Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-16-2018, 06:26 AM   #15

Alpine Owners Club
Never have seen an “open engine” light and have traveled with our rear door open.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2018, 06:38 AM   #16

Alpine Owners Club
https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...p_hdea8zgUGFoZ
wybock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 02:13 PM   #17

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wybock View Post

Need to log in to that account.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 03:35 PM   #18

Alpine Owners Club
open engine.

Dave, I can email or text it to you. text 510-676-4044.
Jim
Old 03-16-2018, 08:44 PM   #19

See if you can post the pictures here please
Old 03-17-2018, 09:18 AM   #20

Alpine Owners Club
Well I checked our 2000 and we definitely have that "engine open" on our dash panel, but it doesn't light up when I turn on the ignition and have never seen it.
Stumped. Sorry guys, for the life of me, can't turn that photo !!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8634.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	261.6 KB
ID:	195762  
Old 03-17-2018, 11:02 PM   #21

Alpine Owners Club
2000 alpine 36mds (open engine) warning light

Jim sent me the picture. OK, Alpiners, lets hear from someone with a 1999 that can tell us what it is.
ATTACH]195872[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0750.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	195872  
Old 03-18-2018, 07:11 AM   #22

Alpine Owners Club
open engine

Dave thanks for the repost for me.
Jim.
Old 03-25-2018, 08:12 AM   #23

Alpine Owners Club
No problems, anyone seen this before and shed some light on this light, pun intended?
Old 03-25-2018, 12:12 PM   #24

According to the 1999 Owner's Manual it is the Engine Door Open Light, this light indicates the engine door is open. Shown in keynote 20 on p.15 of the Manual and described on p. 17.
The door itself won't have a switch, but the hydraulic actuator will, same sensor I'm sure as a Jacks Down alarm. The switch will be found on the HWH actuator assembly some place, probably on the end of a ram. Someone w/a '99 that still has the HWH engine door might confirm this (not foolproof as some prior owner may have wired around it to eliminate the nuisance value).

It is a Yellow light, meaning not an emergency issue. Red lights, e.g. Stop Engine light or Oil light, means an emergency is detected, pull over as soon as it is safe or further damage is imminent.

FYI in the summer, I travel w/the engine hatch partly open to exhaust hot air more efficiently. I suggest the same to all, or else add screened louvers as several Alpine owners have done (not an issue in the dead of winter). I hold mine open about 2" using a hook on the cross bar and zip tie assembly attached to the frame, and can unhook it easily if I need to check the engine bay. I used to travel w/it wide open, but I get a lot of well meaning feedback from passers-by that is unhelpful in heavy traffic.
Old 04-03-2018, 10:26 PM   #25

Alpine Owners Club
Jim, have you gotten this fixed?
Old 04-04-2018, 10:20 AM   #26

Alpine Owners Club
Reading this post, I am reminded that my early 99 Alpine came origionally equipped with a motor to open and close engine door, but it was removed when I got the coach in early 2002. I was told then that they were having so much trouble with that feature that it was being discontinued. I never saw the motor on my coach, but I think it still had a switch on the dash for that feature.???

As for Mikes post about keeping the engine door partially open while traveling, I am going to take his advise as my coach is in the shop having a new exhaust manifold being replaced for the second time. The first manifold was cracked and the second is warped. I have been told that Cummins has had few problems with the exhaust manifolds with their motors running in over the road trucks, but they see more motor homes with this problem, because of a more confined space and less air flow.
40FT FDFS #75725
Rusty Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 08:24 AM   #27

Alpine Owners Club
Dave, no it has not!
The coach has been in the shop getting the HWH leaks repaired, just got it out!
Now in getting the sat and tv redone, should be able to pick it up this afternoon. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Old 04-24-2018, 10:39 AM   #28

Alpine Owners Club
Well again the light went off, still no idea what is setting it "ON".
Got a 40" tv and new satellite system installed, I don't miss the 19"factory tv at all.
Also had the front and rear Rhino lined. I did the roof in 05 still holding up fine.
I upgraded the rear view camera to a wireless 7"color screen, whet a difference!
Next new tires the ones on the coach are 7 years old and look new.

Tags
engine, light