Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2011, 12:19 PM   #15

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsleeper View Post
Ok....here goes! I own a 2007 Coachman Aurora FWS....have been around the country twice...love the lifetstyle.

Today, I found the coach of my dreams.....2008 Alpine Limited SE. After reading everything I could on the internet today....please let me know if this is a good deal. I am a single woman, and would hate to think I have been "swindled".....if you know what I mean.

This coach has been sitting on the lot since 2008.....sticker is high retail, $363,367. They offered me $150,000 for my coach ( seems very high, so I'm not sure what they're trying to pull)....then with about $10,000 down, I should be able to go to the bank for $180,000 includes taxes.

Does anything seem wrong with this deal?? I would really appreciate your advice . How should I approach this dealer (FL)....he really needs to get rid of this unit..........I feel if I said just the right thing he would go for it.....

The $190K you are thinking about putting in out of pocket is in the right ball park (plus or minus 5-10%) WITHOUT your trade. But that would be an all cash deal. Then sell your 2007 Coachman put the money in your RV fund (for extended warranty, future maintenance/repairs, and travel). This dealer is basically giving next to nothing for your trade.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2011, 12:51 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
2008 Alpine Coach M-40FDQS CUMMINS 425HP - 40' Standard Equipment, Prices & Specs - NADAguides - Here is the quote I just ran, yep, it's priced about correct on the low retail side, and you don't trade in your coach, you sell it privately. Then as suggested put the money in the bank for those repairs you will want/need. You can PM me and I will provide you with my e-mail address send you a list of things you need to have checked and fixed.

I would arrange financing ahead of the deal, as credit unions would give you more favoarable terms, banks are relectant to loan money on RV's when the parent company is out of business. If you use the dealers financing he gets a kickback for writing the deal, and you are paying for that as well.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 05:16 PM   #17

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mythplaced View Post
06 40' Alpine Apex Diesel Pusher 4SLDS 400HP 21,698 Mi - eBay (item 110686634306 end time May-16-11 12:41:16 PDT)

I'll wager a cold one that this beautiful coach does not bid over $110K (my first thought was $100 but I went up a bit) , and that it will not meet reserve.....

What I mean to say is that the seller wants $110+ and buyers just will not go that high in todays market....

I have researched EVERY e-bay Alpine auction for the last 5 years (bought mine on ebay in March 09)....And that is my prediction.
Bid to $80,100 and did not meet reserve.....

I love to be right!

I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, and I'm tellin ya, you can buy and sell these things from the owners all day for $90-110...REGARDLESS of what NADAdamnthing tells you....Now Stealerships are another story....

$180 K Are you folks on the same crack as the stealerships?????
Give me $180K and I'll find you a beautiful Alpine with a 7 year no co-pay warranty and pocket $60K for myself....

Here is another example...SOLD for $97K

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/05-Al...item3cb7bfa520
Values:
MSRP New $292,704 NADA Retail $140,940
Local Advertised Price $130,000
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 07:21 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Mike- yes you can, delaerships however have overhead to meet, and that raises the price. Not promoting that method over any other method, and we know we paid 50K more for our coach in 08 than we should have now, and we should have done better homework (did not know about this forum then).
I believe we have filled in the blanks to the person who asked the original question, that don't buy from that dealer, at that price. Dont trade in her coach on it, sell it privately, and pay cash for the new one, not financing throiugh the dealers either since they get paid on all three ends of the deal if she does it the way it was described.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:18 PM   #19

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I hear ya Monty

It just ruffles my feathers when I see people believe that NADAdamthing actually represents what they can buy or sell for..

And it burns my biscuits when I hear tales of folks that paid RETAIL.. Yea don't get me started on this one...I know a gal that paid $35K CDN for a flippin MAZDA..

I just think of how much good that extra cash could do in the pocket of the owner, rather than in the hands of a greedy stealership...In many cases could feed a family for 5 years!
Old 05-17-2011, 08:37 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
MP - when I went to RV Repair school, the business was associated with a used car facility, as the fellow owned both things but they were separate. He told us in no uncertain words how the used RV/Car market works. Since she only has the information of what the dealer wants for the rig, she has no idea of what the unit is worth, nor what hers is worth, and she needs that data so she knows if they are taking advantage of her. This forum group is trying to tell her she is being taken. So if she "books the unit", then she knows what high retail is (read pipe dream) and low book is, and the dealer paid 30% below low book and most likely less for it if he bought it at auction. If its "new", then he might have a lot more in it than what it's worth, he might owe on it, but we are trying to save this lady some money. She can then approach the dealer with the figures on what she wants to pay, what she expects in trade, and if they can work a deal, good, if not, at least she has not overpaid for the new one, and has an idea what the one she has is worth. But studies have shown that woman and men are treated differently at car dealerships and I’m sure RV dealerships are worse. I hoped we have helped her. And I am doubly pleased she came here first since there is no place else where the rubber meets the road concerning alpines period.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:16 PM   #21

