Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-05-2005, 08:24 AM   #1

Between 11/17/05 and early this morning (12/5/05)I have gotten a battery charger fault code 62 on five different occasions. The Onan manual tells me it's a cooling fan failure condition. I have to manually turn the charger back on when this happens and everything runs fine. It always happens early in the morning during the coldest (just below freezing temps) time of the morning. The charger/inverter was replaced on 8/05 for the very same reason. The cooling fan runs and sounds normal before and after this fault 62 shut down. Anyone else out there experience this???
Thanks in advance, Chet

'05 40' FDTS
Chet Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2005, 08:24 AM   #2

Between 11/17/05 and early this morning (12/5/05)I have gotten a battery charger fault code 62 on five different occasions. The Onan manual tells me it's a cooling fan failure condition. I have to manually turn the charger back on when this happens and everything runs fine. It always happens early in the morning during the coldest (just below freezing temps) time of the morning. The charger/inverter was replaced on 8/05 for the very same reason. The cooling fan runs and sounds normal before and after this fault 62 shut down. Anyone else out there experience this???
Thanks in advance, Chet

'05 40' FDTS
Old 12-07-2005, 10:18 PM   #3

Chet,

We are on our 4th Onan inverter in our '05 40'
mid door. Fault code 62 was the last problem and was corrected with a software update.

The big problem is that Cummins Service centers and Onan Techs know very little about the Onan Inverter. It took me a long time to find anyone with the necessary information. I suggest that you call Latonia Tomlinson at Onan. Her # is 763-528-7469. Tell her I said hi, she worked wonders for us.

Good luck,

Sully (Paul Sullivan)
Old 12-08-2005, 01:37 AM   #4

To; Chet Yancy;

Although I don't own an ALPINE, I have had problems with my Prosine inverters, currently on my 5th one , 3000 watt with 8 batteries. You may be experiencing the same problem I solved, with third inverter and reading the owners manual. These inverters are tempature sensitive, under 32 degrees it won't start, I forget what the top tempature cut-off is , but I now have a temp. controled fan in bay with inverter. When temp goes down, I start generator and place a small ceramic heater in bay to warm up inverter, works fine when warmed up. I don't know if this applies to your situation, but it may.

Hope this info is useful.---Thanks...AJBJRVERS
Old 12-08-2005, 04:54 AM   #5

Thanks Sully and ajbjrvers for your input.
I'll followup with Onan first...
Chet

'05 40' FDTS
Old 12-08-2005, 06:53 AM   #6

Chet, I was one of the lurkers; not having the Onan did not have a clue as to what was wrong.
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 01:09 PM   #7

On Sully's point about service tech's not knowing thier way around an inverter, Cummins has a class specifically on the RV diesel gen. When searching for a Coach Care service that will involve gen and/or inverter troubleshooting, you may want to ask if there will be a tech assigned who has completed the Cummins Quiet Deisel Gen course that includes:
"...the new diesel RV generators including inverter technology and the variable governor which is part of the quiet diesel.
Troubleshooting, wiring diagrams, and communication software will be discussed as well as familiarization.
Some hands-on training.
"
and if not, ask if there is another source w/trained tech's.
Its always a good idea to ask around this and other networks for recommendations on service providers; one of the great things about the information superhighway Al Gore invented.
Old 12-08-2005, 02:24 PM   #8

Mike,

I had service at six different Cummins facilities, including Yakima, and they didn't have the inverter expertise. I found that some didn't even know that Onan made an inverter. It was a joke in Newark, N.J., three trips for the inverter and two for the starter, that we knew so many techs by their 1st name. There they installed a new inverter which turned out to be the wrong version of the right model and it took two months to straighten out. Onan has been very helpful, but it did take a while. The problem had to be diagnosed through the factory and the corrections directed by them to the local techs. but after the diagnosis it still took trips to Cummins in Sioux Falls, Yakima and finally the correction was completed in Fresno.

So the moral of my story is that patience is needed as well as expertise.

Sully