Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-04-2010, 07:13 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by takepride View Post
I want to caravan with you!!! LOL!

Sounds good to me... Stan..

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2010, 08:23 AM   #16

Think EM is on the right track--the front hydraulic rams are equalized by a tube fastened to the passenger side rail. If the individual rams get out of "adjustment", I'd be more incline to address an equalizing issue rather than making a mechanical "adjustment" of the threaded bolts and nuts--assuming nothing else has changed in the system/slides.

I replaced a hose on the main room slide several years ago and the HWH procedure was to discommect the same threaded rods inside the room slide arms and cycle the rams/disconnected rods several times from hard stop to hard stop to get out any air and to equalize the rams. Arguably, some mechanical "adjustment" does accur when you reconnect the rods. Good luck.

Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 08:54 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
Think EM is on the right track--the front hydraulic rams are equalized by a tube fastened to the passenger side rail. If the individual rams get out of "adjustment", I'd be more incline to address an equalizing issue rather than making a mechanical "adjustment" of the threaded bolts and nuts--assuming nothing else has changed in the system/slides.

I replaced a hose on the main room slide several years ago and the HWH procedure was to discommect the same threaded rods inside the room slide arms and cycle the rams/disconnected rods several times from hard stop to hard stop to get out any air and to equalize the rams. Arguably, some mechanical "adjustment" does accur when you reconnect the rods. Good luck.

Yep...it's beginning to look that way. I was just hoping it would be somehing as simple as adjusting the left slide ram nut...

No biggie I guess...just down a position that my back doesn't like ..and for an extended period of time..

I still need to call the shop Jeff suggested to see if there is a trick we don't know about. Just didn't have time yesterday..

Thanks..Stan..
Old 11-04-2010, 09:04 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff and Cheryl View Post
Stan,
I have had to have my gen extention adjusted two times. First time was at the Newport Rally in 2007, at that time WRV was still in operation and a WRV person adjusted it. The second time was a few months ago at Uhlmann's RV. They were an Alpine dealer. You can call them and I'm sure they would be willing to talk you through the adjustment. Clayton was the tech that did the adjustment. Their # is: 1-800-245-5378. Hope this helps.

Where is this shop...for time zone reference?

Thanks..Stan
Old 11-04-2010, 09:43 AM   #19

Agree with you, adjusting the threaded rods is the easiest solution--but you may be chasing a symptom rather than a "root-cause." If the needed adjustment appears to be minor, think I'd try the rod first and then see what happens over the longer-term with regard to equalizing the rams.

PS--there are also some hard stop/alignment pegs on the bottom of the slide--make sure they havent gotten loose/moved--or perhaps the front shell has warped slightly on the slide mounting frame and can be shimmed into alignment--sometimes the simplest solutions need to be dismissed first--I continue to learn this the hard way.
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 02:52 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
Agree with you, adjusting the threaded rods is the easiest solution--but you may be chasing a symptom rather than a "root-cause." If the needed adjustment appears to be minor, think I'd try the rod first and then see what happens over the longer-term with regard to equalizing the rams.

PS--there are also some hard stop/alignment pegs on the bottom of the slide--make sure they havent gotten loose/moved--or perhaps the front shell has warped slightly on the slide mounting frame and can be shimmed into alignment--sometimes the simplest solutions need to be dismissed first--I continue to learn this the hard way.
Yep ..I'm bad about doing a lot more than I need to. Trying not to do that on my "new to me" toy...it's supposed to be fun not a project. So far it is ..I'm just getting to know the rig.

I spotted the stops...they arn't in the way. So it's something else...just looks like the left needs to go back 3/4 ". the right is snug. Maybe the right needs to go out 3/4 just haven't figured it out yet.

I can't work on it till tomorrow ..been a busy day..

Stan..
Old 11-04-2010, 04:51 PM   #21

Alpine Owners Club
Stan,
Shop is in Chehalis, WA.
Old 11-13-2010, 04:47 PM   #22

Well after quick course in Slide Adjustment Basics 101..I found the problems and the fixes on the gen slide problem..

The slide evidently had been retracted with the safety bar down. It in turn bent the nose bracing out out a little on the drivers side. This is difficult to determine unless you are looking at the correct angle in relation to the nose bracing.

The first thing that had to be done was to attach a "Come a Long" between the front nose brace and back of the ram slide. Then winch the brace backward. That got the nose back in line....or close.

After that the nose shell was too high and rubbed the coach when you tried to retract it.

At the front end of the gen slides is a large verticle bolt that looks as if it attaches the front bracing to the slides. Upon closer scrutiny the bottom of that bolt has an allen wrench slot in it. After loosening the bolt jam nut the allen slot is used to raise or lower the front bracketry in relation the the coach. Easy to do.

After adjusting the bolt where the nose cap didn't rub on top when retracting...there was still a problem. The verticle gaps on the sides of the gen slide were not close to even. They were wider on one side than the other. As it turns out the slide rams are equalized by a single common tube reservoir located on the passenger frame rail by the gen set.

