Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2016, 03:20 PM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry W View Post
Jim and Marilyn,

JCA Electronics

118 King Edward St East - R3H ON8

Winnipeg, Manitoba

Canada

204-415-1104

If you have read through the posts I'm sure you're aware of their process, you need to open a Fed Ex type of account, a money transfer and waiting period of 72 hours, there is also a handling charge of $25 and a $250 charge if you have them program the new VMM.

I take it the one you're replacing is functioning correctly with the exception of the chassis battery charging. If that is the case it will make a good spare since you are aware of it's limitations.

Did you swap your VMMs front to rear to see if the problem followed? That should verify that it is a VMM issue rather than something related to the chassis or wiring.

I would be curious to know how it would work in the front if you were to swap them. Engineer Mike may have a thought or two on this.

Good luck and keep us posted,

Terry

Terry,
We had our coach in a shop where they switched them out. Not sure what they found. This is a very confusing issue, to say the least!

We are in a trip and will take it back to the shop upon our return. Should have full-size diagrams from Engineer Mime by then as well.

Thanks for the information!
ladytj1754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2016, 09:48 AM   #100

Quote:
Jim and Marilyn,

JCA Electronics

118 King Edward St East - R3H ON8

Winnipeg, Manitoba

Canada

204-415-1104

If you have read through the posts I'm sure you're aware of their process, you need to open a Fed Ex type of account, a money transfer and waiting period of 72 hours, there is also a handling charge of $25 and a $250 charge if you have them program the new VMM.

I take it the one you're replacing is functioning correctly with the exception of the chassis battery charging. If that is the case it will make a good spare since you are aware of it's limitations.

Did you swap your VMMs front to rear to see if the problem followed? That should verify that it is a VMM issue rather than something related to the chassis or wiring.

I would be curious to know how it would work in the front if you were to swap them. Engineer Mike may have a thought or two on this.

Good luck and keep us posted,

Terry

Terry and others:

Our tech switched out the VMM's and nothing changes. Must be something else. We've gone the route of putting our tech in touch with Engineer Mike to see if 2 heads are better than one at trying to figure this out. It's increasingly frustrating, to say the least. Hope for good news in the next few days.
Old 11-04-2016, 11:10 AM   #101

Alpine Owners Club
Jim and Marilyn,

Can you recap all your symptoms, even better, start a new thread, since you have a 2007, this thread's header confuses folks.

Dave
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 11:16 AM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDaveMA View Post
Jim and Marilyn,

Can you recap all your symptoms, even better, start a new thread, since you have a 2007, this thread's header confuses folks.

Dave

Will do!
Old 11-27-2016, 01:34 PM   #103

My wife and I are still searching for our first Alpine. Just looked at an 03 and 06. The 03 was a no go. Starting negotiations on the 06 but not certain we will come to terms. Have an 05 and maybe another 03 to look at. Had hoped to stick with 03 to avoid the Vansco issue, it now seems likely that a VMM will be in our future. Apologies for the long lead in.

My question is: Does anyone who has had a VMM failure have an extended warranty and if so, why would that component not be covered? It seems to play a rather critical role in the proper function of the coach. Right up there with the engine, transmission, radiator, brakes, etc. I have done only minimal research on extended warranties as we have yet to become owners, so perhaps my ignorance on the matter is the reason for the silly question.

If it is a covered component, it would seem logical to bite the bullet and buy a spare before a failure occurs and have the warranty provide a new spare when a failure actually occurs. This would keep you with a spare for any number if failures as long as the policy remains in effect. Certainly most if not all members on this forum have dropped $1500 on their coach for something less important.

A final question: Are the new Modules less prone to failure?

Bob
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 05:48 PM   #104

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPioneer View Post
My wife and I are still searching for our first Alpine. Just looked at an 03 and 06. The 03 was a no go. Starting negotiations on the 06 but not certain we will come to terms. Have an 05 and maybe another 03 to look at. Had hoped to stick with 03 to avoid the Vansco issue, it now seems likely that a VMM will be in our future. Apologies for the long lead in.

My question is: Does anyone who has had a VMM failure have an extended warranty and if so, why would that component not be covered? It seems to play a rather critical role in the proper function of the coach. Right up there with the engine, transmission, radiator, brakes, etc. I have done only minimal research on extended warranties as we have yet to become owners, so perhaps my ignorance on the matter is the reason for the silly question.

If it is a covered component, it would seem logical to bite the bullet and buy a spare before a failure occurs and have the warranty provide a new spare when a failure actually occurs. This would keep you with a spare for any number if failures as long as the policy remains in effect. Certainly most if not all members on this forum have dropped $1500 on their coach for something less important.

