Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-17-2017, 10:17 AM   #113

Concern here is that you are talking about a model of Alpine that had a very limited production run, perhaps less than 30 coaches. Not clear if the Vansco configuration found in the more main-stream models of Alpine will be compatible. Hopefully, someone with more Vansco experience will chime in. Don't know that using a non- Avalanche module to reboot your module would be an issue--suspect trying to find an Avalanche module would be best??????
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2017, 09:47 AM   #114

RVA169,

I have had VMM issues, but, don't take this to mean I'm any kind of an authority on the VMM. I personally would believe that they are all the same, VMM 2820, and probably have the same program. I would think they perform the same function in all of the coaches. This is just a guess!!

Somebody please correct me, but aren't all of their functions chassis related? Head and tail lights, turn signals, starting and running etc.

That said, I have never even seen an Avalanche so you can take this with a grain of salt. I talked to JCA when I replaced mine and got the same answer you got. Send them a good one to use to program yours and they will send them both back and charge you $250 for programming. If memory serves they even suggested I send my PDM, not 100% sure about that though.

I programmed my new one myself using my good one and all is well. Took about 30 minutes.

The VMMs are not a high failure item from what I've seen. I'm having trouble believing that both of yours failed at once. It sounds like you've verified that you have power to both VMMs.

I think that if I was in your shoes I would try to find somebody close who would let you plug in your VMMs and try to program them from their good one. I think that would give you an indication of whether or not yours are bad. That might be easier than finding somebody who will send theirs to JCA and have it gone for who knows how long. JCA is a PITA to deal with.

I believe that Engineer Mike has a pigtail and maybe even the ability to program a VMM, not sure, you'd have to contact him.

Terry
Terry W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 09:54 AM   #115

FWIW, I've never checked for Avalanches on DrDaves registry, there may be one or more on there. You might also try a new post looking for other Avalanches.

Good luck, Terry
Old 02-18-2017, 02:54 PM   #116

Add me to the list

I would be willing to look at adding my name to the list for purchasing one VMM if that helps to reach the min. number for a bulk order. Wasn't sure if that option was still under consideration? For me it's added insurance to have a spare one on hand.
RDM3525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 07:32 AM   #117

Ron,

I believe the group buying idea was scrapped. I don't think there was a price break to be had. It was a good idea, too bad it didn't pan out. For me the price, while high, was secondary to the hassle of getting a VMM from JCA. I still don't understand why it's such a PITA.

Terry
Old 04-11-2017, 11:58 PM   #118

Alpine Owners Club
vmm Replacement

Well folks I'm joining the fray. I will be ordering my second VMM for my 2004. Both times that mine have gone out has been right after coming out of the shop doors after repairs (once in 2011? after entire battery replacement - the rear VMM went bad) and today (4/11/17 the front VMM went bad) for such things as exhaust manifold replacement (port 3 leak), fuel lift pump replacement (eng maint light came on and fault showed fuel pressure issue - pump leaking), replaced jake brake wiring harness due to broken high level jake brake wire under the valve cover, serpentine belt replacement (never been done), and coolant system pressure test (have had overheating fault lights - can't find issue. All work was done at professional shops.

I will doing the hoop jumping jig with JCA and hopefully will be able to purchase two VMMs and using the instructions program them and have a spare. Question: Do I have to turn the front cut off switch in my mid door step well as well as the switch in the battery compartment? The step well switch turns off things like furnace/heat pump controller, dc lights, entertainment center distribution until, lp and carbon detectors. The PDM is still on and AC power to plug ins, TV, VCR, AC lights, fridge. (Now why would they do all that but no power to thermostat so you could have the propane furnace or A/C/heat pumps work???) Another Western WT????

I am convinced that power surges from somewhere are taking these units out. I wish that the manufacturer would look into the design and figure out why these are failing and correct it or come up with a work around (better fusing before the VMMs to protect them?) I kind of read up on the info in the tech library about how the VMMs are to be installed in a vehicle and I did see where higher volt wires were supposed to be isolated from lower volt wires - if I understood it correctly! So maybe the VMMs are super sensitive to "stray" voltages?? I'm by no means an electrical/electronic engineer!!!

Oh, and I've never had turn signal sounds! I've left mine blinking, annoying the hell out of people I'm sure because I didn't notice the dash lights (probably had something laying in front of the light!)

Wish me luck!!!

