Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2014, 02:36 PM   #1

2001 Alpine Coach alternator replacement.

Bottom line is I need the number for a replacement alternator on my 2001 Alpine Coach. That's the short version. I have searched the forum but not finding what I need. Longer version: Driving thru Miami and all of the gauges went to zero. Took an exit. At the traffic light, started up and the coach barely moved. Made it to a parking lot, shut off and would not restart. I'm thinking alternator. Good Sam found a mechanic that decided it was a fried alternator. No parts store open, took the alternator with him. He returned the next day (Easter) and put on a rebuilt unit. Charged the batts, would not start. Guys left with the plan to return in the am with an electrician. Talked with a tec from good sam. Check the fuse marked eng, was blown. Replaced it and coach started. Volts on the gauge just below 13. Left the parking lot (were told to be gone by morning or get towed). About 20 min later, volts dropped, gauges died and so did the coach. Replaced the blown fuse again, started the gen, hit the batt boost, started up and found a safe place for the night. Did the same the next morning keeping the batt boost pressed down and made it to Tampa. Two techs from the park that really seem to know what they are doing have been working on it for 2 days. They took the alternator off a put it on the bench. Everything seems fine but the terminals in the back seem to be for AC and the wires DC, making us think it is the wrong alternator. Called Cummins and they said they do not ship the engs with alternators. If any of this makes sense we could sure use the help.
dispr64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2014, 02:44 PM   #2

Bottom line is I need the number for a replacement alternator on my 2001 Alpine Coach. That's the short version. I have searched the forum but not finding what I need. Longer version: Driving thru Miami and all of the gauges went to zero. Took an exit. At the traffic light, started up and the coach barely moved. Made it to a parking lot, shut off and would not restart. I'm thinking alternator. Good Sam found a mechanic that decided it was a fried alternator. No parts store open, took the alternator with him. He returned the next day (Easter) and put on a rebuilt unit. Charged the batts, would not start. Guys left with the plan to return in the am with an electrician. Talked with a tec from good sam. Check the fuse marked eng, was blown. Replaced it and coach started. Volts on the gauge just below 13. Left the parking lot (were told to be gone by morning or get towed). About 20 min later, volts dropped, gauges died and so did the coach. Replaced the blown fuse again, started the gen, hit the batt boost, started up and found a safe place for the night. Did the same the next morning keeping the batt boost pressed down and made it to Tampa. Two techs from the park that really seem to know what they are doing have been working on it for 2 days. They took the alternator off and put it on the bench. Everything seems fine but the terminals in the back seem to be for AC and the wires DC, making us think it is the wrong alternator. Called Cummins and they said they do not ship the engs with alternators. If any of this makes sense we could sure use the help.
Al and Barb Johnson, 2001 Alpine Coach, 2001 Lesabre, now in Tampa, headed for Iowa. (If anyone would care to, I could get my guy on the phone)
Old 04-24-2014, 08:12 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
The part number for the Leese Neville alternator on a 2001 Alpine is A0012824LC, 160 amp. I hope this helps you and your parts house person locating a new or rebuild.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 12:57 PM   #4

Alternator info

Thanks for the alternator info. Turns out the wrong one was installed in Miami. Thanks again.

Al and Barb Johnson
2001 Alpine Coach
Heading home to Iowa for a few months
Old 05-07-2014, 03:41 PM   #5

Ok, left Memphis yesterday morning. Volt gauge read just below 13. Made it though St Louis and headed west. Volt gauge dropped steadily and gauges died. Did the battery boost with gen on and made it to a campground. Unlike the last times, volt gauge read good as we dropped jacks and extended slides. Eng started fine this morning when I expected dead batts. I shut of the dash air conditioning, and the volt gauge went to 13 plus a little (where I thought it should be). The fan has been squealing a little on high since we purchased it. Makes sense to me that the blower is much of the problem. So, where is it on my 2001 Alpine, and how big of a deal is it to change it? I have received a lot of advice on the forum and I'm sure someone here has had this problem. Thanks,
Al and Barb Johnson
Now in southern Iowa headed for Fort Dodge, I
Old 05-07-2014, 04:18 PM   #6

