Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-14-2016, 10:37 AM   #85

Replacing modules

Any experience with replacing modules on your 2008 Alpine EngineerMike? Per the manual on the 2820 module if you have a working module you can remove the bad one and replace with a blank(no program) module and it will download the program and software from the good module. Have you performed this and can confirm this operation. I don't know about using one from a different year would work. I am considering ordering 2 blank modules and letting them load from my units and keep them for spares. I just don't like the idea of being stranded on the road and having to go through the hassle of ordering and the wait plus if they are not in stock you are screwed.

Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineerMike View Post
2004m.y. ladder logic is in fact different and although the VMM 2820 is the exact same unit for all 04-09 Alpines (even Avalanches to I think they also have different ladder logic) the pin-outs for 04 are different than for 2005+
My 2008 appears to have same ladder logic (I have a print out of the ladder logic & I believe it is posted on the ACA Tech Library) as 2005 but is missing a few wires in the loom/connectors on the VMM. It appears WRV kept the same programming as 2005 but when features moved from direct wired analog to J1939 digital (e.g. trans shift pad & Allison TCU in 05 were analog but it went to digital in 06m.y.'s) they just eliminated the superfluous analog wires since that doesn't hurt anything.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2016, 03:51 PM   #86

Alpine Owners Club
All alpines

All Alpines
Does anyone have any estimte of actully how manny Alpines are still on the Road ---- My understanding WRV built the Alpines between 2004 thru 2009
The numbers could help with dealing with JCA in Canada
It is actually very rare traveling in My Alpine & see another Alpine
The Parliers
2005 Alpine

Old 08-15-2016, 07:14 PM   #87

Alpine Owners Club
Hello and Welcome Parliers; WRV manufactured Alpines Coaches from 1998 until they closed until 2009. If you go to the Alpine Register on this forum Alpine Registerrums/f104/alpine-register-78224-5.html (At the end of last page)

You can Download the now current Alpine Register that was just updated by DrDave. The document will contain all of the VIN numbers (Last five digits) of all the Alpines manufactured. I hope this information will help you.

Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 08:29 PM   #88

Alpine Owners Club
2005 Alpine Vansco Multiplex Module

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Parliers View Post
All Alpines
Does anyone have any estimte of actully how manny Alpines are still on the Road ---- My understanding WRV built the Alpines between 2004 thru 2009
The numbers could help with dealing with JCA in Canada
It is actually very rare traveling in My Alpine & see another Alpine
The Parliers
2005 Alpine

As Dave F says, WRV built coaches from 1998 to 2009, they started using the VMM in 2004. During those years there were 3 models, the Limited, the Apex and the Avalanche. The Limited was the base model, the Apex has a bunch of enhancements, the Avalanche was the model that tried to capture a lower price point.

If you would like to be included in the Alpine register please post a response to that thread or send me a PM and I will add you to the list. I update it and publish the latest at the end of each month. I need the following info:

Last 5 of VIN
Model Length - 34, 36, 38, 40 (not actual)
Engine - 300, 350, 400, 425
Floor plan - (names changed over time, but looking for front/mid door, number of slides)
Model - Avalanche, Limited, Apex
Name(s)
City, State

I hope you have stayed dry during the floods in LA and we will see you somewhere around the country. btw - we were in Cajun Palms for the month of January 2015.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 03:58 PM   #89

I installed and programmed my new VMM 2820 today. I followed the programming instructions on the ACA site and it was a very simple process. Just like Tim Shively said!! There are only 13 steps total and 9 of them address the actual programming. The unit did NOT come with any programming instructions, just a packing list.

The most difficult part of the job is removing the bolts in the front VMM, but that isn't an issue unless you are doing it by yourself. I bought 1/2 inch longer full threaded bolts and installed them with the heads on the outside of the firewall. I then ran a nut and washer down on the bolts to capture them and ended up with a stud, so to speak, that way you can just put a nut on from the inside. Makes things way easier for doing by yourself. You could swap it out in 20 mins.

The old and new VMMs are identical in appearance. The patent #s are the same, as you would assume. Manufacture dates, old 12/20/2010, new 6/28/2016. Mdl., old 7651-67486-00, new 151868. Old was labeled HW REV. 0.8, nothing like that on the new one.

I wired money and ordered 8/4, the VMM shipped 8/9, I received it 8/16 routine ground shipping. Cost $1375 non programmed.

All appears to be working at this point, I have no reason to believe things aren't normal. I won't be able to use the MH for a couple of weeks, but I'll update with the outcome.

On one of the Vansco sheets in the ACA tech library there is a sentence addressing the programming of 2 new VMMs. They say in the event that both of yours were bad then you can get an Alpine Coach buddy to remove one of his and install yours and program it for you. You take your new programmed one and program your other new one. It makes no mention of years or models. I don't know if it's a Vansco or WRV document.

Feel free to ask questions.

