Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-31-2016, 02:17 PM   #43

Jerry,

My rear VMM is exactly like that and the front one looks the same but it has a 2820 nameplate on the front. Everything I've read tells me they're all the same. My rear is dated 2004 and the front, the bad one, is dated 2010. I'm thinking they spruced it up a little bit or went to a numbering system for easier identification!?!?

Terry
Terry W is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2016, 06:46 PM   #44

Alpine Owners Club
Jerry, Same model I have.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1470012358.013957.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	134623
Dave
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 07:23 AM   #45

Alpine Owners Club
VMM

The Photo looks exactly like the One I have in the Battery Compartment in My 2005 Alpine Limited 36 ft FDTS
After I removed the VMM from the Battery Compartment than I was able to get the Info --
VANSCO -- Mdl:7651-67486-00
Mat:98584-3146
Made in Canada
2005/04/11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry davis View Post
Can anyone tell me what model this unit is? Without removing, I can find no model markings. The rear unit is exactly the same.
The Parliers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 10:23 AM   #46

Alpine Owners Club
Is that info on the back of the unit? The side against the wall it's mounted to?
Janet and Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 06:42 AM   #47

Alpine Owners Club
VMM

To be able to read the Info -- The unit has to be removed from the location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet and Todd View Post
Is that info on the back of the unit? The side against the wall it's mounted to?
Old 08-02-2016, 11:12 AM   #48

Parker Hannifin and JCA ????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry W View Post
All,

I got a note back from Parker Hannifin regarding programming the VMMs. The note was very non committal and corporate, which is understandable.

As follows,

The VMM family of controllers have a proprietary feature that allows a VMM to automatically reprogram a blank VMM in a similar family. There are nuances to how and when the reprogramming happens.

JCA understands these as they have been handling our VMM service for some time. I can't say why they need your non working unit, but you should feel free to ask them.

That was from PH, at the time I had been asked to send both of my units to them. In Lorna's follow up note with the price quote she said, "if I decide to send them both in label them good and bad".

Parker is non committal and JCA is a little confused. I'm thinking I might just wait til the programmer gets back on the 8th.

It would be nice to save the $250 programming fee as well as one way of the shipping cost.

That would bring it to $1440 plus shipping, a little better.

Terry
Hey Terry thanks for keeping us posted about the info you are gathering from two resources that don't seem to care much about our Vansco problems. I guess if you don't have a vested interest in these units they don't care. You would think since these units are obsolete there would be a replacement that could be installed. I have been looking for some other places to get these units worked on but haven't had any luck. I did find that MCI has used the Vansco units also. I am going to try to get some info from them.
I am not sure about the model numbers on the units. I have the 28 input 20 output units and I did find a manual on a Vansco 2820. The other model numbers in this post I am not sure of how they relate to the 2820.
I hope you can get to talk to the programmer when he gets back from vacation and find out more info as I am sure I am not the only one interested. I don't have a fatal problem now but would like have some plan together in and when I do.

Thanks Again,
Paul
Old 08-02-2016, 11:22 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtxbiker View Post
I am not sure about the model numbers on the units. I have the 28 input 20 output units and I did find a manual on a Vansco 2820.

Paul

I guess I know why it is called a Vansco 2820 now.
Parkereng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 02:08 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkereng View Post
I guess I know why it is called a Vansco 2820 now.
Who'd a thunk it. I learn something new everyday.

Mine are both 28 in and 20 out, but the front one, from 2010 is labelled 2820.

I inquired about buying 2 un programmed units and asked about the handling charges etc and I got my reply today.

I was told the total cost would be $2725 for two, plus shipping which would be just the one way.

Lorna did go on to say, "There is no problem ordering a non-programmed VMM, but as we advise all our VMM customers, there's a chance that a blank VMM won't plug and play. Having said this, we leave it to you to decide if you'll take that chance".

This is all good and well, but in another note she said, if you send her a bad VMM, in the event both of yours were bad. They cannot guarantee they would be able to extract the files and therefore may not be able to provide a replacement with programming.

Apparently if both of yours fail there's a good possibility that you would need to find another Alpine owner and use his VMM to program yours. Which begs the question, would it have to be the same year, model, have the same options? Or are they all the same program?

I will order one, maybe two, and see what happens. I think worst case scenario is I would have to eat some crow and send them my good one and a blank one and fork over some $$$.

Terry
Old 08-02-2016, 04:06 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry W View Post
Who'd a thunk it. I learn something new everyday.

Mine are both 28 in and 20 out, but the front one, from 2010 is labelled 2820.

I inquired about buying 2 un programmed units and asked about the handling charges etc and I got my reply today.

I was told the total cost would be $2725 for two, plus shipping which would be just the one way.

Lorna did go on to say, "There is no problem ordering a non-programmed VMM, but as we advise all our VMM customers, there's a chance that a blank VMM won't plug and play. Having said this, we leave it to you to decide if you'll take that chance".

This is all good and well, but in another note she said, if you send her a bad VMM, in the event both of yours were bad. They cannot guarantee they would be able to extract the files and therefore may not be able to provide a replacement with programming.

