Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-10-2009, 05:28 PM   #15

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Almost guarantee you that you have a bad hose on the rear slide. So many of us in the 05-06 years have had to replace the hoses above the radiator. Make sure you check out the thread mentioned above because it is more than just replacing the hoses. They need to be repositioned and protected if you use HWH replacement hoses. If I had to do it again I would use a different hose, perhaps from a local hydraulic hose shop.
If I remember correctly it is about a 5-6 hour job to replace the hoses and tune the system.
jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2009, 06:45 PM   #16

There is a diagram on the ACA Tech Library web page HERE for replacing hoses on a 2003 coach. I thought there was also a re-routing diagram that was provided by WRV, when there was such, but I can't find it. Check back there in a few days and I'm sure it will appear.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:34 PM   #17

Roger L.

Lift the radiator grill to get access to the HWH hoses over the radiator. There are bolts at the bottom of the grill that hold it down. The grill is somewhat heavy, so you might want some help with it. I've used an old broom handle to temporarily prop it open, but that could be dangerous if you decide to work in that area. With the help of a 2nd person, you can lift the grill to approximately horizontal then it can be lifted away from the side of the coach at the top. Once the grill is removed, you will have full access to the hoses above the radiator for inspection and possible repair.
Dale777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 09:36 PM   #18

I have a 06 34 Alpine that had the rear HWH hydraulic hoses moved from over the radiator to a different location. The hand drawn drawing from WRV's engineer can be found in the ACA Technical Library under WRV HWH files. Look for anything to do with HWH diagrams for the 06 34 or 36. This is what was sent to the shop that did the work on my coach. Good luck, Jerry
jerry and toni smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 12:34 AM   #19

Alpine Owners Club
Roger:

When you retract your slide, are you holding the button down for an extra 5-10 seconds? Those few seconds build up the pressure to "hold" the slide in. Even with a small leak, it can hold.

I just had the leaking slide hose connector, under the bed, replaced ($82). It had been leaking for years, but the slide stayed in during travel. I never leave the slides in when parked, so I can only speak about a maximum of 10-12 hours.
Old 11-13-2009, 02:27 PM   #20

Hello Dale, Well final got around today to pull the cover on the radiator, and found the hoses, sure enough, the two hoses, right next to the coupling fitting, were leaking, one had a real nice bubble on it. I decided to take it in on Monday to our local RV Shop and have them replace them. Thank God I got an extended warranty when I bought this coach.

Thanks everyone for all your help and information.

What's that old song that goes" Another bites the Dust"
Roger
Roger L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 06:42 PM   #21

Roger L.,

Don't let the repair shop just replace the hoses. They also need to re-route the hoses.

Note what Jerry and Toni Smith said in their post above,

"I have a 06 34 Alpine that had the rear HWH hydraulic hoses moved from over the radiator to a different location. The hand drawn drawing from WRV's engineer can be found in the ACA Technical Library under WRV HWH files. Look for anything to do with HWH diagrams for the 06 34 or 36. This is what was sent to the shop that did the work on my coach. Good luck, Jerry"
Old 11-16-2009, 06:10 PM   #22

Hello again everyone,
Well today I took the coach to our local RV Dealer to have them do a oil change on the cumming and the generator. I was also going to have them replace the leaking Hyd hose and reroute them per the drawing I got out of the Tech Library. But they told me they couldn't do that repair. They also could not flush the brake fluid system.
So I came home and called HWH. After talking to them, I think I'm going to just stop at their shop in Moscow, IA on our way to Tucson and have them fix it.
Have a few questions on that now.

What do you think the cost will be?

And Sunday moring I retracted the bedroom slide out. This morning before I left for the RV Dealer, I noticed that it had creeped out again.
Is there any way to secure the slide-out in the retacted position before I drive down to Moscow?
Should I fill the Hyd Tank before we leave? And is it the tank in that small compartment next to the entrance door to the coach? Or is that tank just for the hyd levelers?
Thanks in advance everyone
Roger
p.s. Thanks for the e-mail, Bill
Roger L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 08:30 PM   #23

Roger L.

Yes, you can secure the bedroom slide out in the retracted position. WRV had people cut a 2x4 to the right length and wedge it in the scissor mechanism so that the slide would not creep out. In my case, I went to CampingWorld and bought an adjustable screw wedge (right phrase?) that I used.

The HWH hydraulic tank is in that small compartment just behind the front door. It contains the HWH electronics, one hydraulic tank, one hydraulic pump motor, and multiple solenoids to control the jacks and slides (one for jacks and one for each of the slides).
Old 11-16-2009, 08:55 PM   #24

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
The one time I had to secure the slide I used the 2x4 method. Simple and easy to install. I used to carry them around for an emergency but realized that almost anything cut to size could be used.
jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 09:09 PM   #25

IIRC, you need to check the hydraulic fluid level with the slides in and the jacks up. Otherwise it will overflow when you bring them in. I carry a quart of the fluid with me, and so far I have not had to use it.

Make sure you remember to pull out the 2x4's before you operate the slides!
Old 11-16-2009, 09:18 PM   #26

Rog- I'm pretty sure HWH won't do brake fluid. They'll do the HWH stuff. Last time I heard their hourly rate was $75/hr (or at least that's the last I my rapidly failing memory recalls).

As to travel, you could wrap a fat string of bungees around the coach to press against the slide. That way if the slide comes out going around a right turn, at least it should snap back in when you straighten out. Or you could rent a big c-clamp for over the top of the coach.
(No charge by the way, for these excellent & helpful suggestions.)
Old 12-03-2009, 05:19 PM   #27

I have always found HWH to be VERY FAIR in their charges. I stopped there in July and their technician spent 30-40 minutes checking my system trying to find a "bug" in the system.

He didn't find anything wrong (and it hasn't returned), he even added a little fluid and they charged me ZERO....Can't say that for many shops out here.
NorCal Hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 07:35 PM   #28

Alpine Owners Club
Wayward slides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger L. View Post
Hello again everyone,
Well today I took the coach to our local RV Dealer to have them do a oil change on the cumming and the generator. I was also going to have them replace the leaking Hyd hose and reroute them per the drawing I got out of the Tech Library. But they told me they couldn't do that repair. They also could not flush the brake fluid system.
So I came home and called HWH. After talking to them, I think I'm going to just stop at their shop in Moscow, IA on our way to Tucson and have them fix it.
Have a few questions on that now.

What do you think the cost will be?

And Sunday moring I retracted the bedroom slide out. This morning before I left for the RV Dealer, I noticed that it had creeped out again.
Is there any way to secure the slide-out in the retacted position before I drive down to Moscow?
Should I fill the Hyd Tank before we leave? And is it the tank in that small compartment next to the entrance door to the coach? Or is that tank just for the hyd levelers?
Thanks in advance everyone
Roger
p.s. Thanks for the e-mail, Bill
I had the bed room slide problem a couple of years ago. All the way out traveling on I10 west of Palm springs. Blocked it from the inside, partially retracted. Traveled from PS to Pheonix with it sticking out.
Once I finally figured out the valves to open and close and using the wood blocks it was fairly easy to get the slide in and out. Just glad it wasn't the LRM slide. Also glad that the slides are not very deep. Once I got rid of the hoses that WRV installed and off the radiator I have not had any more problems. I hope I didn't just jinks myself.
Be careful messing around the solenoid valves, I broke one of the wires off and that also had to be replaced. The whole delema lasted about two weeks.
Good luck,
Brad