Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-20-2008, 01:38 AM   #1

I amlooking to downsize from my 41' Newmar Dutch Star and have been looking at a 2005 34' Alpine. Anyone have one that can coment on it? Would like to hear the good and bad. Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2008, 01:38 AM   #2

I amlooking to downsize from my 41' Newmar Dutch Star and have been looking at a 2005 34' Alpine. Anyone have one that can coment on it? Would like to hear the good and bad. Thanks

Old 03-20-2008, 06:13 AM   #3

I have an '05 36' mid-door. I love the coach. You do, however, want to make sure the latest bedroom slide hose retrofit kit has been installed. This is the kit that re-locates the hoses. I'm sure you will get lots of comments and suggestions. Good luck with your purchase.
Old 03-20-2008, 03:01 PM   #4

We have a 2005 36FDDS Alpine, silverleaf package, 26,000 miles, Great coach. If you are interested give me a call at (509)679-7197 or e-mail betsys@nwi.net. $160,000. We are looking at new one.
Gary & Betsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 03:26 PM   #5

We have a 2005 34' FDDS Alpine and love it. Overall it has been very satisfactory and what has not been Alpine has seen that it has been taken care of. If you want send me a private message as to what you would like to know. Our unit has 15,000 miles. I did notice a couple with a 36' for sale at a price well below what we would ask and well below what we have been offered.
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 12:41 PM   #6

We have a 2006 34 which we like very much. This is our 2nd rv the first being a 29 ft Safari Trek. We opted for the 34 b3cause of the shorter wheelbase for the roads we travel and the slightly smaller footprint for the National Parks and more remote campgrounds we frequent. We feel that the coach handles very well. We did have problems with the rear slide hoses which were rerouted and the radiator which was upgraded and replaced. All other issues have been minor. I feel that the primary difference between the 34 and 36 is the shorter wheelbase with the interior space differences being minor as long as you don't need a a clothes washer. I also test drove a 36 which I thought handled very well.

Jerry and Toni Smith. 34 2006 2002 Jeep Liberty
Old 04-12-2011, 11:52 PM   #7

Alpine 34 or 36 (2005)

Any of you owners out there on this thread still have? Any issues as you have moved forward? Considering this or the 2005, 3slide Newmar, Mt Aire. Obviously, one diesel, one gas.

Any comments would be great, and any for sale, even better
Old 04-13-2011, 05:11 AM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by drhumphrey View Post
Any of you owners out there on this thread still have? Any issues as you have moved forward? Considering this or the 2005, 3slide Newmar, Mt Aire. Obviously, one diesel, one gas.

Any comments would be great, and any for sale, even better
I bought my 2005 Alpine 36 used 3 years ago and love it. Of course, you have an "orphan" (and I bought after WRV closed its doors so I knew what I was getting into). Frankly there is FAR more support and help available to Alpine owners on this website than most RVers get from a dealer network. I have had absolutely no problem getting my Alpine serviced.

The 2005 and later Alpines did have an apparent design problem with the steering bracket being prone to fatigue. One of the engineer-Alpine owners designed a clever "fix" to this problem that is well described in one of the sticky threads on this forum. The kit + labor will set you back a few hunded dollars if it has not already been retrofitted. Since it is a safety issue, this is really not optional. It is possible that whomever you purchase a used Alpine from may already have installed the kit. (Pretty easy to tell if the repair has been done -- see the before and after pictures). As to sources of Alpines, check the usual sources, including ebay. There are always 1 or 2 Alpines offered by dealers around the country. Nearly all of these are dealers with brick and mortar stores so you can be a little more confident dealing with them for a large purchase than with an individual who has no track record.

Like many RVers, you will find Alpiner's pretty loyal to their brand, primarily due to the fact that the ride and handling is unparalled. Test drive one and you will be hooked. Now, since we are also our own support group without manufacturer's warranties or dedicated dealers, there is also a fair share of grumbling about different things (like the steering box issue). But the majority seem to love their Alpines. Bang for the buck can't be beat. Look at the finish and quality of materials and for used MH's; it is hard to beat the value received from an Alpine. All of them have the 400 hp Cummins and no one ever acuses an Alpine of being underpowered. Think about a 34 or 36 with that engine! Watch out for speeding tickets.
Old 04-16-2011, 03:00 AM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
If I had known then what I know now, I would have not purchased. Since we did, and learned a lot, and have fixed all those issues, we like it a lot. If I were to trade it in (knowing I would take a beeting) I would most likely get a 07/08 Monaco Signature in the 40-42' range. Since we won't be doing that unless we win the lottery, I love the way our alpine drives and handles. Every MH will have some problems, and things get lose in all of them.
Old 04-16-2011, 09:44 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Karl,

We own a 36' Alpine and have been inside Jerry and Toni's 34'. Patty and I were very impressed with the room. Very well laid out. In fact, we felt it was as big inside as ours.

Mike and Mike visit the forum now and then. They have a 34' too. You might look them up and PM them.

Good luck in your search.
Old 04-20-2011, 04:53 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
Hi Tom & Patty, We miss you out here on the West Coast!

Karl,

We've also got a 34 foot Alpine, a 2004, and love the handling. We bought the 34 footer for much the same reasons as Jerry & Toni: ease of driving on CA backroads, and fitting into more camp sites in State and National Parks.

We love the Alpine in every way. It's got great water tank capacities for dry camping and we find ourselves doing that frequently.

By the way, the letters FDDS or FDS or MDDS are telling people whether it's a mmodel with Front Door or Mid Door, and how many Slides. An "S" is a single Slide, DS is dual slide, TS or QS for 3 or 4 Slides.

Good luck in your search!

2004 Alpine 34 FDDS
Mike & Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 08:27 PM   #12

Jerry & Toni's is actually a model home. They've hosted cocktails for 8 in their rig.