Adjusting the nuts on the ends of the rams is not the answer...rather the two stops down under the gen set is the answer. By lengthening the stop on one side to increase the gap..and shortening the stop on the other side to widen it...the verticle side gaps easy to even out.. they slide rams equalize after closing completely.

So there it is...in fact it worked so well, I decide to tweak the the main slide so that the side graphics were in perfect alignment. The verticle bolts at the end of the room slides are more than and attachment. They actually adjust the slide up and down via the allen slot in the bottom.

...and the gap the slide compresses the gasket around the slide when it closes, is determined by the slide stop bolt right next to verticle adjustment bolt described above.

Piece of cake....

Stan..
Old 11-13-2010, 11:21 PM   #23

Alpine Owners Club
Stan:

We need to give you a camera for documenting your progress. Lots of folks here with the same coach and the hydraulic genset slide could use your new expertise!

Even phone cameras take decent pictures for these types of repairs.
Old 11-14-2010, 09:00 AM   #24

Quote:
Stan:

We need to give you a camera for documenting your progress. Lots of folks here with the same coach and the hydraulic genset slide could use your new expertise!

Even phone cameras take decent pictures for these types of repairs.
Yep..I need to get a Camera.

I'm stuck with an antique phone though...most phones these days arn't loud enough for me to hear when they ring or during conversation. My ears were damaged in Vietnam artillery. Walked up out of a bunker just as a 105 howitzer was fired. I was within 10 feet, and even with the muzzle blast. It was an unauthorized firing...testing a new breach mechanism. I was in FDC (Fire Direction Control) and issued all firing orders. Any firuing test should have been coordinated with FDC but wasn't. Stupid mistake that cost me a lot of my hearing for life..

Anyway ...no Camera phone I have bought so far has enough volume. AT&T phones anyway, so I still have to use an old candy bar phone.

My hands are rough from years of work and the buttons are too small on most of them too...especially for texting, which I do a lot of ..ha hah! Only kidding of course..I have no clue why anyone would rather peck out a one or two sentence message rather than just speaking on the phone.

Stan..
Old 11-15-2010, 12:15 AM   #25

Alpine Owners Club
Stan:

First of all, I'm now

Second of all, there are ringtones that can be downloaded that are so loud they will eliminate what little hearing you have left. I've helped a number of employees who've claimed they couldn't hear their phone when I called. (Or were they just avoiding me?) Your provider can help you out with that. (Of course they will gladly help you out of some dinero, too.)

Old 11-15-2010, 06:48 AM   #26

Quote:
Stan:

First of all, I'm now

Second of all, there are ringtones that can be downloaded that are so loud they will eliminate what little hearing you have left. I've helped a number of employees who've claimed they couldn't hear their phone when I called. (Or were they just avoiding me?) Your provider can help you out with that. (Of course they will gladly help you out of some dinero, too.)

If it finds me a phone I can hear...it's a good topic to be off on..

I've bought two that couldn't be turned up enough to hear either the ring or the conversation.

One was a Razor..couldn't hear the ring. The conversation was barely audible..

The other was a new AT&T offering...kept it two days.

Most phones these days put emphasis on everything but a telephone. Utility phones don't sell anymore...but gadgets sell like hot cakes.

Some things I can hear well...better than Superman..crinkling newspaper for instance. Other things I can't hear at all...air bags dumping when leveling the Alpine for instance.

If you know of anyparticulary loud phones with large dial buttons...I'll own it tomorrow. (AT&T compatable).

Thanks..Stan
Old 11-15-2010, 06:54 PM   #27

Sorry, that I didn't check into this thread earlier. Had the same problem a year or so ago. I used small grab chain and hooked it in the same area as the safety bar contacts and then carefully extended the slide to correct my error. It took a couple of light extensions to bring it into proper alignment. Today, I did find a set screw under the front of the slide to elevate for proper gap. The jam nut for the set screw had backed off and allowed the horizontal gap to get out of alignment.
Beagle
Old 11-15-2010, 07:08 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagle RC Air View Post
Sorry, that I didn't check into this thread earlier. Had the same problem a year or so ago. I used small grab chain and hooked it in the same area as the safety bar contacts and then carefully extended the slide to correct my error. It took a couple of light extensions to bring it into proper alignment. Today, I did find a set screw under the front of the slide to elevate for proper gap. The jam nut for the set screw had backed off and allowed the horizontal gap to get out of alignment.
Beagle

Well thanks anyway for the tip...great minds must think alike...he heh!

I didn't do it the first time...but I'll be darn if I didn't try to close the gen slide with the saftey bar down myself today. This great mind must a have had brain cramp.. &*%$* I had to fix it again.

We also tried the chain fix you mentioned this time...I figured if the slide could push it out of alignment, maybe it could pull it back. It worked much better than I had hoped and we got it fixed in a few minutes.

Stan..