Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-22-2010, 06:38 AM   #1

2006 FDDS-Water Leaking into Entrance Door

Good Morning Everyone, I seem to have water leaking into my entrance door. The leather covering over the plywood has pulled away near the bottom of the entrance door and is the plywood panel needs to be replaced because of dry rot.
All the door seals look to be in good shape. I have no clue as to where and how the water is getting into the inner door.

1# Could it be coming up from the water on the road?
2# How does one pull the door frame apart so I can replace the inner plywood panel? Seems the angle iron door frame has welded corners.

Thanks for any feed back.
Roger

Roger L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2010, 08:05 AM   #2
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger L. View Post
Thanks for any feed back.
Roger, I was just reading a post about a leak that was enabled by water wicking through the grainy end (edge) of a plywood panel. It really is a shame that your panels on a 2006 vehicle would begin to rot. I expect that there is something that is causing the water to be impelled on that piece and that there isn't any water proofing or ventilation in the door that would allow it to dry out.

I would look for an RV paint shop or body shop. They should be able to assist you. Good luck.

RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 09:33 AM   #3

Gotta be a seam. Start @ the top & work down. Top edge, window frame, handle assembly, side seams.
Old 05-22-2010, 03:32 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
I think that Mike is right. Mine was leaking from above, thur the door and out the weep hole in the bottom of the door. I sealed any and all suspect areas above the door.
Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 09:44 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
I had a leak on top of the door where the front cap seam cover meets the door. It cannot be filled with caulk unless you remove the little end cap at the end of the cap seam cover.(two screws) Mine had calk everywhere but at that one spot. When it rained there was a major leak down both sides of the door frame. When the little end cap was removed it was easy to see where the water was coming from and easy to fix.
JLMunsil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 11:27 PM   #6

Roger

You might also check the window in the door. Our previous coach did not have drain holes in the frame under the window. A decent quantity of water came out after holes were drilled in the frame. Also pull the door latch plate off and see if you see rust stains in the mechanism.

good luck, Ed
Old 05-29-2010, 02:49 AM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Ok, I am having trouble visualizing what the problem is here. Is the door leaking into the coach? If it's passing through the door then and going outside, then Dale's suggestion is good. I am aware of the leather/plastic/???? hinge seal of the door, but I have not seen any water coming in through that.

FWIW PTL Engineering made the door, frame, and the hinge seal area. All WRV did was take that unit and install it into the coach. If not sure, I would call them and see what they say, they are very helpful regarding their doors. This is assuming I do understand what we are talking about.
Old 05-31-2010, 06:54 AM   #8

Good Morning Monty, The water is getting into the door frame it self and sitting on the bottom of the door frame. The thin plywood back plate that the leather covering is glued to has dry rotten and I need to replace that piece of plywood.
I don't know how to pull the sheet of plywood out of the steel frame, seems all the corners of the steel frame are welded, so I may have to grind off the welds and remove the outer side so I can slide out the rotten sheet of plywood and replace it, then reglue the leather covering.
I'm beginning to think that the water is coming up from the road and getting into the door frame and not being able to drain out. Any thoughts?
Roger L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 12:53 PM   #9

Roger- I still think its a top-down process, like budget deficits. Have you checked the window frame seal (I think WRV installs the window in a specified cutout or perhaps even makes the cutout), and the window frame itself?
Also, IIWMI'd demo the interior skin and come up w/a two-piece retrofit before taking the welded door frame apart. It would not surprise me if the interior finish wasn't WRV also as it appears to be the same vinyl that covers the dash and other parts. If so, WRV hada hava way w/out blowing up the door. PTL can probably fill you in on the window & trim status when they shipped doors.

Just to make darn sure you nail the culprit, consider detailing a process of interior panel removal (gotta happen anyway, right?), then w/you inside and your trusted hoser outside, hose down the door (close the door first). You should be able to find where water is getting in and figure out what needs repair to keep it from happening again.
Old 05-31-2010, 02:04 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
As EM mentioned I would find the leak prior to fixing the leak and bad parts. I would also call PTL Engineering first to see which parts they sold WRV and in what configuration. I have not looked at our door, but there are a lot of screws holding the screen door to it, and WRV used electric screwdrivers and stripped out a few of mine, which lends itself to leaking. Maybe a little outdoor silicone 30 year caulk over the ones which have been stripped off. Also, do a search of air leaks (I think) and there are also adjustments which can be made to the door so it seals better to the frame. With all that said, it might be less time expense to see what PTL charges for a new door, and then go from there, unless (the bottom of the door) has some access so the panels can be taken out. Keep us posted on this.