Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2015, 01:02 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
2005 36' - Bedroom Slide Hose

I am one of the lucky ones with the "experimental" hydraulic hoses on my coach. I have had multiple problems with them (primarily the ones over the radiator) and now I am dealing with one for the bedroom slide.

On our last trip, I went to extend it and only one side moved. I discovered hydralic (ATF) fluid under that area. We were only a few days from returning home, so I decided to deal with it after my return. I couldn't get the one side that moved back in, so we came home with one side out a couple of inches.

My question is; how do I get to these hoses to replace them. I want to try to tackle this project on my own, so any assistance would be appreciated.
jgsomerville is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2015, 03:45 PM   #2

Thought there was only one slide [wardrobe] in the bedroom on the 36--the one over the radiator?
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 05:18 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Correct - there is only one slide in the bedroom, but there are several hoses that go over the radiator. I have never done the work myself in the past so I really don't know what all there is there, I just know the "experimental" hoses had a problem with heat.
For all I know at this point, I am dealing with another round of problems with the same hoses, although I had the problem hose replaced with another type the last time.
This slide includes the wardrobe and the bath vanity.
Old 07-25-2015, 05:51 PM   #4

Lot of info here:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f104/bedr...ure-39783.html
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 07:55 PM   #5

I had one of my vendors duplicate the hoses with there best materials. It's not a big deal. The hoses are easily accessible. The tricky part is feeding them up through the floor and attaching to the hydraulic cylinders one thing I did do was shorten one of the hoses. I did this so the hose would loop around and match up to it's mating connection without any side load. Streight in, no pressure.
3 years, all good.
Bottom line was pour quality hose and fittings.
Good luck, it's not a hard job.
Mule Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 07:46 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Thank you both - Rich and Cork and Mule Skinner.

Mule Skinner - can you get me started with the access. It looks to me like I need to get the slide out then remove the panel under the closet. I need to then thread the hose to the other side of the coach into the battery compartment. I'm guessing best access to do that is under the bed?

Am I headed in the right direction?
Old 07-28-2015, 01:02 AM   #7

I'm not sure what year your mh is. Mine is 2004 34 foot.

You need the slide in. From inside the bedroom, look behind the slide at each end. You will see the cylinders, again, one at each end of the slide. You will have to reach behind and unscrew the hose from the cylinder. You can then feed each hose through the floor.
I would suggest unscrewing the hose under the mh first so that the fluid will drain when you loosen the hoses from inside.
Note: the hoses are attached to other hoses that run from the underside, near the engine through the compartments to the pump located above the passenger front wheel.
As you look at the hoses under the mh, look to see if either hoses are bending at the fittings. This was a problem with mine. After unscrewing the hoses one at a time under the mh I was able to move the hoses around looking for the best length so the hoses would enter their mating connection without being stressed, up or down, or side to side.
Take note of the change in length of each hose.
I had a local company called Royal Brass make replacement hoses. Try Google to see if they have a store near you. Otherwise locate a good hydraulic hose shop and they can build your hoses in a couple of hours.
Hope this helps.
Old 07-28-2015, 10:44 AM   #8

Somebody on this forum suggested changing to the next size larger hydraulic hose to replace them. There is almost twice the surface area for the fitting to grip. The fitting is where the hoses are failing. There are far fewer failures on the larger living room slides, which have larger hoses.

Mine were changed a few years ago, and seem to be working fine.

Somebody else did the work, so I can't help you there!
Old 07-28-2015, 08:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim A View Post
Somebody on this forum suggested changing to the next size larger hydraulic hose to replace them. There is almost twice the surface area for the fitting to grip. The fitting is where the hoses are failing. There are far fewer failures on the larger living room slides, which have larger hoses.

Mine were changed a few years ago, and seem to be working fine.

Somebody else did the work, so I can't help you there!
Good point Jim. I did use a larger diameter hose with the correct fittings.
Old 08-02-2015, 07:04 AM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Thank you all for the help. I found a mobile RV mechanic that came to the house and replaced the hose for $300.00 - total, labor and material. I thought that was a pretty good deal, considering I was so unsure how to get started. The hose he replaced was one of the plastic "experimental" ones. The one he replaced it with was the same size, and looked the same - but the original was now braided on the inside, and the replacement was. He is more of the belief that the troubles are coming from the high heat. All of my hose problems are coming from the area just above the radiator and the coolers. I am going to get a piece of Styrofoam and put it on top of the radiator to help insulate the hoses from the heat.

After watching the mechanic replace the hose, I am much more confident that I could now do it myself. But I'm not sure for the amount of time involved, I might not just call him back.
Old 08-02-2015, 11:26 PM   #11

I would not put any type of foam on the radiator. It will most likely melt.
Just my opinion.
Old 08-03-2015, 05:08 AM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
Good point. I should have thought of that. There is surely something I can use. I'll do a little research.
Old 08-03-2015, 06:23 AM   #13

Perhaps you could try using some of the replacement engine blanket material [foil and cotton lined] that hot-rod guys use to redo engine compartments on restores???? Little pricey but good stuff.....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide