Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-25-2016, 10:07 PM   #15

I have no idea how the repair shop determined your problem. There are a lot of repair shops not familiar with Vansco's. What they determine your problem is?

The only reason I know recently I had my coach at Cummins Coach Care and they told me that the Vansco was controlling the fan control . Turned out to be the Cummins ECM that I controlled it.

Your shop may be right, but we don't have to much information on your problem?

2007 Apex MDTS (425 hp) #75723
2007 Toyota 4-Runner
2014 Ram Laramie 3500
kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2016, 07:47 AM   #16

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraig View Post
I have no idea how the repair shop determined your problem. There are a lot of repair shops not familiar with Vansco's. What they determine your problem is?

The only reason I know recently I had my coach at Cummins Coach Care and they told me that the Vansco was controlling the fan control . Turned out to be the Cummins ECM that I controlled it.

Your shop may be right, but we don't have to much information on your problem?
From July 6th to July 27 the Mechanics believe that the Starting problem is with the Vansco Multiplex Module in the Battery Compartment , the VMM in the front has lights but no lights on the VMM in the Battery Compartment
Have tried a lot of places -- Not able to locate a VMM replacement
Tried JCA Electronics, Parker Hannifin, EBay, Vision RV, Arizona Rv Parts
Need Help

Old 07-27-2016, 09:53 AM   #17

I just got off the phone with Lorna at JCA Electronics, 204-415-1104. I had to wait for her to get back to work today. Here is the latest greatest from Lorna, who by the way has an accent and a soft voice, double whammy for my old ears.

She recommends sending both of my VMMs to them. She says they will program the new one from my old working one and use the one with issues to try and extract any extra info from if need be. I asked if there is any support from them or the manufacturer, Parker Hannifin, and she said something about talking to the programmer when he gets back. We'll see.

They will return both of my VMMs along with the new one. The programming takes a day, but the programmer guy is off until August 8. She talks like they will program that day and get it shipped out that same day or the next. She said they have a bunch of the VMM 2820s sitting around.

I will need, already have, a Fed Ex account and payment will need to be made via wire transfer. This PITA is the good news. Now for the bad news!

The VMM is $1350
Programming $250
Brokerage $65
Transaction Fee $25
Grand total $1690 + shipping

Looking on my Fed Ex acct the other night I saw prices IIRC of about $400 for overnight and $120 for 4 day shipping. Looks to me like this going to be about a $2000 deal when all is said and done.

The cost is bad enough, but the hassle of the wire transfer and shipping account is an added bonus. I bought my hydraulic pump from England and had it shipped in 4 days with just a credit card.

So much for buying a new spare just to cart around. I am fortunate to have my partially working one to carry as a spare.

Terry
Terry W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 02:26 PM   #18

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Terry, thanks for all the 2820 info.
Now, if I decide to bite the bullet and buy a spare, can I simply install the new one and let it program itself from the other unit in the coach? If so then I could just leave it installed and keep the good one that I just switched out as a good spare. Does this make sense??
toad 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 02:51 PM   #19

Alpine Owners Club
$2,000 spare, WOW
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 04:15 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry davis View Post
Terry, thanks for all the 2820 info.
Now, if I decide to bite the bullet and buy a spare, can I simply install the new one and let it program itself from the other unit in the coach? If so then I could just leave it installed and keep the good one that I just switched out as a good spare. Does this make sense??
Makes sense to me, I'll be doing the same with the one that is working but rebooting. It'll get me back on the road.

That is my understanding from Kraig, DrDave and TJShively, but the lady at JCA said to send them up there for programming. Programming is $250 which would be nice to be able to save if in fact you can program your own.

I believe in the past you got a new VMM and a set of programming instructions so it was a plug and play set up. It's a PITA that I can't talk to the programming guy till Aug 8. He may have a little more information on the subject. I thought DIY programming was one of their big "selling points"!!

The lady, Lorna, that I talked to, is the Sales Administrator for JCA, so she may be a little misinformed or just trying to sell the programming. It seemed odd to me that she also suggested sending back the one that isn't working correctly so that they also pull some of the program out of it. They would then send back all 3 of them.

$2k is a lot of money for a "what if" spare part, but it would be nice to be able to get home in the event of a failure and deal with it at your leisure. I guess it depends on where you're broke down, nice campground, dirty repair lot, Laughlin in August etc. Like I said, my rear VMM is from 2004, go figure.

I don't have room to question the wisdom of the cash outlay for a spare, I replaced my heater hoses front to back just for peace of mind.

FWIW, I changed the bolts on mine to full thread bolts and nutted them so that they are essentially studs now and I can change the front one by myself.