A&B-
voltage should read close to 14, say 13.8 to 14.1 if all is right w/the alternator & batteries. Did the shop that did the alternator work check your batteries? Maybe they are sub par & burning up alternators.
Old 05-08-2014, 06:55 AM   #7

Your voltage gauge is connected to the 12v wire somewhere in the dash so it is not reading battery voltage directly. As you use power, like the fan, headlights etc. the voltage will drop a little. You need to put a meter directly on the battery if you want to know "true" battery voltage.
As far as the fan motor. You pull the panel out that is directly in front of the passenger seat and then you remove the curved panel to the left of that. (This may have some screws holding it in). The fan is directly behind this panel on the bulkhead.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 05:43 PM   #8

Dave, can you send me the wiring diagram for the LN. My went bad and couldn't find one at the time while out on the road and had a Delco remy installed. Just ordered a new LN on today which will be here Monday.
thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Fernandez View Post
The part number for the Leese Neville alternator on a 2001 Alpine is A0012824LC, 160 amp. I hope this helps you and your parts house person locating a new or rebuild.
chillwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 05:27 PM   #9

Chillwill - I replaced my alternator with a DR 28SI about 2 years and 15,000 miles ago and it is working fine (200 amp rather than the LN 160 amp). I repaired the LN and am keeping it as a spare. The LNs are quite expensive and was wondering why you are buying a new one. Alternatively, if you are unable to repair yourself, you can probably have it repaired for much less than a new LN.
SteveS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 07:38 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Hello Chillwill, I have attached a copy of the wiring Diagram for the Alternator and batteries for the Older Alpines I hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WRV Alpine Alternator Wiring.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	260.5 KB
ID:	124433  
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 11:13 AM   #11

Hello Steve, thanks for the response. The DR that was put on was hot and warm and to the touch which it shouldn't be. I got so many issues going on with that right now. I was on the road when this happen so I was at the mercy of the road service. They but the DR on and the coach started up, but wouldn't shut off. Have to remove battery cable to shut off. Wouldn't shut off from coach switch. The alternator stay warm after that and my mechanic said it was under charge for some reason. I have the new LN now which was about $500.00 and I'm out of $300 for the new DR I purchased. Store will not take it back because it was already installed on the coach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveS View Post
Chillwill - I replaced my alternator with a DR 28SI about 2 years and 15,000 miles ago and it is working fine (200 amp rather than the LN 160 amp). I repaired the LN and am keeping it as a spare. The LNs are quite expensive and was wondering why you are buying a new one. Alternatively, if you are unable to repair yourself, you can probably have it repaired for much less than a new LN.
Old 04-18-2016, 11:16 AM   #12

Thanks Dave for the diagram. The new LN I just purchased has a place for the IGN and Remote Sense. Both of those wires are white in color and I don't know where they go. Don't want to make a mistake and put them on the wrong terminal and mess something up. I have 2001 Alpine, 40ft, ISC 350.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Fernandez View Post
Hello Chillwill, I have attached a copy of the wiring Diagram for the Alternator and batteries for the Older Alpines I hope this helps.
Old 04-18-2016, 11:47 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillwill View Post
The new LN I just purchased has a place for the IGN and Remote Sense. Both of those wires are white in color and I don't know where they go. Don't want to make a mistake and put them on the wrong terminal and mess something up. I have 2001 Alpine, 40ft, ISC 350.
Easy to tell which is ignition wire (12 VDC only with ignition key ON)

The sense wire will have battery voltage all the time.

Brett
2003 Alpine 38FDDS
wolfe10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 06:40 AM   #14

I got it. This is a good forum to have. Thank you all so much for your help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
Easy to tell which is ignition wire (12 VDC only with ignition key ON)

The sense wire will have battery voltage all the time.

Brett
2003 Alpine 38FDDS

Tags
alternator, replace, replacement