Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 12-28-2008, 03:25 PM   #15
Bob/Connie, think batteries catching fire will on the road is a new one for Alpines in general and 03s in particular. Not familiar with the maint-free version but U2200s are the correct size bats for the 03. Assuming they were installed/cabled correctly and the generator wasnt running/inverter charging the bats, a faulty alternator or bat isolator is at the top of the list. I didnt like the metal battery hold-down brackets on my 03 [they ran too close to the bat terminals] so I did replace them with strips sawed from a plastic cutting board. Many of us will be curious to hear what you find out as the cause.

Old Scout
2003 40' MDTS
Garden Ridge, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2008, 08:29 PM   #16
Alpine Owners Club
You can also take the metal brackets out, and put Scotch 23 vulcanizing tape all around them and that will insulate them.

Another way is to get a bad inertube from a tire shop, cut some pieces out of that, wrap the metal piece in the material, then use the tape above as an outer wrap.

A third way is to buy a can of that liquid electrical tape and paint that all over the metal bar which will also insulate it.

Monty & Janet - 2007 Alpine APEX 40 MDTS
S/N - 75715 - Retired - Master Certified RV Tech
Old Rv'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 02:41 AM   #17
Old Scout,
that's quite a clever idea to cut your wife's cutting board up. Does she miss the inch or so you cut-off or did you buy her a new one?
I have a 2005 so I have six batteries. I don't think the cutting board is quite long enough and I know some of the newer Alpines have 8 batteries. I think the plastic hold down is a great idea and an alternative to the cutting board is a company called McMaster Carr. They have all types of phenolics, lexans, etc. that you can purchase. You may need to buy more than you need but I think the safety factor makes it well worthwhile.

Great tip, Thank you.
You should add that to Quick Tips and Easy Mods.

Ted & Carol Ulmer
2005 Alpine 34', 34FDDS
2006 PT Turbo pusher
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote