Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2018, 10:06 AM   #1

Your thoughts please

I have friends who have decided to join the RV lifestyle. They know nothing about an RV, though he says he would lean toward a DP. He is a car guy, and has owned numerous show cars over the years. Very mechanically inclined. Has at times shipped cars to some significant events. Now...he would like to trailer a car behind a DP (most likely). Roughly weighing 5,000 lbs he says. And avoid the hotel/motel circuit at the same time. They are in their early 60's, retired. His wife has health issues, doesn't always walk well. So they are thinking an RV would make life simpler for their traveling/car shows/visiting relatives, etc.
Knowing I have owned several RVs over the years, he has asked me for help.
I read constantly on this and other RV forums, and consider myself fairly well versed and knowledgeable in the overall realm of an RV. But...I have never owned a DP. Certainly limited knowledge or expertise there.
So I'm looking to you guys for help.
Their budget....is $30 to $40,000. I have suggested they concentrate their search on 'better quality' higher end brands, of course. Especially noting Newmar, for their search. They have gone to look at a couple in the past few days, with poor satisfaction or results. I said I would start checking some things out online for them also.
Today....I came across a 2000 Newmar DutchStar 3865. 300hp Freightliner chassis with 89,000 miles. Looks exceptionally well cared for. Front TV has been updated. Carpet in front has been replaced with tile. Very well done. Overall very good appearance. Certainly not trashed. Priced at $30k.
Hoping you Newmar guys can give me the pros and cons of this rig. Any chassis/suspension issues of that generation coach to be aware of? Capable of towing an enclosed trailer with car? Powerful enough? A good rig for them to start out with? (I tried to talk him into spending more...not gonna happen)
I have suggested they have a true inspection....on anything they seriously consider buying. Hoping that didn't fall on deaf ears.
Would appreciate any thoughts/advice....because I'm a Ford guy. lol
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2018, 10:28 AM   #2

I have a 2000 DSDP 3858, only mine is on a Spartan chassis.

I would say $30K is a good price. 89,000 miles on a diesel is low mileage. If it passes a detailed inspection with everything working I wouldn't be afraid to buy it. These coaches were well built and if properly taken care of are still good for many years.

The hitch is probably rated at 5,000 lbs. Very capable of towing a trailer of that weight.
Old 01-29-2018, 10:57 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Class II Hitch / 5000# rating.

https://library.rvusa.com/brochure/2...dpbrochure.pdf
NKK Member 21619 / FMCA Member 465836
rewillia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 11:33 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rewillia View Post
I will go out on a limb and suggest he will need to get something with a 10K towing capability. Enclosed trailer + auto will probably be over 5K depending on the car. I use a 20' 2 axle open auto hauler trailer to haul our Ford Escape and it is right at 5k with the car. Our KSDP is rated for 10K towing. If he has been around autos, shows, towing vehicles he probably has a good idea of towing limitations and need.

All the best and safe travels.
Old 01-29-2018, 11:45 AM   #5

I questioned that also, and did strongly suggest that he look for something with a 10k towing capacity.....just to err on the side of caution.
Old 01-29-2018, 11:50 AM   #6

Our 2005 Beaver has a 10K towing capacity-might have more to do with the tag axle than anything else. Searching for a Tag axle coache may stretch the budget!
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 11:55 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
My thoughts are that he needs to double his budget.
Mac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 12:17 PM   #8
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by macandphyl View Post
My thoughts are that he needs to double his budget.
At least! With his requirements, a 15-20 year-old coach with a 5K hitch just won't get the job done. Sorry.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 02:07 PM   #9

Thanks you guys for reinforcing my thoughts and concerns. That is exactly what I am trying to tell him. And now after all this....he called me a while ago....and said he thinks he should just buy a gas rig, as it would be closer to what he is accustomed to maintaining and working on. Says he would prefer a Chevy...so he is looking for some Class A's on the old Chevy/Workhorse chassis to go see.
Once again, I expressed my concern regarding the weight of his hoped for towing arrangement. Which was ignored.

I'm just shaking my head....with a dazed expression right now. lol

Sorry to say this, as we have all been friends for about 40 years....but he's acting like a newbie.....that thinks he knows everything there is to know....after just determining that he may like to have an RV.....two weeks ago!! Approaching the danger zone, in my opinion.

I'm thinking it may be time to back off from this situation. I wanted to be helpful, provide knowledge, and information if I could. But it is testing my patience, which is already in short supply these days. lol

At any rate, thanks and I do appreciate all of your replies and comments.
As usual, the members of iRV2 are amazing.
Old 01-29-2018, 02:23 PM   #10
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Sadly, some folks just refuse to listen to the voice of experience. When your mind is made up, facts don't seem to matter.

Print out the comments from this thread and hand them to him. (You can leave this one out) Suggest that he is certainly capable of making his own decisions, but that he might want to read what others with experience have said. Then, gracefully back away and let him do his thing. If he asks for advice, give him the best you can. If he doesn't, there's nothing more to do.

Thanks for trying to be a good friend...even if he doesn't seem to be listening.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 02:38 PM   #11

If he is just starting out he is probably better off in the gasser. It will get him in MH mode and let him learn how to use it without complicating things with the diesel side. I would not say that if he is a retired trucker... ;-)
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 03:03 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If he wants a gassier he needs a Workhorse with the Chev 8.1 and Allison trans, starting in 03, this link will get him into info for gas WH coach's starting with KSCA, MACA, CSCA models.
There are a number of places for parts for chassis, this is one of them.
The trouble there may be for towing most hitch's start at 5000 lb, didn't mention how he was carrying his car.
He needs to shop around many are on lots or being sole by people retiring from RVing.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote