Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-04-2014, 11:19 AM   #1

2001 34' Alpine Coach help

Hello, we have been looking at coaches for a few months, planning to retire from the fire service after 29 years, new to RVing. We plan to do some traveling, not full time, Our budget is around 50 K, and would like 32' to 36'. We are currently looking at a 2001 Alpine Coach, 34', with a cummins 350 hp. with 75k miles. According to the seller it has been parked in hanger when not in use. looks very clean in photos. Haven't gone to see it "2hrs. away" yet, plan to do that Thursday. After looking for a while, not familier with some of the listed specs. I have pasted info about the coach.

"Hard to find 34' Alpine Coach with 2 slides in outstanding condition. Always garaged, no kids or pets.
*350 hp Cummins 8.3 ISC engine & 3000MH Allison 6 speed automatic transmission. PAC brake
*Side radiator, 4 wheel, 4 piston anti-lock disc brakes.
*Neway custom air ride suspension & new Koni shocks. Safe steer
*Huck bolted 50k psi Peak custom raised rail ladder style chassis. 10,000 towing hitch.
*HWH 4 point computerized hydraulic leveling system. 2 roof airs with heat pumps, dash air.
*42,000 btu ducted furnace, central vacuum, ceramic tile in the galley, dinette & bath.
*7.5 kw Onan diesel generator (976 hrs), 2000 watt inverter w/100 amp charger.
*50 amp service with 35' power cable.
*Electronic self-locating satellite dish & receiver. CD, DVD, VCR players
*Oak hardwood cabinets, cooktop & standard oven as well as a microwave/convection oven.
*60x80 full queen size walk around bed and convertible couch. Sleeps 4
*97 gal fuel, 100 gal fresh water, 84 gal grey, 64 gal black, 42 gal propane. 77,800 miles
This coach was built to compete with the finest coaches of it's day and sold new for over $225,000.
With it's 217" wheelbase, and 34' length, you will have no difficulty getting in or out of any campsite.
You won't believe how clean and beautiful this coach is inside and out, and once you drive it you see why owners refer to it as the sports car of motorhomes"

They are asking 62,500 for the coach. looking at Nada, WRV, or Alpine coach does not list a 34'. I have been around diesels and familiar with Allison transmission so that is not my concern. chassis and not air brakes are of concern . Any help from people who know and have this coach would be appreciated. thanks Bob
4day is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2014, 11:55 AM   #2

Motorhome mfgr's lie about length in the opposite way yacht mfgr's do- you take the advertised "length" and add 1/2 to 1ft to get the real length. An Alpine "34" is really 35 feet bumper to bumper.
You'll find that the braking is well respected by Alpine owners of that vintage, more "car-like" feel.
You'll want to get maintenance records, brake fluid should be fresh within 2 years. Check to see last time the PacBrake was lubed, also a 2 year cycle. Do a roof seal check for seams & all penetration items, old caulking compounds dry & crack & need to be refreshed from time to time. Tire age can be discerned by the date "brand" on the tire, usually WWYY format with week of the year/year, and for front tires at least I recommend less than 5 year old tires. You'll find here in iRV2 that tire age recommendations vary from 5 years for safety against blow outs to (mostly) 7 years max, to "I don't see any cracks yet & still got plenty of tread, so what, Me Worry?" I just had a rear dual blow out at 6 years. The reason its an issue is a) on the fronts, that's all that holds you up from rolling the rims on the pavement & skidding around, and b) you don't carry a spare w/these rigs, so a flat is a pain when it happens. Do a search here on "tires" and you'll learn enough to last a lifetime.
Alpine Coach owner's Association has all the wiring schematics for that coach (which will be posted in the next week or two to the ACA Tech Library for easy download), and all other service info is easily available thru this site and ACA.
Old 03-04-2014, 12:20 PM   #3

The 2001 brochure lists 34, 36, 38 and 40 models for that year. Don't know why NADA missed the 34. Follow this link to download the brochure.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 12:36 PM   #4

Thanks for the quick reply. I see that you are nearby, we live in south lake tahoe. any how I spoke with the seller and he indicated that the MH was built at the end of the year and it is actually a 2002, which NADA has a 35' listed. average retail indicates $53,000. we are going to see and drive it on thursday, so I will put together a list to check. thanks.
Old 03-04-2014, 05:52 PM   #5

We have that model and enjoy the size. Sounds like it should be a good one to purchase if it is as the seller describes.

Make sure you operate all functions. Have them have the refrigerator turned on when you get there. Ask him to turn it on a couple of days before you get there. I would request it be on propane.

Make sure both slides operate reasonably well. My rear has always been such that I push to open and pull to close. The rear is electric and the front is hydraulic. Put all jacks down to level the motorhome before operating the slides. Operate the front generator slide.

Turn the generator on and operate both the front and the rear A/Cs. Make sure the heater works.

The stated mileage indicates it has been used, which I think is good. I have over 90,000 on ours and others much more.

Mike suggested other items.

Take it for a test drive and enjoy.

Hopefully you like it and join us.
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 06:29 PM   #6

Thanks for the advice, am compiling a list for thursday, all the advice is very helpful. The pictures show a very nice coach. present owner is a retired fire captain from LA city. I will shortly be a retired fire captain so hopefully as described. He is selling because recent back surgery causing problems driving. right size,close to budget, will let you know. thanks Bob
Old 03-10-2014, 08:12 PM   #7

I went to look at the MH this past week, very nice coach and kept pretty clean. current owner has had her for about 3 years. A couple issues that I have concern about. First and probably the biggest is, 2 years or so ago the instrument cluster went out and had to be replaced. After replacing, everything worked except the odometer was blank, every time the coach was turned off the odometer would go blank and miles traveled would disappear. He replaced with a second I believe with same result. After contacting the mfg. of the gauge and replacement, no go. He says they have been tracking the miles by GPS, still no fix. My big concern, knowing California DMV, if , or when I try to sell, will I have issues with proving miles on coach. another minor issue was a rock ding in middle of drivers windshield. No turbo on the engine. Asking price was just shy of 63 K, when Nada range was 45k to 54k. I might offer less, probably around 48, if I can resolve odometer issue. Any opinions out there. Everything else about the coach is close to what we are looking for. thanks Bob
Old 03-10-2014, 08:55 PM   #8

4 day
I may have some info for you concerning a 34' w 350 isc located in so cal
Pm me or email
Old 03-11-2014, 06:59 AM   #9

In West Virginia odometer readings are not required on a vehicle of that age. Check with your DMV to see if it is different there.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 11:17 AM   #10

I have a 2001 and lost my dashboard including the speedometer. Your coach has a black box called a VDC which transmits the data to your dashboard and it is located on the opposite side of battery compartment bulkhead on the forward side. This was provided by Medallian in Muskegon, Michigan. You can research this company/issue on the Alpine Forum. In my case it was a broken solder joint within the box that was hard to find even by the Mfg.. Since its fix a number of years ago, I have had no issue.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:56 PM   #11

Spartan Chassis
You mentioned no turbo on engine.
I have never heard of that on an Alpine Coach with a Cummins .
Can someone with a little more knowledge fill us in?
Thanks Gator
gatorv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 01:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4day View Post
I went to look at the MH this past week, very nice coach and kept pretty clean. current owner has had her for about 3 years. A couple issues that I have concern about. First and probably the biggest is, 2 years or so ago the instrument cluster went out and had to be replaced. After replacing, everything worked except the odometer was blank, every time the coach was turned off the odometer would go blank and miles traveled would disappear. He replaced with a second I believe with same result. After contacting the mfg. of the gauge and replacement, no go. He says they have been tracking the miles by GPS, still no fix. My big concern, knowing California DMV, if , or when I try to sell, will I have issues with proving miles on coach. another minor issue was a rock ding in middle of drivers windshield. No turbo on the engine. Asking price was just shy of 63 K, when Nada range was 45k to 54k. I might offer less, probably around 48, if I can resolve odometer issue. Any opinions out there. Everything else about the coach is close to what we are looking for. thanks Bob
I'm sure that there is a turbo on that engine. There has not been an OTR Cummins diesel built with no turbo in decades. I'm sure this is a misunderstanding. The ISC has an exhaust brake instead of a compression brake. Maybe the owner got some terms mixed up.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote