Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-07-2016, 01:54 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
2000 38 Bedroom Slide is rocking & rolling

2000 38 FDDS bedroom slide rolls back and forth when extending and retracting. This is not the hydraulic type. Anyone experience a repair for this? Seems like it's off track but I can't see the problem. Videos attached. The second video is me rocking it back and forth by hand.
Attached Files

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2016, 02:02 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Ours are HWH hydraulic and they do that too. What system does the Alpine use? It might just be normal, our two Dutch Stars used the electric motors and Newmars own system and they did it too.

Oops, watched the second movie and ours sure were never like that!

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 03:27 PM   #3

Bought are 2001 36ft Alpine with less than 5,000 miles on it. Mine does the same thing-always has. I have to help it go out by pushing on the top. I've had it to at least 3 service shops and they can't fix it. I got an alignment procedure from Alpine which I tried before they went out of business but no help.

Baby powder on the top of the slide helps. Dry lube on the top and sides helps.

I've also had the spring tension on the debris awing reduced.

I think the problem is the seals are keeping the unit from easily sliding in or out.

I'm also interested in a fix - but I've lived with it for 11 years and I guess I'll continue to live with it.
Old 02-08-2016, 07:35 AM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Yep. Might be a design flaw. We have to push the top out each time like you GM.
Old 02-08-2016, 08:54 AM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
2000 38 Bedroom Slide is rocking & rolling

While I have a 2005 that does not have these problems I doubt WRV had a design issue, may be someone with a 2000 or 2001 can comment. I would look at the seals, both coaches are 15+ years old, do you know how the seals were maintained? I have used the foam spray on our coach for 10+ years and so far I am not having this problem. Lubrication of the seals is key, as well as the drive mechanism. If you can push on the top of the slide I would get some spray lube (I have never tried baby powder but have heard it works) spray both the inside and outside of the seals exercise the slide several times and see if that cures the problem before going after more complex solutions.

That's just my opinion and I have been wrong before, but I always try the easiest things first. WRV produced many coaches in their short life time. If there was an inherent design flaw we would have heard more about it here. I would suspect a maintenance issue first, particularly if you are not the first owner and do not really know how it was maintained.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 09:05 AM   #6

Ours had the same problem. Seals and Slide toppers were both replaced. Initial thought was the floor was rotted and slide had to be removed for new floor. Upon further inspection, they found all the bolts were loose holding the slide rams to the floor. They tightened all the bolts under the closet floor and now she is solid. Good luck.
Old 02-08-2016, 11:12 AM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
The videos do not work with the app for iPad, I just logged on from my MAC and was able to see them. I also see that you do not have hydraulic slides like I do. I agree with the post from Dreamacre, look at the way the slide is attached to the ram and the way the it is attached to the floor, the slides should NOT move like that, something is loose. I would also look at the seals and get them lubricated, but they are not causing your problems.

I see you live in Arizona, the Alpine Coach Association meets in Quartzite during January, unfortunately you missed it for this year, maybe next. There are normally 50+ Alpines in attendance, I am sure someone will have had this type issue and could assist you. Go to the sticky above, look for the Alpine Tech Library post, that will get you to the ACA website, I am sure there will be a meeting on the west coast before next year. The ACA is much more active on the west cost [there are more Alpine west of the Mississippi]. ACA is holding a pre rally meeting in Charleston, SC in March then we are caravanning to Perry, but unless you are not in AZ that is a long way to go.

We will be in Quartzite next year, coming out for the Rose Parade then Quartzite and slowly back to Cape Cod by April. If you have not gotten it resolved by then PM me and we can meet up, I will be glad to help if possible.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 11:53 AM   #8

Agree, something could be loose. But, something could also be binding, causing the erratic movement as the motor overcomes the resistance, resistance builds up, motor overcomes resistance.....

Brett
2003 Alpine 38FDDS
Old 02-08-2016, 12:13 PM   #9

I bought my 2001 36 foot, 72936, new and the bedroom slide has operated the same way since new with the same top "sticking". With 145.000 miles on the coach the only problem with that side is shearing the bolt on one of the slide mechanisms below the slide and behind the carpet curtain drop on the slide bottom. Our slide has a fair amount of weight when we are on the road which may have contributed to the bolt shearing. The top sticking does not appear to change with closet weight load change.
Old 02-09-2016, 07:40 AM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Thanks for the insightful replies. This weekend I will dig deeper, looking for loose bolts and giving the seals a good service (clean and lube). Recently had the debris awning replace. Will check that tension as well.

Will also plan on visiting an Alpine Club rally.
Old 02-09-2016, 11:10 AM   #11

2002 36 FDDS purchased new, 172,000 miles, Same problem tried the fixes mentioned.
No hardware issues. Tried with less and more weight in the slide no change.
The final verdict was the slide starts out straight but the upper gasket is just a little tight and sticks. I reach over while depressing the switch and give the top a little push, it works fine.
I also level the coach, then raise the PS a little which reduces the amount of push required, lower to level then extend the front slide. Retraction is fine.

Bernie
Pearland, Tx

Tags
slide