Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2008, 05:12 PM   #1

my fuel gauge only reads about 3/4 when i fill the motorhome up. any ideas where to start,gauge or sender. thanks ray
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2008, 05:12 PM   #2

my fuel gauge only reads about 3/4 when i fill the motorhome up. any ideas where to start,gauge or sender. thanks ray
Old 06-13-2008, 07:52 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Hello & Welcome Ray:

I would first look at the sending unit as it appears where we have had the largest problem. I have had mine replaced once when we first got the Alpine and the second one still is not very accurate. They are easy to change or R&R just make sure the tank is below ½. It can be seen and removed from the Drivers side wheel well. A nice big hole is in the frame and the sending unit is visible behind the tire on the side of the tank.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 09:33 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Diceman:

I replaced mine last Fall and it worked well. Apparently there were many years when the sender was inaccurate and many people kept replacing it with the same bad model.

If you use the "FIND" tool (above), you will see a couple good threads on this and be able to order the right part.

Dave is right, the change out is very easy. Just turn your front wheels a bit to improve your working room and it ought to take less than 20 minutes, even if you work as slow as I do. (There is much to be pondered whilst working on a coach!)
Old 06-13-2008, 09:46 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Additional Question: Is the function of the fuel sending unit only for the gauge? Or is the sending unit also combined with the pipes/hoses that draw the fuel out of the tank?

I ask because my Gen quits with about 35 gallons remaining in the tank. During the summer here in the Southwest (Arizona), that makes for frequent fuel stops.
Jeff_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 09:04 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Jeff,

Not being able to run the gen. when tank gets down to about 1/4 full is a safety feature, designed to prevent unsuspecting travelers from running out of fuel while dry camping. Irritating if you keep close track of fuel and want to stretch out your fill-ups.
Old 06-14-2008, 11:33 AM   #7

Hey, thanks for the help. this is a great site.
anyone know the part number and price range of the sender. Thanks again Ray
Old 06-14-2008, 04:03 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jeff and Cheryl:
Jeff,

Not being able to run the gen. when tank gets down to about 1/4 full is a safety feature, designed to prevent unsuspecting travelers from running out of fuel while dry camping. Irritating if you keep close track of fuel and want to stretch out your fill-ups. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Oh, I realize that, but I think that it actually quits closer to 50 gallons remaining. That's the 50% point!! I'm filling up every 400 miles!
Jeff_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 01:19 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Dice:

I ordered mine from Cummins, who ordered it from WRV who ordered it from the manufacturer, who sent it direct to Cummins for me to pick up. After all the levels of markup, I paid $54.
Old 06-15-2008, 04:01 PM   #10

Takepride- Did yours have a part number on any of the paperwork, a manufacturer, etc.?
Old 06-19-2008, 07:33 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
eMike:

The invoice says:

030-0A-11386 Fuel Sender $82.28/$57.50
Old 06-20-2008, 12:57 PM   #12

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DICEMAN1530:
my fuel gauge only reads about 3/4 when i fill the motorhome up. any ideas where to start,gauge or sender. thanks ray </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Often times when the gauge reads too low or too high, you can adjust the float arm to bring it to the correct reading. But on the other hand, if the gauge has tendency to stick or jump from one fuel level to something quite a ways off then it probably needs replaced. With an ohm meter connected from sending unit post to the sending unit mount plate, you can measure the resistance as you move the float arm up and down. If you already have a new unit in your hand it is possible to compare the two.
To adjust your old sending unit, run a ground wire to the frame and jumper to the fuel gauge wire. You can have someone watch the gauge as you move it up and down. If the gauge moves smoothly up and down as you move the float arm then it is possible to do some adjusting. Start with float up and parallel with with bottom of sending unit mount plate. This should read full. If not, change the angle of the arm as it actuates the resistance unit. If you know the depth of the tank move the float arm down the same distance and that should read empty on the gauge. All this is quite easy to do before laying out the $54 for new one. Quite often new ones have to be adjusted for different size tanks if you buy an after market sender.
Beagle RC Air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 04:52 PM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
Jeff,

I had the same generator cut out problem on my '98 and WRV wound up replacing the fuel tank because it was easier than fixing the dip tube.

I also had your issue with the fuel gauge and fixed it by replacing it with one WRV gave me.

Vagabondman
VAGABONDMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 05:51 PM   #14

found out wrv used fuel tanks made by Transfer Flow INC 1 800 442 0056 or 530 893 5209
I called them but they dont offer a sending unit.
they refered me to Macs Radiator service
562 920 1871 they are supposed to be able to rebuild our sending units.will try to get hold of them to see if that is possible.