom lock that is locked electronically) to unlock it.

It worked! And if my key works in HIS lock, you know what that means about his key.

Thanks! .... I use my deadbolt exclusively. Can't remember the last time I used the Trimark.
Old 07-22-2018, 09:11 AM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
I have been told that there is only a handful of key cut variations for the non-deadbolt lock and the only way to be secure is to us the deadbolt. Thank you Mike for this confirming information.
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 09:29 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Funny, i helped a guy get into his bumper pull camper while ago, since his wife took off with the keys in their car. We always lock the deadbolt also.
Old 07-22-2018, 11:22 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I always use the deadbolt and not the other lock. I heard some time ago that some of those keys are universal. Why take a chance. It takes the same amount of time to lock/unlock either one.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 12:56 PM   #6

So did anyone check the deadbolt for duplicates?

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 04:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGriffin View Post

Thanks for bringing this up. Silly me, I thought the Tri/Mark locks were much more unique than that. All three of my RV's have double Tri/Mark locks -- and I only lock both when the RV's are in storage. When I'm using one of them, I just lock the lower handle lock -- not the deadbolt.

Guess this Old Dog will have to learn a new trick and change his ways.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
WoodyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 04:12 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
There is also the notion that not using the dead bolt will minimize the damage of someone that wants to break in to your RV. Some have described a lot of damage during break-ins that concluded not using the deadbolt would have been better. If someone wants in, weigh the consequences and also consider a web cam such as a Honeywell Lyric C2 which I use at home and the RV.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 04:47 PM   #9

I was told a while ago that ALL Newmars have the same lower lock key. Anyone with a Newmar (and apparently other coach manufacturers) essentially has a key to your coach if you don't use the deadbolt. That said, just getting back home from a 3 month 8000 mile trip, I never used anything but the lower (electronic) lock. Maybe I'm too trusting, but I've never had a problem with security. Could be our Belgian Mal....
lostinfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 07:42 PM   #10
JMH

Newmar Owners Club
At the Gillette rally the Newmar service tech told me if I was going to be away from the coach, to just use the door lock (not dead bolt) because the techs had the standard key and it would open any Newmar door. I always lock the deadbolt.
JMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 12:08 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
It will stop someone from entering your coach in busy park but at a dealership they may not even lock it or put on a alarm if you have one, a bad guy will smash your door window or another and get in and really damage your stuff as they remove it.
They, dealer, never used mine, which would have woke up neighbors or police as they went through six other coach's.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 02:28 PM   #12

I knew this and still typically only lock the lower tri-mark lock. Unfortunately for me I have to slam the bejesus our of the door to be able to use the dead bolt which we do lock for travel.
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 04:04 PM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
There is also the notion that not using the dead bolt will minimize the damage of someone that wants to break in to your RV. Some have described a lot of damage during break-ins that concluded not using the deadbolt would have been better. If someone wants in, weigh the consequences and also consider a web cam such as a Honeywell Lyric C2 which I use at home and the RV.
I often find myself weighing the consequences. For me... even with my phone number on the door window, I often wonder if it isn't worthwhile to lock only the lower lock so in the case of an emergency the odds are good someone closer than me will have a key to let my dog out while I am at work.

My dog once hit the lock trying to follow me out early on in my ownership. I called a locksmith and he was doing ungodly things to gain access. At which point I told him to back off while I called Newmar CS for any alternative... even overnight Fedex me a master key or something. That is when I learned there are 4 key variations for my rig. There happen to be another CS rig at the park, so I asked to borrow his key. It worked, I made a new friend and was able to call the guy off. Original trip charge was supposed to be $75, but he charged me $400! Should have known I was in trouble with all his 'fancy rig', 'fancy car', 'must be expensive', 'how you afford it' comments. I started to get scrappy about it and was about to call the police, when I thought... this looks like the kinda guy that would come back with his friends in a few weeks/months and do a whole lot more than $400 damage to my rig.

Perhaps the real kicker... I found the spare in the unlocked storage bin with the power reel. http://www.irv2.com/forums/images/smilies/banghead.gif

NealC - appreciate the camera tip. Having a visual of the inside has been on my bucket list and reminds me to take action. Off to check out the Honeywell Lyric C2. ~cheers
walkerhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 04:21 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
The reason for the master key is for the dealers. Can you imagine the problem of carrying 200 sets of keys every mourning to unlock all the units? Salesmen always lock the lower lock and NEVER the deadbolt. By law deadbolts are not keyed for master keys. Anyone who has worked for a camper dealership for 15 minutes has a key to your camper. I carry a set of masters in my motorhome in case someone at the campground gets locked out. I also have a hide a key hidden on the motorhome and the towed. Nothing like being 2000 miles from home and locked out. Don't hide the key in the refrigerator compartment. Half of the ref. I replaced had a hook and a key inside the ref. compartment.

Tags
door