Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-12-2015, 11:51 AM   #1

2003 36ft Alpine coach Generator problems

Our generator won't start. We aren't getting power to switches. How do we solve it?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2015, 12:35 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Which switches? Both on the generator and in the coach? How old are your batteries? Have you checked them with a voltmeter?

2006 Alpine Apex M-40FDQS #75594
2014 Honda CRV w/navi
Janet and Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 05:43 PM   #3

I would check the voltage on the chassis batteries. I believe those provide the power to start the generator, not the coach batteries.

If they are low, like under 12 volts, I would try the 30 second jump switch to see if the coach batteries will start the generator.
Old 02-12-2015, 05:56 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Could one or both battery disconnect switches be in the off position or have gone bad? I would also look at the Ground on the batteries and check the master fuses in the service bay. I would also check for power on the rear of the Generator, the battery cables are accessible from under the coach when the Generator is extended.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 08:45 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
First, what do you mean by won't start? Does it crank and not run or does it not even crank. What inverter/charger do you have. In some cases (Xantrex for example), the generator does not run (or continue to run) if the inverter/charger is in the Auto position. Place the inverter the manual start position then start the generator.

If it will not even crank check the batteries, the chassis cutoff switch and see if you get 12 volts to the generator.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
DrDaveMA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 09:55 PM   #6

More info please--assume you are talking no cranking Vs cranking over but no start. 12v genset starter on 03 is wired directly to chassis bats [or house] via a separate fuse--no main switch cut-off. Auto genset on 03 may have some issues with starting but dont think so. If no crank, need to check to make sure there is 12v power to the cables going to the rear of the genset. Think both the remote switches in the coach and the one on the genset are all powered by the 12v cable feeding the genset.
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 09:20 AM   #7

Hello everyone. Power to the genset has been checked and it's getting power. Fuses are fine. Not getting any power to any of the switches. So it is not cranking. I'll ask our friend to check that cable to the 12v. We don't find any cut off switch to the chassis.
Fuses on the main panel have been checked. We'll check the voltage on the batteries. They were all replaced in 2012. (inverter replaced then also) We don't use the generator much at all but did last summer for a short time. When trying to start it this last fall we found this problem. I will relay all of your thoughts to the man who is trying to solve this for us. Thank you.
Old 02-13-2015, 02:02 PM   #8

"Assume" you tried using the start switch on genset itself? Not sure how remote switches in the coach are powered, but would think the switch on the genset is tied directly to the internal genset controller [brain].......
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 09:58 PM   #9

Does anyone know where the fuses are for the chassis for our 2003 36 Ft. Alpine coach?
Old 02-27-2015, 10:37 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
There are two basic locations for the 12v fuses. The first location is behind the panel in front of the passenger seat. Pull the panel which is attached with velcro and you will see 3 black boxes. Pull the covers on the boxes and you see the fuses.

The second location is where the 120v circuit breakers are located towards the rear of the coach. In the same cabinet you will see an addional row of 12v fuses.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 11:09 AM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
Generator runs but no output

I have a Generator problem too. Not quite the same because mine does start and run, it just doesn't seem to put out any power - i.e. AC table lamp plugged in in coach doesn't lite, AC units don't come on.
Possibly a defective operator.
Is there a fuse or switch that I can check? I'm an old hand at RVing, but this is a "new" coach to us. And I confess I'm not much of a mechanic. It's a 2004 36' FFP. Thanks for the help.
Jim
Old 03-05-2015, 11:41 AM   #12

Jim,

Start by turning off and back on the breakers on the generator itself.

If you are safe working around 120 VAC:

Next, check for 120 VAC at the "generator in" side of the ATS (Automatic Transfer Switch).

If power in, then the ATS has failed. If not, check all connections between generator and ATS.

Brett
2003 Alpine
Old 03-05-2015, 01:39 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlesstuar View Post
Hello everyone. Power to the genset has been checked and it's getting power. Fuses are fine. Not getting any power to any of the switches. So it is not cranking. I'll ask our friend to check that cable to the 12v. We don't find any cut off switch to the chassis.
Fuses on the main panel have been checked. We'll check the voltage on the batteries. They were all replaced in 2012. (inverter replaced then also) We don't use the generator much at all but did last summer for a short time. When trying to start it this last fall we found this problem. I will relay all of your thoughts to the man who is trying to solve this for us. Thank you.
Not sure I understand this?
If the Gen won't crank over, check the oil level. I think there is a low oil safety switch built-in. ?
Mule Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 09:08 AM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
Generator runs but no output

Wolfe10 (Brett), we're finally where we have wifi again, and a dry place to look at the generator. Thanks for the advice, I'll do as you suggest. I confess I didn't know the generator had breakers actually on it. I'll let you know how it goes.
Jim

Tags
generator