Lynn 2004 36 MDDS
35000 total miles
One frustrated Alpine Lady right now!!!!
2004 36MDDS #74920
Poulsbo, WA
Lynn Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 08:14 AM   #119

Lynn,

I feel your pain and frustration. Couple of questions, I am guessing you re-booted your Vansco. Turn of the battery disconnect and wait a few second and turn back on.

When you say the VMM is bad I'm curious what it is doing or not doing. I'm also wondering if you swapped the positions of the two units to verify the problem followed the bad one.

I am no expert on the VMM, or anything else for that matter, but I did spend a lot of time trouble shooting mine before I bought a new one. The programming instructions are on the ACA site and are simple to follow. I did follow them to the letter and things worked out fine. A couple of others here have programmed theirs with good results.

As for JCA, it is a cumbersome process, I still don't get it. I bought two VMMs because of the time and hassle involved in getting them.

Good luck and keep us posted, Terry
Old 04-12-2017, 08:16 AM   #120

Alpine Owners Club
Update to Lynn Marie VMM

It is my front VMM that is supposedly "bad" as no lights are on.

Question: On the Power Distribution Module (PDM) above the front VMM, Bus Bar 1 (Inputs): the power light is lit, but the on light is not. Confusing, yes, but there are two lights for power for the inputs. The upper is on, the one under is not. All the input lights are out.

On Bus Bar 2 (Outputs), the power light, the on light, and all the output lights are lit.

So, where does the PDM receive input power info from? The back VMM or the Front VMM?

Thanks!

Have a call into Lorna (I'm on west coast so called at 6 a.m. They are awake in Manitoba, but Lorna didn't answer.) Waiting.....
2004 36MDDS #74920
Poulsbo, WA
Old 04-12-2017, 08:59 AM   #121

Alpine Owners Club
VMM Order

Lorna just called me back and will be sending a quote. The price has gone up to $1500 per unit, plus the programming, shipping, wire transfer costs. I am going to do my own "programming". Sounds like they have some in stock.

She also is having me talk to Bob who is the quality control guy and who used to work for Vansco. If I get a warm fuzzy from him that these units are not going to be discontinued by Vansco and that JCA will have enough in stock to handle our Alpine emergencies, then I might just order one and gamble!

When I mentioned to Lorna that Vansco should determine why these things are going south and fix them, she said that there was a recall on these units. When I talk to Bob, I'll ask him about a recall. If it is a MAJOR design flaw that shuts down and strands a motorhome out in the middle of nowhere then why aren't we getting free replacements or at least a huge discounted price for these??
2004 36MDDS #74920
Poulsbo, WA
Old 04-12-2017, 09:32 AM   #122

Alpine Owners Club
I did turn off the switch in the battery compartment and in the stairwell and waited at least 5 minutes. Turned them back on, no dice. I just talked to the mechanic and they did swap the units and the front one is dead. They just jumped the coach to move it from the shop area to their hookup area, so I'll have power and water while we wait for JCA. Such a sad deal!!!
2004 36MDDS #74920
Poulsbo, WA
Old 04-12-2017, 05:49 PM   #123

Lynn, PM sent
Old 04-12-2017, 07:15 PM   #124

Monaco Owners Club
I will be picking up our "new to us" 2007 Alpine.
This Vansco thing is really my only big concern.
Please keep the info coming.
I plan on buying a couple these things just in case.

That said a week from today I will have had the coach one full day!
Old 04-13-2017, 08:35 AM   #125

Lynn,

I just looked at a video of my VMM and PDM that I took while I was troubleshooting my problem. The video shows my PDM lit up like a Xmas tree and the VMM also. From your description I'm kind of suspecting there may be an issue with your PDM. I don't know exactly where it is powered from, is it fused, bad or loose connection??

I believe there are some schematics on the ACA site. I will try to post a video of mine working. If I can't post I'll text it or e-mail it to somebody that is better at posting than I am.

Terry
Old 04-13-2017, 07:12 PM   #126

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry W View Post
Lynn,

I just looked at a video of my VMM and PDM that I took while I was troubleshooting my problem. The video shows my PDM lit up like a Xmas tree and the VMM also. From your description I'm kind of suspecting there may be an issue with your PDM. I don't know exactly where it is powered from, is it fused, bad or loose connection??

I believe there are some schematics on the ACA site. I will try to post a video of mine working. If I can't post I'll text it or e-mail it to somebody that is better at posting than I am.

Terry
Terry, My PDM does all light up if you have the ignition key set to ACC so the PDM is alive according to Bob the QA fellow from JCA. Thank God!
2004 36MDDS #74920
Poulsbo, WA