Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2014, 12:16 PM   #1

12 volt battery solar panel wiring location

Don't think my 12 volt solar panel (the small one) is working .. can't find out where the wires go to check it out
Melorene is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2014, 01:31 PM   #2

The samll panel is so small--I doubt if it makes much of a difference anyway--have no idea where the wires go but small panels ususally dont need a controller so wires probably go straight to the chassis bats--not the house bats......in the bat compartment...
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 01:49 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
In at least my Winnebago, the wires go from the factory 10watt solar panel to a PC board behind the OnePlace and illuminate a small LED on that panel. Then on down to the chassis battery compartment. \ken
Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 03:08 PM   #4

My controller is under the bathroom lavatory sink on the left.
Wil Rathke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 05:18 PM   #5

Think owner is talking about the 10 watt panel that came on some early Alpines, not the 2x50 watt panels connected to the house bats....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 06:03 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Here is the problem; WRV installed the small panel onto the roof, and glued it down. By doing this the sun cooks it, and the bottom of the panel has no way to shed it's heat buildup. They would last about 6 months and then die. I cut the wires on mine and taped the ends so it would quit making my batteries charge all the time and fry them too. Because our coach sat on the dealers lot for 18 months after it was built, the little panel was dead, and no one thought to check the electrolyte level in the batteries very often, so when I got it, they were almost empty. I was able to get about three more years from them, but never trusted them to boondock with. Only after I replaced them with AGM's did I stay out in the desert and not have services. The AGM's work very well. Cut those wires and don't worry about that little panel, it's dead.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 01:26 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
The "small" solar charger wire is directly connected to the engine batteries via the black fuse panel in the battery compartment. The output voltage can be measured by removing the fuse. Remember one side will show the battery's voltage and the other side, the panel's voltage.
zinom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 06:57 AM   #8

thanks, my rig sat in the dealers lot for a long time when I got it in 08 and they used it by taking it to RV shows but didn't service the bats also and had to replace them when I got it home. will check the wire to the fuse panel. I had the dealer service tech check the house bat solar charger before we left the lot and they found the wire to the panel in the bathroom was cut in the wall and ran a new one but didn't check the 12v solar unit. again, thanks.
Melorene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 07:28 AM   #9
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renipladlo View Post
I cut the wires on mine and taped the ends so it would quit making my batteries charge all the time and fry them too.

There is no danger of overcharge from a 10watt panel.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12 volt, battery, cat, panel, solar, wiring