Bob

Bob, first there are 2 types of extended warranties, inclusionary or exclusionary, so it depends upon what policy you have. Many companies will not write a policy for a coach over 10 years old. So unless you are assuming an, already in place policy, you might have a problem getting one.

We will have to get someone with a replacement module to tell us if they are less prone to failure. Secondly there were a lot of units built in 2005/6 so the failure rate might not be as high as it seems, although a failure can be catastrophic.

Dave
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 06:23 PM   #105

Alpine Owners Club
Bob, Our Extended Warranty through Wholesale Warranties would have covered our Vansco that went out at the MA FMCA Convention, but we never turned it in to them. Our rear Module was actually shorted out by a loose ground wire on the starting motor after Cummins rebuilt the engine 18 months before.

We have never been without an Extended Warranty on our '07 APEX and they have covered all sorts of failures. When we returned home we had new issues with the motorhome that included replacing the radiator, CAC, hydraulic motor, etc which was much more expensive than the Vansco failure so we just "ate" that repair! (Again, we feel that at least some of these issues were related to the poor rebuild by Bloomington Cummins in 2015)

When we bought this Warranty - they had an inspection done and the coach was in top condition - however we subsequently had monumental failures and the Warranty has paid 5 or 6 times what we paid for the 4 year policy! And we are only just starting the 3rd year! If you are looking for a coach - be sure it has had an Extended Warranty policy all of the way up until you buy it - because that is one of the criteria they are looking at when you go to buy another one! They usually ave been better maintained!

You have the right idea about having a spare Vansco. We still need to do this but don't anticipate another problem anytime soon! (Famous last words!)
#75710.
swansnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 07:04 PM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPioneer View Post

Bob
Bob,

I recently replaced one of my VMMs. The one I replaced had a mfg date of 2010, I don't know any history on my MH, I've only had it for a year and a half. The one I replaced wasn't completely bad so I kept it as a replacement for the front position only. I ordered a spare after I found out what a PITA it is to get a new one. I would hate to jump through all of those hoops while broken down somewhere.

My rear VMM is still good and is apparently original. It lives in the battery compartment which is a hostile environment compared to the front VMM, which is the one that failed. I haven't heard of anyone having a replacement VMM long enough to know how well they hold up. I would expect they should be like the originals. They aren't a high failure item!! Electronics are always a little bit of a crap shoot!

If you read all of the posts you'll see what a hassle it is to get a new one and also about programming a replacement.

Terry
Terry W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 12:32 PM   #107

Alpine Owners Club
I would like the instructions, please. I can't find on ACA site Do you just plug it in and turn it on?
Larry Kenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 12:59 PM   #108

Larry, Its a little more involved than that, not difficult but the instructions are very explicit in a couple of steps.

Go to the ACA site and go to the Tech Section

Go to Chassis and Brakes

Scroll down to Vansco VMM Replacement Instructions

I followed them to the letter and all went well. Good luck and let us know how it worked out for you.

Terry
Terry W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 10:17 PM   #109

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Larry, Its a little more involved than that, not difficult but the instructions are very explicit in a couple of steps.

Go to the ACA site and go to the Tech Section

Go to Chassis and Brakes

Scroll down to Vansco VMM Replacement Instructions

I followed them to the letter and all went well. Good luck and let us know how it worked out for you.

Terry
I take it the chassis disconnect is the one in the battery compartment where the othe 2820 is.
Larry Kenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 11:18 PM   #110

Alpine Owners Club
Larry,
Short answer: Yes!
Old 12-28-2016, 05:57 PM   #111

we have a 2008 alpine 36mds having an issue with no power to air horn solenoid. Yook us forever to find it. Wondering if t could be the smart wheel or the modules that I have. We have an appointment with Freightliner RV on the 19th for repairs-now wondering if there is something major wrong. Interesting post. Called Rv corral and they told me to reboot the modules and see if that will give power to solenoid but that didn't work.
Pmllol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 09:22 AM   #112

Exclamation Alpine VMM Help

I have been reading through all the forums.

I have a 2005 Alpine Avalanche Motorhome and It will not start. The VMM is getting good power but both the VMM's are not powering and I have spoke with JCA and Bob was very very helpful. He walked me through a couple testing.
However because possibly both of my VMM's being bad I cant send him a good VMM to program a blank for me.

I am needing to see if anyone is willing to help me.
I am in need of borrowing a working VMM to plug into my coach and verify that both of my VMM's are bad and then send it in to JCA so they can program off yours 2 new ones for my RV.

Im desperate at this point.
RVAdvisor169 is offline   Reply With Quote