Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-24-2016, 06:57 PM   #1

2006 34FDDS dining room light and outlet issue.

The dining room light and the outlet behind the passenger side front seat only work when I am plugged into shore power or when the generator is running. It does not work when the inverter is on, shore power is disconnected, and generator is off.

I am a new owner to "Alpines" .

Is this normal? and if so why would this be this way.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2016, 07:33 PM   #2

Mine is the same. I guess it's normal.

Mule Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 08:26 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club

That is normal operation, not all lights, plugs are on the inverter. Generator or shore power.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 11:03 AM   #4

Ok thanks guys. I wonder why they did this. I thought that maybe because this light is a high power consumption light (2, 110v incandescent bulbs) they didn't want to pull the batteries down quickly when only on battery power, but that theory kind of went out the window when the two incandescent lights of either end of the master bed's headboard worked on 110V house battery only.
Old 06-25-2016, 12:58 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Guys,

A 50-amp circuit from shore power effectively has 2 - 120V legs. Only 1 - leg actually feeds the Inverter. The other leg passes thru and feeds "non-essential" outlets or the ones you're finding dead when on Inverter mode. This is why the Inverter is typically setup to feed "Essential" circuits such as the refrigerator & microwave as well as outlets in the bathroom, etc. The object being that the "Essential" circuits are items you would "need" while dry camping &/or while traveling down the road.

This is also why you need to be careful about how many appliances are in use simultaneously while in Inverter mode. You can easily overload that circuit especially if you have a residential fridge. The Inverter "should" have a protection circuit against an overload but that's what eventually blew our original Xantrex 458 Combi Inverter. I now monitor the Xantrex SCP which displays total incoming amps being used to make I don't exceed 30 amps.

Also, the Onan 7.5 generator has a breaker labeled 35 Amp that corresponds to the same circuit that feeds the Inverter/Charger. This breaker will also blow if you overload that circuit. I found this out the hard way ... everything suddenly went dead right when I needed it to charge the batteries back up from overnight dry camping. Keep in mind, the Charger requires many amps to charge those bats!
bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 04:01 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club

Ok, so here is the "rest of the story". When originally manufactured your coach had a 2000 watt inverter, that is just over 18 amps. So Western needed to decide how to allocate those amps. As Bob said they determined what they thought was essential and put those circuits on the inverter, the rest were left to shore or generator power. On our coach the dining room light is not on the inverter, but there are two 12 volt halogen lights recessed into the ceiling over the dining room table that do operate on the batteries. BTW if you have not done so already convert all the recessed lights to led, it will help you go longer on the batteries. If you want to use the dimmer for these lights you will need to replace the dimmer, (the original dimmer reduced the voltage, LED's need you to pulse the full 12 volts so they can dim) get one for LED's and remove the capacitor WRV has buried in the ceiling. Yes, WRV did put the bedroom lights on 110 Volts, who knows why they did what they did, somethings make sense, other things, not so much, we just need to understand and work with them.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 11:47 AM   #7

In addition to the "essential" circuits, the inverter also powers the entertainment center. I might consider that essential, but others might not!

In fairness to WRV, the LED lights available when our coaches were designed were not that good. They are much better now.

Tags
light