Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-03-2012, 02:29 PM   #1

Exclamation 2004 Alpine Coach Silent Turn Signals

I am not sure if this coach ever came with a turn signal sound or not. I contacted Patrick at Actia, based on some suggestions in this form, and found out that my gauge cluster was not manufactured by them and that it doesn't have a speaker or sound clicker. I have gone over the entire coach dash area and have not found a clicker. Any ideas?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2012, 02:46 PM   #2

Packet- The 04's still had the black gauges iirc, and the 05's started using Actia gauge set. I'm sure there is a clicker, but can't tell you if its a mechanical socket type or speaker type. If its a speaker type it may be on the back of the 'message center' package of idiot lights that includes the Left/Right arrow indicators.
The Vansco handles the actual turn light actuation, which takes a computer voltage signal seeking ground as input, so I'm guessing if Vansco is involved in 04 clicker, it has to be an output tied into the outputs to front blinkers (there is one each for Lt & Rt). Have you looked next to & around the front Vansco modules (behind plastic kick panel ahead of passenger's feet)?

Here is a thread w/lots of useful discussion on flashers. If you have no flasher, and want to do Dale Gerstel's buzzer mod, you could take a lead from each front Vansco Lt/Rt blinker outputs to the buzzer, then buzzer to ground. The opposite blinker output from the one activated would flash its LED on the Vansco as it sensed a 12V backfeed, which is one of the Vansco diagnostic indicators, but there is no harm in that, and you could eliminate it if you wish using a diode in line on your two leads from Lt & Rt outputs before they tie together to go to the buzzer.

BTW, Welcome to iRV2 and the Alpine Owner's Forum!! You'll eventually find way more info here than you can use. Some of it even factual info.

Old 02-03-2012, 09:39 PM   #3

Radio Shack sell some very inexpensive piezo-electric beepers. On my old Chevy S-10, there was no "clicky" and one of the auto return springs on the turn-signal stalk was busted.

I bought two of the beepers and an assortment of resistors. I spliced one beeper into each turn signal line, then added resistors in series with the beeper to get the noise level down to where it was clearly audible but didn't blow my head off. Those things are LOUD!!.

I think the whole project was less than $15.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:15 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Not sure if it helps, but my pre-Vansco clickers are behind the PS dash panel, very near the floor, just right of center. Two round, standard clickers.

Impossible to hear, too. Just take of the panel, then run the signal. You'll find it. I'm doing Dale's buzzer/chime project tomorrow. I'll see what Radio Shack has available.

frank: Do I just attach the resistor(s) before the buzzer?
Attached Images

Old 02-04-2012, 06:28 AM   #5

2004 Alpine Coach Silent Turn Signals

Thanks for all the great help. I bought the coach over a year ago from the original owner and immediately joined the association. I have been following the forums since then and find them to be a great source of technical information. My only problem has been with the multiple coach configurations your not sure if the discussion topic applies to your coach or not.

I have posted a picture of my gauge cluster and a blurry picture of the back of panel. There are no speakers or clicker that I have found and I have looked over the entire dash and Vansco area. Of course it is a little tight under the steering column! The Vansco shows pins 6 and 7 as the turn signal actuators however I am not sure of the of pin outs on the plug to be able to tap into the appropriate wire if I add a clicker. I prefer to fix the existing hardware if I can.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1669.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	257.1 KB
ID:	17663   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1671.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	163.0 KB
ID:	17664  

Old 02-04-2012, 12:24 PM   #6

Packetx, it would be helpful if you created a signature with your coach details, including length and front or mid door.
As takepride pointed out the turn signal relays are not behind the dash but behind the large panel in front of the passenger seat. This is also where a lot of the relays and fuses are located. On mine the panel is held with velcro and you should find a corner that you can pull away from.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 09:30 AM   #7

Thanks for the signature suggestion. I have gone over the entire area including the panel in front of the passage seat (vansco area) but still can't find a turn signal clicker / chine.
packetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 01:14 PM   #8

Yes, I just put the resistirs in series with the buzzer, then when I got the noise level where I wanted it, I put shrink tubing over the bare conductors. I can't remember what value I ended up with and I don't have the truck any more.
Old 03-03-2012, 12:57 PM   #9

Can you please tell me where you wired your buzzer in? I found out that the Vansco turn signal inputs (pins 11 & 12) do not to have enough power to activate a 12 volt buzzer or troubleshooting light. I even pulled the plugs for the wire bundles that go to the lights themselves (over the genset) and still could not get a turn signal flash with a 12 volt troubleshooting light.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Iphone 3-3-2012 082.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	259.9 KB
ID:	18427   Click image for larger version

Name:	Iphone 3-3-2012 083.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	234.8 KB
ID:	18428  

Old 03-20-2012, 09:50 PM   #10

We had an 03 40fdts and my wife could hear the clicker, but I could not. (i'm drivin) After I got hearing aids I could hear the clicker just fine. Just thought I would mention it.........
Old 03-21-2012, 05:48 AM   #11

Thumbs up

Okay, I was finally able to tap into the bundle over the generator as I was unable to find the right wire on the inside canon plug. Guess initially I didn't have a good ground when I was using the troubleshooting light but was able to figure that out. The buzzer was to loud so I added a sound shield (small Box) and all is well.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:18 AM   #12

Sorry I missed the opportunity earlier (was in Mexican jail w/out internet privileges) to mention- the Vansco outputs for the front VMM unit were mapped out by some insomniac in a doc on the ACA Tech Library. Future click-seekers (or those looking to splice into any other output) can refer to that doc for the pin-outs. Also the wires are marked every few inches, tho some of the markings are not entirely descriptive and require some additional clue like the doc or a probing.