Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-22-2011, 04:09 PM   #1

2003 Alpine

I have found an Alpine 2003, I think an Apex but not yet sure for $64,000. It appears from the pics to be in good shape except for one minor fender bender that scratched some paint. It is the king bed model. I have been wanting an Alpine for several years so have been researching and looking. This seems like a good price but wanted your opinions. Also, is there any mechanical/chassis problems I need to be aware of?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2011, 08:34 PM   #2

HLaugh-
Welcome to iRV2 and the world of Alpines.
Can't be an Apex & 2003. IIRC Apexes came out in 06, and have hydraulically operated SmartBeds. 03's have swing up basement doors.
$64k looks like a good price. Check tire dates, when brakes were flushed last, and other maintenance. 03 was before the radiator problems, and before chassis multiplexing (Vansco) so chassis wiring is by relays & lots of wire.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:36 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
I'm pretty sure WRV didn't produce the Apex model in 2003. However, the 2003 model is an excellent year in that many year specific QC issues discussed on this forum typically don't apply. All systems on a 2003 are relatively simple and straight forward without a lot of "bells & whistles".

If you've never owned an Alpine I would find another owner in your area with a similar year coach to help assess the coach before you buy it. If you're in the Denver, Colorado area I would be happy to assist you. Otherwise, my advice is make sure EVERYTHING works or at least what doesn't work before you buy it.

Check this site for similar purchasing questions in which lists of possible issues have been provided/
bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 12:20 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLaugh View Post
I have found an Alpine 2003, I think an Apex but not yet sure for $64,000. It appears from the pics to be in good shape except for one minor fender bender that scratched some paint. It is the king bed model. I have been wanting an Alpine for several years so have been researching and looking. This seems like a good price but wanted your opinions. Also, is there any mechanical/chassis problems I need to be aware of?
HLaugh,

Check out this link for a good discussion on purchasing an Alpine Coach, albeit a different model year:

2008 40 ft Alpine Limited SE

See my comments in Post #5 of this link.

Also, checkout this link on purchasing a 2001 Alpine Coach, but much of the information is still valid:

2001 40' Alpine, newbie questions....

See my comments in Post #16 of this link.
Dale777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 02:38 AM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLaugh View Post
The price ($64K) seems to be in the ballpark with what similar Alpines have recently sold for in ebay. Not an exceptional price but a fair one, assuming it is in average condition or better.

Ebay sales:
2002 36FDDS sold for $50,001 on Aug 29
2003 36MDTS sold for $57,900 on Jul 28
2003 40FDTS sold for $72,101 on Aug 14
2005 40FDTS sold for $79,300 on Aug 29

The 2003 FDTS above, selling for $72K, may be the closest comparable to what you are looking at.

One caution, there is no such thing as a "minor fender bender" with one of these full body paint MH. I have had a couple of such incidents repaired (one my fault and one where someone else pulling a 5er scraped my parked MH). Each repair cost between $4000 and 5000! In one my repairs, that scraped about 1 foot of the coach, it affected all 4 colors of the scheme so there was lots of time-consuming taping and painting matching involved.

If you can, have a good paint/body shop look at the damage and give a written estimate. Then adjust your offer for the MH accordingly.
Old 09-23-2011, 06:02 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
I really like my 03, good idea to follow the recent posts and check for any old water leaks, oil or hyd leaks.

Good Luck
Old 09-23-2011, 12:47 PM   #7

Thanks

Thanks for the input guys, it's really appreciated. I have owned a Winnie '96 gasser for since 2001 so am somewhat familiar with checking out a unit for the common motorhome things such as plumbing etc. But am new to diesels, so appreciate your help there. Glad to here 03's were before some of the major problems.
Old 09-23-2011, 01:21 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
HLaugh - Based upon you last post, it sounds like your only "unkown" centers around the diesel engine & tranny. Obviously, a general inspection would be the minimum action on your part for obvious leaks and listen for anomalies when running. If the previous owner can provide maintenance records/receipts then you can atleast feel comfortable that's it's been taken care of for the most part. Otherwise, my advice would be to take it to a Cummins shop to have it inspected (engine, tranny, generator) before you purchase it. It'll be well worth your money!
bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 07:27 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
HLaugh:

The 2003 40' FDTS is in my completely biased opinion the best coach Alpine ever made.

However, a couple things to check on that model are the manifold and gear box, for possible warping/leak and the bed slide for possible hydraulic leak.

The price sounds great. But as D&J mentions, multi-color paint work is pricey. the fiberglass, not so much, aluminum a bit more.

Were I in Tennessee, I'd help you check it out. My last coach was a '94 Winnebago Vectra (gasser), so I can appreciate the wariness about the upgrade and possible expenses. But, I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Whether you purchase it or not, could you please let me know the last five numbers of the VIN, for the Alpine Register? We're up to 720 of the nearly 1400 ever manufactured. Your help would be appreciated.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:01 PM   #10

2003 Alpine

Thanks BC and TakePride; The owner has all maintenance records, the coach had 40K on it when purchased and now has 85K, so it's been driven. He used it going around the country to job sites. Has done a couple of re-mods, replace the dash TV with a flat screen and added a computer desk. He sent me pics and looks like he did a decent job. The coach is in ARK about 150 miles from me so haven't seen it yet. Haven't convinced my wife we need to upgrade yet! Hope to see it next weekend. If I do I'll get those VIN numbers takepride.