Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2007, 05:58 PM   #29

Mac & Sandy, I am really sorry to hear all of the problems that you are having with your 07 unit. The little things are I guess acceptable, but the other problems such as the back splash, paint bubbles and the drawers creeping out are situations that should not happen.
We came close to purchasing an 07 but something held us back. Possibly the new group need longer to work out the old problems.
Hope you get everything straightened out.
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2007, 01:16 AM   #30

Just out of curiosity; are the hydraulic fittings pipe threads, SAE flared or AND type?
rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 01:36 PM   #31

Bob & Patty, I think that typically the fittings would be SAE (JIC) 37? flare. I am not certain of that so please verify.
Old 05-29-2007, 02:04 AM   #32

Ted,
Your response pleases me. I had feared the fittings were NPT where they went into the casting/body.

SAE flared fittings are by far superior to NPT, which many companies have moved away from over the years.

A thing to look for is 'O' ring failures just under the hex used to tighten the fitting to the body it is threaded to. Sometimes they leak simply because of age.

I will check mine after I pick it up and if they are SAE, I will carry a number of spare 'O' rings. In the same box I place the spare tubes and flaring tools.

Fact of life:
Hydraulic systems leak/weep. Sooner or later, it'll happen. NPT fittings just make it sooner.

For reference, Hydraulic systems are only about 37% efficient in their ability to transfer power. But, versatility and ease of repair makes them worthwhile. Also, they are capable of doing the job with a smaller package and without the problems associated with hard mechanical and electrical methods.

If you know what you are doing, hydraulics are a good thing.
rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 02:35 AM   #33

Bob, after you p/u your coach and check the fittings please verify. As I said I was reasonably sure that they are SAE and you are definitely correct that the SAE is by far better than NPT especially in a hydraulic usage.
Point is well made that any hydraulic system will always leak a little.
I agree that a electro mechanical actuator would be much more positive than the hydraulic but I am not certain that it would be more trouble. It definitely is more efficient. I am certain WRV has investigated all of those options.
Old 05-29-2007, 07:41 AM   #34

The slide mechanisms that are electrical rack & pinion type take #4 or larger electric cable which means more cable end connections & threading the large diameter cable thru the chassis (Alfa See-Ya & Gold use this type). They are cheaper to buy but electrically messy (probably cuz they use cheap solenoids & such for actuation & that means a lotta connections for large cable), and they put the connection packages where they get exposed to road dirt & spray. Some might say a bit inelegant.
Not that leaking hydraulic oil is the pinnacle of elegance.

IIRC, the sum of connections on our hydraulic systems is a varied mix, not all one type. The reason, I'm guessing, is to make some of the tight bends they can conveniently mock up a mix of swivel (o-ring), compression & pipe parts that are easy, off the shelf stuff.
Old 05-29-2007, 04:35 PM   #35

E Mike, I must admit that your response was well thought about and well done and truly most elegant. You are right abount the wire size and you probably are correct about messy connections as such. Most inelegant. There is no question that the hydraulic parts are much more accesible at many more locations. Lets get off the word I am tired of trying to verify in the dictionary!

Ted
Old 05-29-2007, 04:38 PM   #36

Mike, I re-read your post about the sum of connections. Am I correct in that your explanation is that they(WRV) have used multiple threads, connections, etc in reference to the HWH hoses?
Ted
Old 05-29-2007, 05:08 PM   #37

Yes. The terminations are not usually just a tube ending in a fitting dying in a cylinder. Usually (again IIRC as my coach is in for service) there is a swivel connector and then one or more types of fittings, then the cylinder to effectuate a 90 degree or other angle into the device (the extra fittings eliminate what would otherwise require sweeps of the tubing and the like).