Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2016, 09:01 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to greenmachine
2003 Alpine to toad wiring diagram

I have a 2003 38FDDS Alpine and in the process of hooking the wiring to my toad. I'm looking for the wiring diagram for the Alpine Coach. I'm having voltage problems and need the diagram to see what somebody in the past has changed. They had the pump switch on the dash and ran and tied into the plug. I'm wanting to go back to original. Does anyone have the Alpine wiring diagram for the trailer plug? There was a lot of changes made here and I'm trying to go back to match the Blue Ox diagram.
Thanks
Larry Tammy Pate
2003 38FDDS Alpine 350 Cummins ISC
greenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2016, 09:18 AM   #2

"Pump switch????" Might check out the ACA website for wiring specs but Alpine wiring [pre-Vansco] is pretty straight -forward. Only challenge is incorporating a converter box to combine the separate amber turn signal circuits on the Alpine, so they are compatible with the combined stop/turn lights on many/most American-made cars.....PM me if you what to chat about it......
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 10:49 AM   #3

Alpine Owners Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmachine View Post
I have a 2003 38FDDS Alpine and in the process of hooking the wiring to my toad. I'm looking for the wiring diagram for the Alpine Coach. I'm having voltage problems and need the diagram to see what somebody in the past has changed. They had the pump switch on the dash and ran and tied into the plug. I'm wanting to go back to original. Does anyone have the Alpine wiring diagram for the trailer plug? There was a lot of changes made here and I'm trying to go back to match the Blue Ox diagram.

Thanks

Larry Tammy Pate

2003 38FDDS Alpine 350 Cummins ISC

Larry, unless PO changed both ends, the pin out for a trailer plug is standard, so your Blue Ox drawing should be correct. Take a volt meter and verify the pins.

The only pump I can think of is for a SMI Airforce 1 toad brake system, since Alpines have a hydraulic braking system in order to use the SMI system you have to add an air pump. So the switch could be for that, although I can't imagine why you would not just allow the tow cable to be the switch, unless the PO wanted to turn off the pump when they stopped at night but did not unhook. It could also be some other brand I am not familiar with.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 11:33 AM   #4

Dr Dave, they had that transmission pump and they installed diodes in there. I took a volt meter and had 12v and a ground there. no brake lights and I test for power and had 5 volts for running lights and no turn signals. My car has the diodes for any feed back but they installed one and I'm wanting to put it back the way Alpine had it. I looked in the tech library and didn't see anything on this.
Thanks
Larry Pate
2003 38FDDS Alpine 350 ISC
Old 07-11-2016, 07:48 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club

Larry, there are wiring diagrams in the tech library for the 2003's. The chassis diagram shows the trailer 6 pin connector. Look under electrical, 1997 - 2003 chassis main wiring, the connector is way over on the right hand side, bottom.
Old 07-11-2016, 11:23 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
There is also a wiring diagram on the Roadmaster web site, page 7 http://roadmasterinc.com/pdf/85-3326-19.pdf
Old 07-12-2016, 03:22 PM   #7

This 6-pin trailer plug wiring appears to be more or less standard.
Variations on the wire looms to the plug appear to be whether the loom branch to the plug has other branches off it, so trailer wiring should be fairly consistent coach to coach (assuming it hasn't been babooned up too much by some prior primate)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 5.02 Trailer 6-Pin Wiring.pdf (446.7 KB, 80 views)
Old 07-12-2016, 04:52 PM   #8

Guys that helps me get back to what they started with but what I have now is they have added a 7 spade plug and diode's to that. Then I found a coil of wire rolled up. With 6 wires in it. I'm going to do a check to see which one is left and right and brakes then I can put that on the plug. Kill the transmission pump wires and I can make it work. Thanks for your input on this , some trailer hitch shop really did a number.
Thanks everyone
Larry and Tammy Pate
Old 07-14-2016, 11:31 AM   #9

Hey guys I pulled up that bundle of wire and opened it up. the wires have numbers and we match the print. They do not tell what is what so I'm asking if you think I'm right the RT is right turn and the LT is left turn. The S is stop, the Gd is ground and A ,TM I don't know. Has anyone had these letters.
Thanks everyone
Larry
Old 07-14-2016, 01:43 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Larry, the drawing I sent you to from Roadmaster (see post #6) tells you what function is on each pin. For example A is for Auxiliary. You should be able to match all your pins with that drawing, either 6 or 7 pin.
Old 07-14-2016, 01:51 PM   #11

What fun is it if you dont make a guess once in a while--my guess is that "TM" stands for tail/marker lights?
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 06:11 AM   #12

Thank you everyone for all the help, the wiring is all done. The biggest issue I had after removing what someone else had done was to learn that the jeep tail lights and brakes are one and the Rv was two. That's where the diodes come in. I ran a wire to the brake switch and That solved that problem. Some cars that's in one and the Alpine is in two separate wires for brake lights. Have a great day and again thanks for the input and that wiring diagram in the tech library is a life saver.
Larry and Tammy
2007 Jeep unlimited four down

Tags
toad, wiring, wiring diagram