Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2019, 03:06 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
2004 Jake Brake problems

This is a 2004 ISL 400, it has a 2 stage Jake Brake, not a Pac brake or exhaust brake. There are 2 solenoids inside the valve cover that activate it. On low it only uses 3 cylinders for braking, on high it uses all 6 cylinders.

When I first got this coach, the Jake did not work at all - found that out on Red Mountain Pass. After that adventure, I dug around and found the plug for the rear solenoid behind the AC compressor was not plugged in. I plugged it in and now have 1/2 brake power - or the equivalent of low. No matter if the switch is on high or low - same brake power.

I decided to try and find the other one - near the transmission end of the motor. I found it and that connector is plugged in. I got a long screwdriver on it and moved it around to be sure it is making contact - seemed to make no difference. It's the small right angle connector plugged into the side of the head.

I followed the wiring down to an area above the starter and found a couple of plugs that look suspect. They are both 2 wire and look like they might connect together, but they are zip tied off so they can't reach. I would have to cut the ties off and try them. It's very hard to get to this area - I had trouble getting a picture. The female appears to be at about top left in the picture, male is at center right.

I think the male may be coming from the Jake brake wiring, but I'm not sure.

It has a jumper crammed in it - see below.

Is anyone familiar with the wiring in this area?
I may be able to get in there to try putting those together but I have a couple of concerns:
1. I'm probably going to hurt myself getting in there. I took there pictures from the air cleaner looking over the frame.
2. If those don't belong together, I could cause some trouble.

I have adapted to driving with a weak Jake - but would sure like to have the full effect.

Thanks, Tim
Jeeper64060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2019, 03:18 PM   #2

Take the pictures to your Cummins engine service center.
Or email them.
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 08:42 AM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Pretty sure wiring for both High and Low engine brake activation goes thru a two wire connector from the ECM wire loom. If your two wire connector was disconnected you wouldn't get any engine braking, High or Low. iiwm I would not connect any unknown circuits together to test them. One side of the two wire activation circuit has an additional connector with a jumper plug like your photo.
c_oneil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 09:24 PM   #4

Jake wire

Under the valve cover there is a wire to the actuator solenoid. It may have been sheared by one of the rocker arms. A few years back I had the same issue
Cummins gets about 40 dollars for the 10 in piece of wire. It has a right angle connector on one end and a spade connector on the other.
If you take off valve cover be careful of the silcone valve cover gasket. If I remember its about 150.00
Old 09-09-2019, 03:54 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
I cannot imagine how fun that valve cover is to remove.
Jeeper64060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 09:22 PM   #6

On my 36’ it is fairly easy as the bed lifts up for access
Just remove cold air tube and you have access to valve cover
If you have side to side bed I believe there is a floor access, but has many screws to remove and much less room to work

Tags
brake, ems, problem, problems