Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2014, 06:55 AM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
2006 alpine 400hp cummins isl water temps

does anyone know what the coolant/water normal temps would be on a 2006 alpine coach cummins 400hp isl. i notice that it gets up to around 209 and will drop to 190 and then back up to 209 0r 210. is this normal? im new to the motorhome stuff.
dennismhamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2014, 07:14 AM   #2
YC1

I have a 2008 and those temps match mine closely. I assume the higher end is climbing hills? The temps should drop quickly as soon as you level off or go down hill. If it is while idling it is probably due to the transmission getting hotter. Check those temps and you will see them rising if parked in gear in traffic for a long time. Drop it in neutral and set your parking brake and watch the temps go down.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 07:19 AM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
not really climbing hills, but a little hills maybe but noticed the temps climb when i have to accelerate. the average temp is 206
Old 09-16-2014, 07:24 AM   #4
YC1

If your average temps are running there in 80 degree weather I would change the thermostat. They changed the design a bit so don't be surprised if the new one is taller. If you have not cleaned your radiator and it is a rear one that definitely must be done routinely. Get your engine serial number and call Cummins for the correct part. Drop the new and old thermostat in boiling water and watch them open up. Changing it is not a big project.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 07:27 AM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
our average temp here in the summer is 90-95. the radiator is on the side at the rear. not sure if that makes a difference or not
Old 09-16-2014, 09:19 AM   #6

ISL Coolant Temps

My ISL runs 225 when pulling a steep grade in 90 degree weather. When the engine load drops off, the temps drop back to the usual 190 to 195. Do you have the aluminum radiator? My radiator was changed out due to failure and leaking at 15000 miles.

sdcyclist
Old 09-16-2014, 09:45 AM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
not sure if it aluminum or not but have never seen it leaking
Old 09-17-2014, 12:09 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
OK, alpine coaches are different from other MH's, that said, my non toad temps are 180-187 on the flat, 180-199 up a 5-7% grade. Take note, you should be in 4th gear, or lower to keep the rpm's at around 1900 going up the hill, this keeps the hydraulic pump on high so it turns your hydraulic cooling fan at it's max RPM's so the engine don't get too hot. I never get over 200 regardless of what % grade I am going up, this is also the case when towing my 2013 Wrangler Unlimited. You have something wrong with your cooling system.

Try this. If the coolant has not been changed since you owned it, change the coolant, and the overflow tank radiator cap. Use Fleetguard complete coolant, it takes around 12 gallons to get it completely changed. You won't need distilled water, since "complete is premixed with distilled water and the DCA additive you need for the engine". If that does not fix it, I would then check all the hoses, clamps, and ensure you have no leaks, then and only then would I change the thermostat. A bad cap on the overflow tank will not allow the correct 17PSI pressure build up, it will cause the heating you are experiencing.

NOTE: Other MH owners with different brands don't know crap about alpines, they know about their brand, thinking that what they know will help us, in most cases it won't do you a bit of good, and only muddy the waters. If an alpine owner does not give you advice then don't pay any attention to what the other folks say, their coaches are plumbed, wired, and configured way different than ours and use different components to do the same thing our components do. Not all systems are the same on other coaches.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 05:07 AM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
im new to the alpine coach and the allison transmission. it has push button shift and i noticed that the shift display has arrow up and arrow down for the transmission. can you tell me what that is for?
Old 09-17-2014, 05:08 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Even with the side radiator you'd benefit from a good cleaning of it. Your rear tires thru all kinds of dust and crap up into the radiator area. A number of owners have reported great results in lower temps after cleaning their side radiators.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 05:50 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennismhamm View Post
im new to the alpine coach and the allison transmission. it has push button shift and i noticed that the shift display has arrow up and arrow down for the transmission. can you tell me what that is for?
When going up hills, you want your RPMs to stay in the sweet spot. If the automatic tranny stays in a gear that drops RPMs too much, push the Down arrow in order to get into a lower gear (from 4 to 3, etc) and then RPMs will increase and you'll get back into your power band.

When going Down hills, shift into a lower gear in order to keep the coach from going too fast and over-revving.
Old 09-17-2014, 06:54 AM   #12

Guilty of PBC (posting before coffee)

Shifting into a lower gear while going Downhill will cause just the opposite; over-revving. Use the engine or exhaust brake for going downhill first, and shift into a lower gear to help it stay at a lower speed...if needed.
Old 09-18-2014, 12:10 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
In an alpine, some of them have jake brakes and some of them have engine brakes, both do similar things, but achieve them differently. The jake brake as I understand it, closes off the engine exhaust and cause back pressure on the cylinders to slow down the engine - the transmission should automatically shift into 4 gear, to assist in this process. I have the engine brake on my alpine apex, it, closes half or all the cylinder intake and exhaust valves, in effect making the engine a compressor and shifts the transmission into 4th gear to assist in this process. Low only closes 3 cylinder off, high closes all 6 cylinders off.

The correct way to drive a motorhome is never go down a hill faster than you went up, or in a gear higher than used to go up the hill and then down. In other words if 35-40 mph was your tops speed going up hill, keep that speed using the engine brake/Jake brake to keep your speed in that area. I switch back and forth between low and high going down hills so I don't hold up traffic too much. NOTE: You can over-rev these engines and cause lots of damage, so don't let the RPM go over the limit which is 2300 or so. You can call Cummins as ask them, but this what they will tell you. If you are new to diesel engines and motorhome I suggest you take a two day truck driving course and learn how to drive it properly and safely.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 07:27 AM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
where cani get a overflow radiator cap?

Tags
cummins, water