Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-02-2010, 09:16 AM   #1

2006 Alpine Entrance Door Issue

Good Morning Everyone, I seem to be having an issue with the entrance door to my coach. It's been very hard to pull open the handle from the outside. Had to climb through the bedroom window to get inside once and open it from there
I pulled the inside cover off the door, and adjusted the linkage, but that doesn't seem to make any differents. It really looks the it's just worn out and needs to be replaced. Can only lock the coach with the dead bolt

Question is where do I purchase a new assembly and what is the process to replace it?

Thanks for any feedback

Roger L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2010, 09:29 AM   #2

Hard to believe the door/lock parts are worn out on a 2006. Cant describe in detail but there are a couple of internal parts that tend to get out of alignment and the cable that links the door lock to the wind-stop on top of the door can also be a problem. I usually end up staring at the offending parts until the problem appears--the curse of a simple mind. As for parts, I think the door manufacturer [PTL] is defunct but the internal parts might be available elsewhere--good luck on a source.

Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 10:38 AM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Roger,

Check out this post.

Door Lock/latch

The normal look of the mechanism, is worn (loose). The critical part of my adjustment was "I then adjusted the linkage between the mechanism and the handle, beyond the normal allowable adjustment." This requires taking the linkage loose, shortening it to where you will have to pull the arm(s) that in mounts into, closer together so that it can be re-installed. When you are done, you will not have to pull the door handle out very far before the latch releases. I know this works, as I just did it on the Stacy's coach at the LV rally.
If I am not clear enough, feel free to call or PM me.
Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 11:00 AM   #4

I think you're right Dale, I noticed that when I tried to tight up the link ams, both of them seemed to be a little to long. I was going to shorten them but I didn't seem to have a hack saw with me on the coach so I bent the end in a little more ( at the 90 degree end of the arm)
There is one trip arm that is pop-riviet to the bracket that seems real loose and if I'm not mistaking is for the door lock. It doesn't seem to trip the lock. Do you know of any cross-section drawings that are available for this assembly?
Roger
Old 03-02-2010, 11:13 AM   #5

Thanks for the feed back. Here's a good one for you. I just went to the PTL Web Site to look up information for a replacement. Seems the company is less than 20 miles north of my home in Michigan. Only problem is I'm in Ft. Myer's Florida.
If only I had any luck at all!! Sucks to be me
Roger
Old 03-02-2010, 11:18 AM   #6

It has been a long time since I adjusted mine. My recolection is, all that was required was to shorten the rod attached to the outside handle. Mine requires just a light pull on the outside handle to open the door. I have never had an issue with the door popping partially open.
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 12:56 PM   #7

I can't imagine the mechanisms wearing out either. I have taken mine apart twice; once because the door was VERY difficult to open from the outside and the other because the lock was sticking. After adjusting linkage the door opens with a light pull on the handle. Lock also works well now. Good luck on adjusting it. Wish I could describe the adjusments but I am sure you can get it working.
Old 03-02-2010, 03:05 PM   #8

Our 06 was somewhat hard to pull from the factory, then got worse. I'm pretty sure if we still had it we would have been in Roger's shoes (tho w/slightly worse proximity to PTL the whole year). It sometimes took two hands.

I tried Dale's latch @ Vegas and was impressed at the difference his adjustment made. For those w/some arthritis, and who fumble w/a hard-to-pop-open latch, his minor modification is one of those really neat fixits that you will be happy you do or have done.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:06 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
PTL Engineering made the door and lock assembly. I would contact them or check the web site, but last time I checked it was still under construction. Call them, there tech support was first class when I had some issues, the explained what I had to do over the phone.

Roger L: We are in Largo, FL, and will be in Naples on the 14th of March, maybe we can compare notes in person if you have time. Having some major HH work under warranty completed while in Naples.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:53 AM   #10

Thanks for the offer Monty, but we're leaving for Savanna on Monday staying there for five days then heading home to make sure the taxes get done in time.
Be safe in your travels and all your feed back
Roger
Old 03-03-2010, 03:04 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
Roger, sorry we cannot help with a visit. Have a safe trip, where is home, we have the tax issue as well, but I'm trying to do them while on the road. Hope the door issue is completed, please post the solution.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:13 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Rv'er View Post
Roger, sorry we cannot help with a visit. Have a safe trip, where is home, we have the tax issue as well, but I'm trying to do them while on the road. Hope the door issue is completed, please post the solution.
Home is in Michigan, about 45 miles north of Detroit, a little town called Oxford. Don't think all the snow will be gone by then (wishfull thinking) I was going to take along all the tax information but seemed to forgotten all about it when we left Michigan on Nov 22. Oh well, Need to get back home anyway, it's been awhile. Miss the kids and the grandkids.
I will post the fix when it's completed. Have a safe trip and stay in touch
Roger
Old 03-11-2010, 07:31 AM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
PTL Engineering is still in business. 3333 John Conley Dr.
Lapeer, MI 48446; (810) 664-2310 x207; I ordered parts from them recently.
CookieJar
2007 40'FDTS
Old 03-12-2010, 11:57 AM   #14

Thanks CookieJar, I spoke with Jason there March 5th and he e-mailed a cross section drawing of the Assembly. Plan to go to their shop when I get home to buy a new assembly. It's only 20 miles from our house
Take care