Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-04-2015, 07:02 AM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
1997-2003 BMW E39 525i 530i 540i M5 Twin Angel Eyes Halo Projectr Headlights Black

will these fit my 2006 alpine coach? 1997-2003 BMW E39 525i 530i 540i M5 Twin Angel Eyes Halo Projectr Headlights Black

dennismhamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2015, 10:56 AM   #2

Yes, they should. They are E39 headlights. I put on the Depo brand headlight myself, and they look good!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Depo E39 Halo headlights.JPG
Views:	2001
Size:	253.0 KB
ID:	85152  

Old 02-04-2015, 11:34 AM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Jim, are those leds? and do you have the item number?
Old 02-04-2015, 03:05 PM   #4

Yes, the "Angel eyes" are LED. I don't have the number. I bought them a few years ago on Ebay, from a link in this forum. Which I don't have at the moment. They are the projector beam style of headlight.

The turn signal lens is clear, so you need to use amber bulbs. I bought amber LED bulbs for it, so that when they are off, they look clear.
Old 02-04-2015, 03:11 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Jim, any recommendation for house batteries? good price?
Old 02-04-2015, 09:52 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
If you want to use wet batteries I would recommend COSTCO as they use Interstate batteries. I put 6 coach batteries in three years ago and they are still going strong. I average about 4 years out my coach batteries. I have used both Interstate and Trojan batteries. The last time I looked at the price of COSTCO 6 volt golf cart batteries they were about $90.00 each. :thumbup:

Trojans 6 volt golf cart batteries are running around $160.00 each.

COSTCO 6 volt golf cart batteries had the same amp hour rating as the Trojans.

Just information only.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 01:07 AM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Jim,
How much improvement in light are the E39's over the stock headlights on our Coaches ?
I have been researching whether I want to switch over to the LED's or try brighter headlight replacement.
Old 02-16-2015, 02:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper124 View Post
Jim,
How much improvement in light are the E39's over the stock headlights on our Coaches ?
I have been researching whether I want to switch over to the LED's or try brighter headlight replacement.
I don't drive the coach at night very much, so I can't really give you too much of an opinion on that. They seem to put out better light and adjust easier than the originals. The old ones were set too low, and didn't seem to adjust very well. These are much better. But still a little low because of the way they are mounted.

Definitely an improvement. But if you do a lot of night driving, you may want to look at the brighter systems. They are more expensive, so I didn't really consider them.

My motivation for the change was fixing the appearance, not to improve the driveability.
Old 02-16-2015, 04:27 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
You can easily "drag" the mounting holes so the lights can be raised.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 07:26 AM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
DrDave has the right idea. Many Alpines suffered from the original headlights being mounted so they were angled to far down. In an effort to aim the lights, the adjusting screw would run out of threads and in some cases the up/down adjustment would break. My original headlights were adjusted all the way "up" and still nowhere near high enough. When I replaced the headlamp assemblies with the ebay "depot" brand E39 replacements like JimA's, I had to re-engineer the mounting holes and trim the front cap slightly to get the housings mounted in a more centered position. This took a bit of trial & error, but what you need is to have the headlamp housings mounted so the light is pretty close to where you want it with the adjuster in a mid position to allow fine tuning up and down.

Jeff
Old 06-01-2015, 06:20 AM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
I just completed this upgrade twice on my 2004.
These lights are deeper than the stock lights. The connection on the rear of the low beam hits the bulkhead about 1/2" before the slide is fully retracted. I had mine aimed just right and then when I retracted the slide they suddenly aimed down a bunch. This interference broke the adjusters. I think the projector lights are just deeper.

For the second set I found the center of the connector by putting a small square of foam weatherstrip on the connector with a dab of grease on it. The better half retracted the slide until the foam just touched. The we extended the slide and I used the grease dot as center and cut a hole with a 3" hole saw. I lined the hole with edge protection and retracted the slide. Now the rear of the low beam sticks through the bulkhead about 1/2".

I've not seen anyone else mention this problem so mine may be different, but you should check to avoid damaging new lights.

Another problem for me is you lose.side marker function with these - so I added seperate markers to the sides of the cap.

Tags
lights