Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2015, 05:24 PM   #1

2007 Alpine Duo-Therm and Suburban Furnace

We just purchased a 2007 Alpine Coach. We are quite happy with it thus far! Our question is this: it has the Dometic DuoTherm AC/Heat Pump. The thermostat control shows these two items, but it does not show "furnace." There IS a suburban furnace in the coach. We have been unable to locate a thermostat or any way to turn on/activate the furnace. Is there a wire missing? Fuse? Has it just not been connected to the Dometic system? Any troubleshooting ideas or help with this is appreciated.

Thanks!
ladytj1754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2015, 05:26 PM   #2
Commercial Member

If you could post a picture of the thermostat, that would help.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
TravellingRVDoctor, LLC
Old 09-18-2015, 05:36 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladytj1754 View Post
We just purchased a 2007 Alpine Coach. We are quite happy with it thus far! Our question is this: it has the Dometic DuoTherm AC/Heat Pump. The thermostat control shows these two items, but it does not show "furnace." There IS a suburban furnace in the coach. We have been unable to locate a thermostat or any way to turn on/activate the furnace. Is there a wire missing? Fuse? Has it just not been connected to the Dometic system? Any troubleshooting ideas or help with this is appreciated.

Thanks!
So as you cycle through the mode button on the thermostat, you only see 'Cool' and 'Heat'? No 'Furnace' option?

This post may be helpful... http://www.irv2.com/forums/f104/1999...ce-229777.html
tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 05:47 PM   #4

Yes, the thermostat only shows "cool" and "heat" no furnace. I'll look at the link provided to see if I can troubleshoot further. If there are any other suggestions, please forward. Thanks!
Old 09-18-2015, 05:57 PM   #5

I have an Alpine Coach but it does not have the heat pump. I did have another motorhome that did have the heat pump. IIRC when you want heat you set the thermostat to the temp you want and the control to "Heat" ....if the furnace is needed to augment the heat pump it will turn on automatically and if it is not needed only the heat pump will function.

Geoff
Old 09-18-2015, 06:36 PM   #6

Picture of the thermostat

Here is a photo of the thermostat in our 2007 Alpine coach. According to the documentation that came with the coach, we should be able to cycle through the modes from "cool" to "Heat" to "furnace". We thought there was no furnace, but checked and there is a Suburban furnace located in the basement of the coach. But "furnace" isn't an option on the mode cycle. I'm wondering if it was never hooked up, or there is a missing fuse, or something...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0274.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	107259  
Old 09-18-2015, 07:35 PM   #7

Furnace is controlled by zone 1 only [zone 1 is the front heat pump of the coach, while zone 2 is the bedroom heat pump]--you dont get a furnace option when you toggle thru the modes while on zone 1????
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 06:21 AM   #8

Reply to Old Scout

Do not see the furnace option on Zone 1. Will check again, though. We are wondering if there is a switch or something that needs to be activated to get the furnace to work. Or maybe a fuse is out. Would that cause the problem? Will have to see if we can figure out the fuse panel.
Old 09-19-2015, 06:29 AM   #9

Any chance the front heat pump was replaced or worked on recently? There are dip-switch settings on each pump [under the shroud, up on the roof] to "program" the relationship between the two pumps, and to control the furnace from the front zone??? There is also a way to reset/restore the default settings on the t-stat. Involves turning off the t-stat, then holding down two of the buttons--mode and zone, or up/down, I think but someone will have to confirm this.....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 06:53 AM   #10
Commercial Member

Here is a link with instructions of this specific problem http://www.sundancecustomrv.com/DuoThermTstat.pdf

Also, a link explaining the system reset procedure http://www.myrvparks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2936

Hope these help.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
TravellingRVDoctor, LLC
Old 09-19-2015, 07:48 AM   #11

Reply to Old Scout

Actually, that may have happened. When I picked up the coach in Salem, OR, they had just re-installed the generator because they said the air conditioner didn't would start and turn off with the generator running. I brought it home to Wyoming and it will go to Colorado Monday to Cummins Coach Care to have that issue looked at. Not sure the problem there. The dash air doesn't work either. These seem to be the only problems with the coach. I just thought there might be some easy fix that had been discussed here. I've sent our application in for membership in the ACA so I'm hoping we can learn more from the group as well. We went from a Tiffin product to this. More bells and whistles with this coach!
Old 09-19-2015, 07:54 AM   #12

Is there documentation that says what the dip switches are to be set at?
Old 09-19-2015, 08:48 AM   #13

Thanks for all the help/suggestions! Setting the zone to "1" and cycling through the modes found the furnace! Too bad there's no documentation indicating this! Oh well, now we know!

Thank you SO much!

Jim and Marilyn
Old 09-19-2015, 08:49 AM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
There is a manual for the thermostat control that you can download from Dometic.
bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, furnace