Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:20 AM   #15
I'll check it tomorrow and post here for posterity. Since Frampton was apparently not correct when he told me my rig was the last of the initial 13 rigs to get the bypass installed prior to it becoming standard ops for continuing design, there might also be another rig w/this issue waiting to rear its ugly head. It was an odd failure- all of a sudden the hydraulic cooler would see an increase in pressure sufficient to blow it up. My rig went 1000 miles w/out the issue, and they moved one bare chassis around the lot and it blew the cooler. Random. IIWYI'd make this happen before putting a buncha miles on. Frampton wanted to have my rig towed to the nearest service point to install the bypass; it was only maybe 6 miles, so I talked him down and drove surface streets so if it blew I could pull over & get towed from there. Fortunately, no blow.

While you are in the neighborhood, you should check your PTO to see that the red mid-case between the PTO gear housing and the pump ahead of it has a 1/4" oil line going to it. Country Coach was installing the Chelsea PTO w/out the wet-lube in the mid-case and had some spectacular failures (and a recall) for that. Mine came w/the wet lube case that has the spline shaft coupling to drive the hydraulic pump; hope yours does also. Here is a thread w/some pics & info.

You can click on my name in the left hand column, chose Send a Private Message (PM), and it'll bring up a window like the Reply window below to send me your contact info. I can call you tomorrow while under the coach (unless the predicted rain goes nuclear, in which case I might wait, sorry).

Baja-tested '08 2-slide 36'
Alpine: The Ultimate DIY'er Project
EngineerMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2013, 08:03 PM   #16
I was laying under my rig the other day, taking a nap. When I woke up, figured why not do a quick chaffing check. Found a nasty dig on Hose# 5 in the diagram from post #13 above, right where it passes by the starter. One of the starter bolts rubs the hose directly.

This hose was made up stupidly of one long, very hard to bend hose, and its maybe 10ft long. Should have been made up of a series of hoses w/90 degree or other angle fittings so the hose could be routed easily where it won't chafe. Should have spotted this earlier, though it could have evolved over time as tension on the hose worked into creep. Anyway, got to get some chaffing control instigated before we head out of the barn for next trip. Word to the wise, not just for 08-09 owners as bent hydraulic hoses are known to move around. If I really get up a head of steam, I'll have a shop make up hoses w/angle fittings. Or maybe take another nap, who knows?

Baja-tested '08 2-slide 36'
Alpine: The Ultimate DIY'er Project
EngineerMike is offline   Reply With Quote