Terry
Terry W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 05:02 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry W View Post
I installed and programmed my new VMM 2820 today. They say in the event that both of yours were bad then you can get an Alpine Coach buddy to remove one of his and install yours and program it for you. Feel free to ask questions.

Terry
Terry,

What if I have no friends!
Old 08-19-2016, 05:16 PM   #91

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkereng View Post
Terry,

What if I have no friends!

That is why you have ACA!!!
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 02:15 PM   #92

Hey All,

I received my second new VMM on 9/7 and finally got around to programming it today, too busy enjoying my first new VMM.

It programmed just like the other new one, I followed the instructions and all went well. I now have a fully functioning spare for front or rear and a partially functioning spare that will work in the front for daylight driving. They will be stashed in the basement and hopefully I will never need them!! As of now all systems seem to be operating correctly, hard to know when they might not have been right to begin with. I can now adjust the seats and extend or retract the LR slide without the key being on, oh yeah, I can drive without my headlights going off.

I paid $2725 for two VMMs and another $125 or so for shipping and wire transfer fees. This is an expensive spare part to stash in the basement, but in the event of another failure I have a spare. I have never been broken down in a convenient place. I can swap one out in about an hour and be on my way. If this had been a part that I could order on line with a CC and had overnighted I probably would have just bought one.

Thanks to all of you for your input and now on to my next Alpine adventure,
Terry
Old 09-16-2016, 02:23 PM   #93

....all is well that ends well--good on you!
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 03:55 PM   #94

Alpine Owners Club
VTX, I would be interested in this, having a 06 Apex and knowing friend who just went through this last year, this idea has great wisdom !!
Old 09-16-2016, 04:31 PM   #95

Terry your posts and followups have been precise, detailed and will be great help to others. Thank You.
Old 09-17-2016, 08:10 AM   #96

Thanks for the updates!!!

Hey Terry, thanks for the updates on the programming of the VMM's. Its great info that the blank units will program from a good one without paying program fees. Although it looks like most of the problems have been with the 2005 models that is no assurance that it could not happen to any model that uses these modules. Since these modules control vital parts of the motor home I think I will bite the bullet and order a spare unit and program it before I have a problem. Like was said it is an expensive item for a spare but a breakdown in a remote location and going through the hassle of dealing with the Canada vendor would be awful!

Thanks again
Paul

Quote:
I installed and programmed my new VMM 2820 today. I followed the programming instructions on the ACA site and it was a very simple process. Just like Tim Shively said!! There are only 13 steps total and 9 of them address the actual programming. The unit did NOT come with any programming instructions, just a packing list.

The most difficult part of the job is removing the bolts in the front VMM, but that isn't an issue unless you are doing it by yourself. I bought 1/2 inch longer full threaded bolts and installed them with the heads on the outside of the firewall. I then ran a nut and washer down on the bolts to capture them and ended up with a stud, so to speak, that way you can just put a nut on from the inside. Makes things way easier for doing by yourself. You could swap it out in 20 mins.

The old and new VMMs are identical in appearance. The patent #s are the same, as you would assume. Manufacture dates, old 12/20/2010, new 6/28/2016. Mdl., old 7651-67486-00, new 151868. Old was labeled HW REV. 0.8, nothing like that on the new one.

I wired money and ordered 8/4, the VMM shipped 8/9, I received it 8/16 routine ground shipping. Cost $1375 non programmed.

All appears to be working at this point, I have no reason to believe things aren't normal. I won't be able to use the MH for a couple of weeks, but I'll update with the outcome.

On one of the Vansco sheets in the ACA tech library there is a sentence addressing the programming of 2 new VMMs. They say in the event that both of yours were bad then you can get an Alpine Coach buddy to remove one of his and install yours and program it for you. You take your new programmed one and program your other new one. It makes no mention of years or models. I don't know if it's a Vansco or WRV document.

Terry
Old 09-26-2016, 05:50 PM   #97

Quote:

Terry

Terry, where did you order your VMM's? We are having problems with the one that controls the chassis battery charging. We'd like to get another one.

Thanks,
Jim & Marilyn Godfrey
2007 34FDDS.
Old 09-27-2016, 08:49 AM   #98

Jim and Marilyn,

JCA Electronics

118 King Edward St East - R3H ON8

Winnipeg, Manitoba

Canada

204-415-1104

If you have read through the posts I'm sure you're aware of their process, you need to open a Fed Ex type of account, a money transfer and waiting period of 72 hours, there is also a handling charge of $25 and a $250 charge if you have them program the new VMM.

I take it the one you're replacing is functioning correctly with the exception of the chassis battery charging. If that is the case it will make a good spare since you are aware of it's limitations.

Did you swap your VMMs front to rear to see if the problem followed? That should verify that it is a VMM issue rather than something related to the chassis or wiring.

I would be curious to know how it would work in the front if you were to swap them. Engineer Mike may have a thought or two on this.

Good luck and keep us posted,
Terry