Terry
Old 07-27-2016, 06:29 PM   #21

Alpine Owners Club
Terry, have you looked at the documentation in the tech library in the brakes and chassis section? There is a lot of info, some under 2005, some under Vansco.
Old 07-28-2016, 07:06 AM   #22

Alpine Owners Club
VMM

Thanks Terry for the Great Info --- Sure hope this works

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry W View Post
I just got off the phone with Lorna at JCA Electronics, 204-415-1104. I had to wait for her to get back to work today. Here is the latest greatest from Lorna, who by the way has an accent and a soft voice, double whammy for my old ears.

She recommends sending both of my VMMs to them. She says they will program the new one from my old working one and use the one with issues to try and extract any extra info from if need be. I asked if there is any support from them or the manufacturer, Parker Hannifin, and she said something about talking to the programmer when he gets back. We'll see.

They will return both of my VMMs along with the new one. The programming takes a day, but the programmer guy is off until August 8. She talks like they will program that day and get it shipped out that same day or the next. She said they have a bunch of the VMM 2820s sitting around.

I will need, already have, a Fed Ex account and payment will need to be made via wire transfer. This PITA is the good news. Now for the bad news!

The VMM is $1350
Programming $250
Brokerage $65
Transaction Fee $25
Grand total $1690 + shipping

Looking on my Fed Ex acct the other night I saw prices IIRC of about $400 for overnight and $120 for 4 day shipping. Looks to me like this going to be about a $2000 deal when all is said and done.

The cost is bad enough, but the hassle of the wire transfer and shipping account is an added bonus. I bought my hydraulic pump from England and had it shipped in 4 days with just a credit card.

So much for buying a new spare just to cart around. I am fortunate to have my partially working one to carry as a spare.

Terry
Old 07-28-2016, 10:23 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDaveMA View Post
Terry, have you looked at the documentation in the tech library in the brakes and chassis section? There is a lot of info, some under 2005, some under Vansco.
Dave, I've been all through the Vansco info in the tech section. For some reason I can't open the section that specifies Vansco 2820.

I've had this problem before, I can highlight a section but it won't open, this has happened in other areas of the Tech Library. Maybe there's nothing under those headings?!?!? Terry
Old 07-28-2016, 11:10 AM   #24

Alpine Owners Club
Terry, I just tried and I can not open it either. I will reach out to the web master.
Old 07-28-2016, 11:28 AM   #25

Vansco Modules Programming?

Hello, I have been following this thread and have had some concerns about these Vansco modules failing and getting them replaced. I have been reading some other posts on these modules and thought if you had a good one you just replaced the bad module and the program will load from the good one? Will someone that has this problem chime in and share if this is the case for sure?
This place in Canada does not seem to be to reliable as a source and not willing to give much help on these modules. These modules are the brain for the operation of the newer coaches and will be fatal if you cannot find a replacement.
Old 07-28-2016, 12:14 PM   #26

Biker,

I just sent another note to JCA about the VMMs programming each other. Your understanding is the same as mine. I just got a note with my quote and it was also vague.

On the phone they, Lorna, requested my good VMM and my bad one. She talked like they would try to pull existing information out of the bad one as well as the good one.

The note she sent said, We need the good VMM2820 to extract the files from for transferring to the new replacement VMM.

It goes on to say, If you decide to send both VMMs label them appropriately, if both VMMs turn out to be bad we can't guarantee we would be able to extract the files and may not be able to provide a programmed replacement.

I believe the Vansco information said if yours both fail, borrow a friends and use his to program your new one(s).

There seems to be a lack of communication and some confusion on their part. I also sent a note to Parker Hannifin with the programming question, no answer yet.

I find the whole thing a little worrisome not to mention a real PITA !!

Terry
Old 07-28-2016, 12:16 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDaveMA View Post
Terry, I just tried and I can not open it either. I will reach out to the web master.
Thanks Dave, I just figured it might be an empty heading for future use.
Old 07-28-2016, 03:52 PM   #28

All,

I got a note back from Parker Hannifin regarding programming the VMMs. The note was very non committal and corporate, which is understandable.

As follows,

The VMM family of controllers have a proprietary feature that allows a VMM to automatically reprogram a blank VMM in a similar family. There are nuances to how and when the reprogramming happens.

JCA understands these as they have been handling our VMM service for some time. I can't say why they need your non working unit, but you should feel free to ask them.

That was from PH, at the time I had been asked to send both of my units to them. In Lorna's follow up note with the price quote she said, "if I decide to send them both in label them good and bad".

Parker is non committal and JCA is a little confused. I'm thinking I might just wait til the programmer gets back on the 8th.

It would be nice to save the $250 programming fee as well as one way of the shipping cost.

That would bring it to $1440 plus shipping, a little better.

Terry