Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2019, 07:00 AM   #1

Your thoughts on Oasis electric or diesel?

Going to be staying at a rv park for a month this Christmas and they charge for elec. I know there are a lot of variables but do you think I would be better of running Oasis on elec. or diesel ? I know I will have to run it for showers. Thanks for your thoughts.
taratiffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2019, 07:30 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
If it were me I would do as I always do; 30Amp AC1, 50Amp AC2 and supplement with burner during showers. How much could the electric bill run for a few month without the Air Conditioning running?
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 08:07 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I full time in mine during the week for work. I leave 1 electric element on full time, then:

in the summer, just run both electric elements for showers.

in the winter, run both electric elements and diesel burner for showers and when the night time temp gets below 45 degrees because I switch to the furnace instead of the heat pumps. This also provides heat to the wet bay. And, I use an electrically heated water hose for my water supply, don't forget that in colder areas.

Last winter, we had a cool winter here in SW Louisiana, I used a whopping 1/4 tank of diesel all season. I consider that "not too bad" compared to if I had propane only for hot water and heat.
ScotS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 08:47 AM   #4

It is cheaper to use campground electric than your diesel. I stay at a park for 3 months in the winter and have never used the burner, but then I don't take long showers. Your neighbors will appreciate the noise of the electric heater rather than the burner also.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 08:52 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algoma View Post
It is cheaper to use campground electric than your diesel. I stay at a park for 3 months in the winter and have never used the burner, but then I don't take long showers. Your neighbors will appreciate the noise of the electric heater rather than the burner also.

Amen to that....last winter I thought the guy in the New Aire next to us had started his engine and was leaving. It was his Oasis burner.
It seems a lot louder than the Aqua Hot units.
Old 11-23-2019, 12:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGBPokes View Post
Amen to that....last winter I thought the guy in the New Aire next to us had started his engine and was leaving. It was his Oasis burner.
It seems a lot louder than the Aqua Hot units.
I guess Newmar eliminated the muffle on the oasis a couple years back. On our 2013, there is a muffler and while you can hear it, it's not excessively loud .
We are pretty much warm weather people, Summers up north and winters in the south, so about the only time the diesel burner is on is when I decide to exercise it.
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 02:11 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
As long as you don’t need the furnace just use diesel. We stay in an area with monthly rates and have to pay for electricity. We turn the burner on when we wake up, gives you hot water almost instantly. We leave it on all day and turn it off when we go to bed. We were shocked last year at how much electricity AC1 and 2 can use keeping the water hot. We love our new process.
crockdar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 08:25 AM   #8

The decision to use the burner rather than ACI/II, or even a combination of both maybe should be based on what the CG is charging for electric.

We have stayed at 3 different places that meter electric. All three have different per KW rates. Our winter spot in Florida, where we never use the furnace and seldom use our air conditioners, can run up to $100 or more a month for electric. We will probably try using the burner more this winter especially on laundry days.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 08:58 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLJOE View Post
The decision to use the burner rather than ACI/II, or even a combination of both maybe should be based on what the CG is charging for electric.

We have stayed at 3 different places that meter electric. All three have different per KW rates. Our winter spot in Florida, where we never use the furnace and seldom use our air conditioners, can run up to $100 or more a month for electric. We will probably try using the burner more this winter especially on laundry days.

In reference to your comment about laundry days, our 2018 Mountain Aire washer heats the water at the unit and not hot water from Oasis.
Soniccruzer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, electric, oasis