Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2008, 01:38 PM   #1

Hi, we're new to the forum and have just purchased a 2005 34 FDDS privately. Somehow I managed to ignore or miss getting a full familiarization of the chassis systems and if there's an '05 34 FDDS owner or someone familiar with the systems, I could use some help. Or previous rig included a 2001 International MDT, so I'm familiar with the diesel engine and Allison transmissions, but the Alpine coach speific systems related to the hydraulic brakes and the other HWH related hydraulics is all new to me.

The systems I'm concerned about are primarily the hydraulics and the brakes. Specifically, fill locations, checking fluids, and an explanation of the brake system. I've got a full set of manuals I believe, but other than a schematic of the hydraulics there was no other information available.

Thanks for the help and all the information that's available from this group.

Current location: Apache Junction, AZ
johnwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2008, 01:38 PM   #2

Hi, we're new to the forum and have just purchased a 2005 34 FDDS privately. Somehow I managed to ignore or miss getting a full familiarization of the chassis systems and if there's an '05 34 FDDS owner or someone familiar with the systems, I could use some help. Or previous rig included a 2001 International MDT, so I'm familiar with the diesel engine and Allison transmissions, but the Alpine coach speific systems related to the hydraulic brakes and the other HWH related hydraulics is all new to me.

The systems I'm concerned about are primarily the hydraulics and the brakes. Specifically, fill locations, checking fluids, and an explanation of the brake system. I've got a full set of manuals I believe, but other than a schematic of the hydraulics there was no other information available.

Thanks for the help and all the information that's available from this group.

Current location: Apache Junction, AZ
Old 05-30-2008, 03:45 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Hello & Welcome John & Carol:

Congratulations on the purchase of your New 2005 Alpine. All Alpine's are basically the same although the newer models have more and newer bells & whistles. The brakes are Hydraulic Disc Brakes with fixed calibers, operated by the engine hydraulic system and the reservoir is in the engine compartment along with the cooling system. The master cylinder is accessible when you extend the Generator Slide and the fuel fill is also their. You can check the engine oil and transmission fluid in the compartment on the right rear (Passenger side) also Air Filter is located their. The HWH hydraulic is located behind the passenger side front wheel opening behind a small access door. I hope this helps in your learning curve. When you have more questions please POST them and somebody will help you.

I would also suggest that you attend one of our Alpine Rallies and the owners will help and show you everything about an Alpine. You can get more information about Rallies from this site and from the links located under my name. You meet the nicest people in an Alpine.

Should have any questions please call me at (909) 214-0000 or e-mail me at AlpineDriver@msn.com
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 09:50 PM   #4

Thanks Dave, everything helps. Am I correct in thinking that the "Engine Hydraulic System" is the source of ALL hydraulic fluid, for both the brake boost pump, and the HWH slide and leveling system, or does the HWH system have it's own resivoir?

Is the large canister with the breather on it on the right side of the engine the hydrauic fluid resivoir (and filters)? If so, is there a fluid level indicator and fill on this canister?

Do you know if there was a WRV manual that identified these components/systems and located them in the coach?

I will join the ACA. Thanks for the links.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:45 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
John:

The HWH system is separate, as Dave mentions:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave Fernandez:
...the engine hydraulic system and the reservoir is in the engine compartment.... The HWH hydraulic is located behind the passenger side front wheel opening behind a small access door. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We use HWH's fluid since it contains no dyes (in case of leak), but you can use transmission fluid, too. There are numerous postings about these fluids and their reservoirs. Just hit the FIND button at the top of each page and enter some search words (hydraulic fluid, slides, jacks, etc.) to narrow down the list of hits.

It took me weeks to read all the posts, but now I feel like a qualified RV technician. This is the best source of Alpine info on the Internet. I am constantly tinkering with my coach, checking out various things I read here.
Old 05-31-2008, 04:16 AM   #6

The disc brake system is a hydraulic over hydraulic system. It has a backup 12 V pump which operates in the event of lack of engine driven pressure. As a start up routine I try to remember to test this by pressing the brake pedal lightly while I am waiting for the "wait to start" light to go out. You can feel a slight vibration in the brake pedal and hear the pump motor operate. This pump is activated by the brake light switch and its operation point is adjustable. Also, there is a pressure switch or lack of pressure switch in this circuit.

The hydraulic reservoir has 3 stacked filters in it and they are Nelson 84220-A I believe. I have changed them without replacing the fluid. A little messy but it can be done. The top of the reservoir can be removed with some difficulty.

The engine driven pump is gear driven (no belts) and powers the power stearing, engine fan motor and brakes. I have found it very reliable.
Wil Rathke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 05:11 AM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to SDPilot
Just curious. Does the backup hydraulic pump also provide power steering in the event the engine quits?

1999 36FDS
Old 05-31-2008, 09:35 AM   #8

Wil

Thanks for the explanation on the back up 12vdc pump. I had no idea one existed.....poor system tracing on my part. So, ours is a 1999, where is the expected location of this pump? I understand how the back works however, is the hydraulic psi also diverted to keep the parking brake shoes off the drum?
Thanks
Dave The Newbie
Dave & Colleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 09:48 AM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Hello Dave:

The parking brake is air activated or should I say the lack of air pressure. When you apply the parking brake from the Dash push pull knob air is released and the brake is applied. When you push the knob back in it allows air into the system releasing the parking brake. It is done this way because if you park the coach or dump the air the parking brake will not release until air pressure is build back up.

The 12 volt system on the service brakes does not assist in steering only braking.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 12:53 PM   #10

Dave & Colleen,
The backup hydraulic pump is located as part of the brake master cylinder assenbly and is only a backup to the service brakes. I think that this arrangement was also used on Ford chassis. I forgot that hydraulic pressure also keeps the parking brake operating spring compressed on the '99. The parking brake on our '99 was lousy and I kept wheel chocks where I could get to them easily and also cautioned my wife to step on the brake if the coach started rolling when parked on a slight incline. I don't know what year the parking was upgraded and air operated but my '05 is much improved.
Wil Rathke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 02:46 PM   #11

Wil, I believe the hyd pump you are referring to assists the hydraulic brakes, the power steering & the cooling fan for the radiator. I believe that is correct.
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 03:36 PM   #12

Wil - One other point concerning the parking brake, I don't believe Dave mentioned it but the brake is actually a spring activated mechanism that applies "holding pressure" on the drive shaft and not to the disk brakes.
SteveS is offline   Reply With Quote