Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2010, 07:29 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
12 Volt Question

Just purchased an '06 Alpine 40ft. When the coach is running on 12 volt I am experiencing a blinking "0" on the microwave and a "clicking" noise from the Amana residential refer. I am lost to explain what is happening. Any suggestions...
Thanks
Mtnmanid
Boise, Idaho
mtnmanid is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2010, 07:33 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnmanid View Post
Just purchased an '06 Alpine 40ft. When the coach is running on 12 volt I am experiencing a blinking "0" on the microwave and a "clicking" noise from the Amana residential refer. I am lost to explain what is happening. Any suggestions...
Thanks
Mtnmanid
Boise, Idaho
You have the inverter enabled, meaning that the coach batteries are supplying 120V to the AC appliances. When blinking, it means the batteries are low. Plug in and recharge, or start the generator or turn the inverter off (ie disable it).
Old 07-16-2010, 07:37 PM   #3

When you are not connected to 120 volt, the micro should not have anything blinking, as it is 120 volt. 12 volt should not make a blinking in the microwave. BUT, by chance did you have your generator running? That would put 120 volts to your plugs, and the micro needs to have the clock set. I have no idea about the noise you hear.
Al, Michigan.
Al, Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 07:46 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Thank you for the information. I wondered if it couldn't be the house batteries. I've been charging them for the past several days and the gauge indicates they have a full charge. The generator has not been operating.
Old 07-17-2010, 09:23 AM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
When you have the residential refer, the inverter always has to be on to run the refer. As Al mentioned the microwave will blink "o" until you set the clock. I have heard my refer make a clicking sound when it starts to try and dump the ice from the ice maker. After a few tries, it dumps it and the clicking stops. Try shutting off the ice maker and see if the clicking stops.

If you run on 12 volts for very long, your batteries will get too low and need recharging. Read the instructions about the auto generator start (AGS) and set it up to charge the batteries as needed.
Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 03:32 PM   #6

Location: Summer Rowlett TX (Why?)/Winter Palm Springs CA Two Springs RV Resort https://www.twospringsrv.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgerstel View Post
............ I have heard my refer make a clicking sound when it starts to try and dump the ice from the ice maker. After a few tries, it dumps it and the clicking stops. Try shutting off the ice maker and see if the clicking stops.............
Check to see if a piece of ice is stuck in the tray preventing the ice maker from completing its cycle. We sometimes get the clicking sound in this situation.
Basil Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 05:50 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Basil,

Thanks for the info. I think my refer tries to dump the ice before the heater in the tray completely releases the ice. Once it releases, a short time, the ice dumps fine.
Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 07:35 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sounds like you have an inverter or inverter/converter... Now,,, I will describe ONE specific inverter.. This is typical of many however.

The Xantrex Prosine 2.0, which I have, has a "Load Sense" optoin.. IN order to save battery power I can activate the "Load Sense" IN this mode it checks, from time to time, to see if there is any load present, and if there is not.. IT returns to "Standby".

IF there is a load present it powers up and starts drawing battery power.

The MIcro, is often on the inverter.. The fridge, should not be... But may be.

If you DISABLE the load sense mode, then the inverter/converter only looks for incoming 120vac.. If present it switches to battery charge mode (inverter in standby) if not present, or if not "proper" (long story) it switches to inverter mode.. NO REGARD to if there is a load.. This drains the batteries faster.. But in my coach there are always on loads so I disabled it.

Now, what happens.

Some loads get bigger when the voltage drops.. Most switching power supplies for example (Radio, Television, Sat receiver, Computer)

So when it looks for load.. It sees, for example, a 300 watt power supply that is 100% hungry.. so it powers on.. Then as the condensers in the power supply charge up it drops to perhaps 3 watts "Standby" since the computer is off.. And the inverter powers off.

The ZERO on the micro blinks on and off (NOTE: it too has a power supply that follows these rules but at a lower than 300 watt level) and the Fridge clicks to/from AC and..

Well...

To test:

Plug in a 100 watt trouble light on any inverter powered outlet.. If that tames it.. RTFM for the inverter and turn off load sense.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:12 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
wa8yxm:

A residential refer (in a motorhome) is by necessity on an inverter. Being an Alpine-specific forum, it is generally understood that the question could pertain to an absorption refer, or as this poster indicated a residential, 100%, 120 volt electric refer.

Though the LoadSense option is available on the inverter, I've found that the changing minuscule loads on the Alpine really make that function difficult to live with (I have the Xantrex RS3000). I suppose if I dry-camped exclusively I might use it. A better solution would be to add more solar/wind or more/bigger batteries.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:51 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Takepride, I was assuming an absorption fridge in the motor home and the Clicking being the AC-Relay as it tries to switch from to and from AC.. It might also be the click of the ignightor on the gas system now that I think of it.

Just so you know.

If it's the unit switching to/from AC then the coach may need a bit of re-wire cause at 300-500 watts a Fridge can eat-em-up-batteries fast.

If it's the ignition points.. Then is is normal operation.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:00 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
Thanks for the ideas; but mtnmanid mentioned "a "clicking" noise from the Amana residential refer". Many Alpines have residential refers.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:29 AM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
Thanks

I am thankful to all who provided input/suggestions on my issue. Your assistance was/is greatly appreciated. I believe I've isolated the problem to batteries that need to be replaced.

Thanks again!