Apparently if both of yours fail there's a good possibility that you would need to find another Alpine owner and use his VMM to program yours. Which begs the question, would it have to be the same year, model, have the same options? Or are they all the same program?

I will order one, maybe two, and see what happens. I think worst case scenario is I would have to eat some crow and send them my good one and a blank one and fork over some $$$.

Terry
Terry, keep us posted if you get one or two. Are you going to replace one of your working VMM's with one of the new ones right away? I would be chicken to do this because everything on my coach is working. If you do take that chance and it works, you would obviously have an extra confirmed working VMM as a back up which would be really valuable if you lost both VMM's at the same time.

Steve
Old 08-03-2016, 07:45 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkereng View Post
Terry, keep us posted if you get one or two. Are you going to replace one of your working VMM's with one of the new ones right away? I would be chicken to do this because everything on my coach is working. If you do take that chance and it works, you would obviously have an extra confirmed working VMM as a back up which would be really valuable if you lost both VMM's at the same time.

Steve
Steve,

My plan is to order two, I'll transfer funds today. I'm thinking I'll have them by the end of next week. Looks like 3 days for the money transfer and about 4 days shipping.

I have one good working one so I'm thinking I'll program one of the new ones off of the existing good one and see how it goes. If all goes well, I'll program the other new one and stick it in the basement as a spare. I figure I'll use the existing one until it fails. This way I'll have a new spare and my existing bad one that actually works. It's OK for use in the front position as long as I don't drive at night.

Tim said the programming is pretty straight forward as long as you follow the instructions to the letter. Once it's programmed I'll try it in the rear also just to double check it.

This is my plan as of now, is there a madness to my method?? We'll see!!

On the ACA site in the tech section there is, diagnostic and download information with VMMS software download instructions. It's all beyond me, but a smart person, probably a Jr. High student, could probably do a lot of looking around with the right interface cables. The section addresses the LEDs on the VMM and PDM also.

Terry
Old 08-03-2016, 05:13 PM   #53

Terry,

Sounds like a good plan of action. Keep us posted.

Steve
Old 08-04-2016, 08:42 PM   #54

Alpine Owners Club
OK Guys .... this is going to be short and sweet - We are in W Springfield MA at the FMCA Rally to attend the Governing Board Meetings. Sunday morning as we were preparing to enter the Fairgrounds - our Apex wouldn't start and our rear Vansco Rear Module went out!!! The starter wires were super loose (?from the engine rebuild 18 months ago?) and were arcing - a mechanic here at Rally (David Atherton from Quartzsite) said the arcing knocked out the Vansco and even after replacing the starter & solenoid it still only starts with jump starting it!

It has been a nasty, long battle with JCA (John Anderson) making us jump through hoops and not "giving a care" about the WRV Coach owners - and even though the $1375 was wired Tues night and went into their account Wednesday morning, the Unit was not shipped until late this afternoon and is now in route to the FedEx Store here in Springfield.

I was told today that there are no more 2820 Modules in stock but they expect a shipment 8/31. After we get our Module tomorrow morning, and see that it works, I intend to call the factory and talk with their Customer Service Rep who appeared to actually care whether we were getting service from JCA. There makes no sense that WRV coaches with the 2820 Modules are in the USA - not Canada, yet Vansco has given the exclusive right to carry these modules to someone in CAN that could care less about the RVer or understand (care) about our plight when we are "dead in the water" because of the computer failure.

Maybe if enough of us put some pressure on Vansco - we could get them to let Mike Fleming and Vagabond Water carry them in USA for WRVers????
#75710.
swansnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 06:46 AM   #55

Two thoughts: 1--based on this and previous comments, it does appear Alpine owners with Vansco units are at increasing risk of being stranded because of sourcing issues with JCA in Canada. My understanding is that Vansco modules [2820s????] are used in a variety of vehicles so Alpine owners aren't the only ones driving demand, and service. Have to wonder if the whole customer base is suffering.
2--Assuming the arcing starter cable was the root cause, I am a bit concerned that it actually caused the Vansco to fail. Are you sure the module has really failed--are all other module functions out, eg, lights? Curious, are you getting voltage to the "secondary" starter solenoid when the ignition key is turned to "start" position? Also assume the Allison shifter keyboard is displaying properly--eg, "N" for neutral?
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 08:39 AM   #56

Alpine Owners Club
Vansco Multiplex Modules

My two VMM & the PDM arrived at JCA on 8/5/16 by FedEx
Have to wait until Monday 8th for the programmer Bob Opitz to return from a Vacation -- Now on to the Next Step
I am also attempting to buy one additional VMM from JCA
At present the Battery Compartment VMM not working -- The Front VMM is working
My plan is to replace the Rear VMM - Than have a new VMM programed for the front -- Will keep the existing good VMM for a Spare
JCA is suppose to be able to test the PDM that I also sent. There has been Issues with the PDM's in the Past on 2005 Alpines

The Parlier's
2005 Alpine Limited