Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-21-2015, 01:22 PM   #1

2008 34FDDS Hyd cooling fan

Hello , I am trying to get all my filters changed. I have a 2008 34FDDS with the Cummins 425 ISL engine. The hyd reservoir has a sight glass for fluid level but no information as to what kind of fluid is used? There is a number on a decal (67827). Does this mean anything to anyone? There is a filter but it is blank also. No information at all on the filter. The radiator has a tag and appears to be made by AKG Part#3928.001.0000. I bought this coach used and did not recieve any manuals on the unit.

Can anybody help with some information on this system?

Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2015, 10:57 AM   #2

Nobody?

I know there are owners of this coach and surely have had their hyd's serviced.The sight glass on the reservoir shows an amber colored fluid.

Help!!!!

Old 01-23-2015, 07:54 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Hello & Welcome; before I attempt to try and answer your question I would like more information. Where is the hydraulic reservoir located. If it is in the engine compartment which side is it located on. (Drivers or Passenger) and do you know what system it operates?

Is the reservoir located on the passenger side just behind the front wheel. If it is that is the HWH system it is for the slides and jacks. HWH system uses a Dexron Transmission fluid except without the red dye.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 09:37 PM   #4

Hey Dave, Thanks for replying! The reservoir I am concerned about is located in the engine compartment. It is black in color and has a sight glass on the reservoir. The sight glass has an amber colored fluid showing. The reservoir is located on the passenger side. Also there is an access panel behind the battery compartment that when opened will provide access to the HYD filter. This filter appears to be on the return line from the fan drive. The hose looks like 1 1/4". The filter is white in color and is approx 5" in diameter and approx 10" in length. The only info on the filter is a tag with this number 50-10C-2.
Any info you can supply would be greatly appreciated!
Old 01-24-2015, 01:06 AM   #5

I have the same 425 engine and the same hydraulic reservoir. I don't think that filter has ever been changed. I took my filter off and took oil filter place who matched it up to Baldwin BT 389-10, which is a 10 micron.

As far as the oil, WRV used 15-40 engine oil on a lot of those, which is NOT a hydraulic oil. I think some people are still using 15-40.

For me, a better choice was to use a hydraulic oil. I went with a synthetic hydraulic oil.
Cheveron Rando HDZ ISO 46.

Depending how much you can drain out, you would need less than 10 gallons. I have been using this 5 years now.

AKG did make the radiator and coolers, but only supplied the parts to WRV so they would not be able to help you much.
2007 Apex MDTS (425 hp) #75723
2007 Toyota 4-Runner
2014 Ram Laramie 3500
kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 05:26 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
The reservoir is for the Hydraulic operated fan, along with the Power Steering and Hydra Boost brake.

You can also use Hydraulic Fluid, Rycon-46 when you change the fluid. I have no information on the filter.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 07:16 PM   #7

Thanks

Hey Kraig and Dave, Thanks for the info on the hyd oil and filter. Is the hyd fluid you used amber in color? Did you guys drain the whole system before putting the hyd fluid in? Mixing the hyd fluid with the 15-40 motor oil would not be a good thing.
Thanks Again
This is a big help to me!!
Old 01-24-2015, 11:45 PM   #8

I think all Hydraulic fluid except Dextron and engine oil would be amber in color. Engine oil only gets black from internal combustion engine. So if there was 15-40 in the hydraulics, it would still be amber. As far as draining the oil, you can drain the reservoir tank fairly easy, as I remember there is drains on the cooler. You would probably have to loosen a hose fitting. There is no easy way to drain all the oil. To get more out, you would probably have to drain it a couple times. There are long power steering hoses going to the front, that would not drain very good. What you can't get out, different oils would mix.

When I bought mine, it had cooler failure, and when the dealer replaced it, he put in Dextron in a temporary cooler. He shipped me a new one that I replaced myself. That is when I put in the synthetic. After all the times mine has been changed, I still a slight purple tint in the sight glass.
2007 Toyota 4-Runner
2014 Ram Laramie 3500
Old 01-25-2015, 12:49 PM   #9

Another cross reference for filter is NAPA, fluid power filter #1860
Old 02-04-2015, 05:48 PM   #10

More Information

First, thanks for all the information. I was able to find the Hyd filter and got it changed. It is a spin on filter and holds quite a bit of fluid. The sight glass on the side of the tank before filter change was full. After the filter change and engine operation the fluid is in the lower portion of the sight glass. I don't think this is a problem. I am still not sure of the correct fluid that is in the unit. Like some said and the 2008 manual (got a copy off the Alpine Ass. site) states to use the same engine oil for the hydralic tank. After changing the filter and smelling the fluid and comparing it to the smell of the engine oil I don't think I have engine oil in the system. The engine oil was new not used oil to compare the odor.
I have been researching the hydralic fluid for the HWH system as it has a sticker on the tank stating to use Chevron Rykon Premium mv oil. Trying to find this oil was a problem. I called Chevron and they have renamed the oil. It is now Chevron Rando HD Premium mv. I have found this oil available locally in a 5 gal container.
I would like to use this oil (fluid) in both systems for simplicity. The HWH system has a reservoir with a good level and I really don't see where I would use 5 gallons for it unless bad leaks happen.
Has anyone used this oil (fluid) for both systems and if this is not the oil I have in the hydralic system should I have concerns about mixing it with existing oil? I think it would probably be impossible to remove all of the existing oil from the system and refilling.

Thanks
Old 03-01-2015, 03:56 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
Dave, I believe there are 3 Nelson Filters located in the tank and are stacked one one top of the other.
However I have never seen the fan move and my coach never overheats except if I go too fast on a steep grade . How do you know if the cooling system is operating correctly?
Joe
jdarling10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 01:28 AM   #12

Like Dave said all HWH systems on Alpines use Dextron without the red dye. You can use the red dye dexron no problem. Whatever the other sticker is on your tank is not correct. I don't know what type of tank you have but you do not fill it to the top.

As far as the hyd oil Chevron Rando is the correct oil if you want synthetic. The smallest size would be 5 gallons. If it were mine I would at least drain the reservoir tank and oils do mix ok. Even when changed mine out 5 years ago I couldn't get all the oil out and I refilled with Rando, and I had no problems.

2007 Toyota 4-Runner
2014 Ram Laramie 3500

Tags
cooling, fan