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renipladlo View Post
and the dealer paid 30% below low book and most likely less for it if he bought it at auction. If its "new", then he might have a lot more in it than what it's worth, he might owe on it, ........studies have shown that woman and men are treated differently at car dealerships and I’m sure RV dealerships are worse. I hoped we have helped her.

And I am doubly pleased she came here first since there is no place else where the rubber meets the road concerning alpines period.
Exactly what cooks my grits ....seeing people being taken advantage of!
Old 05-21-2011, 06:23 PM   #22

nsleeper Coincidentally I was recently speaking with a Fl dealer rep. I questioned how they dealt with defects, problems, etc which have arisen. The response was that they use a "used car contract" Is it legal to use a used car sales contract with a vehicle that has never previously been sold & or titled? I do not have access to current versions of either, so I can't compare wording. However, it must be to the dealers advantage if it i their choice. Since most RV componants , to my knowledge, have warrnties applicable to only the Original Owner, it seems the use of a Used Vehical sales contract could and probably would void any componant warranties. If you are not adequately familiar with the problems which have arisen, I can probably send you a list of the thread Titles to ease your search. Waterdog
Waterdog4315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 08:31 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Concerning older "New" RV's, many manufacturers of the components have exclusions to their warranty, for instance, aqua hot, says, two years from date of purchase by the original owner. A used contract would most likely void that feature. I believe there is a maximum amount of time from its build date for the AQ, in my personal case it was 3 years from the date of manufacturer, so when the mixing valve finely got fixed, the warranty had expired, so it may have no warranty. So the 08 was most likely made in 07 (date of manufacturer) so my guess is there is no component warranties left. The RV industry collapsed back in 07/8, dealers out of business, vehicles changing hands from dealer to dealer, no clear ownership record, might be one reason the used contract is being used. I would not accept the used purchase agreement, but understand since the purchaser does not have an component warranties on anything, the dealer better throw in an extended warranty from a company which has a good track record-Right!!!!!
Old 05-22-2011, 12:14 AM   #24

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterdog4315 View Post
nsleeper Coincidentally I was recently speaking with a Fl dealer rep. I questioned how they dealt with defects, problems, etc which have arisen. The response was that they use a "used car contract" Is it legal to use a used car sales contract with a vehicle that has never previously been sold & or titled? I do not have access to current versions of either, so I can't compare wording. However, it must be to the dealers advantage if it i their choice. Since most RV componants , to my knowledge, have warrnties applicable to only the Original Owner, it seems the use of a Used Vehical sales contract could and probably would void any componant warranties. If you are not adequately familiar with the problems which have arisen, I can probably send you a list of the thread Titles to ease your search. Waterdog
The dealer can't expand a component warranty and I don't see how a dealer could "void" any remaining component warranty simply by using the used car forms that the FTC has created. The dealer can certainly disclaim any warranty flowing through the dealer and disclaim whether any component warranties are still in effect. The component manufacturer is not going to see your sales contract with the dealer anyway so how it would it know what a dealer did/did not say in its contract? I think you would also be the first to title the RV because dealers seldom title inventory to avoid a convoluted chain of title from trades, dealer auctions, etc and to avoid having to register the vehicles and pay those fees! A "new" MH sitting on a lot for a couple years is likely going to be registered for the first time by the consumer. If a warranty is tied to the original title holder/first purchaser, it should still be valid. But, I know many warranties are tied to date of manufacturer, not "first" use, and the serial number/date of manufacturer on the particular component will likely govern and for a 2008 model, probably has expired on everything but the Cummins engine.

I think everyone agrees that buying a 2008 model that has not been used at all is actually more problematic than buying a used 2008 from someone who has broken in their MH and worked out the issues and kept the vehicles moving parts lubed. Consequently, as much as I hate those things, a comprehensive extended service contract is probably needed.
Old 05-30-2011, 12:38 PM   #25

Hi,
We purchased a NEW 2008 low roof mid door entry Alpine from a dealer who was selling it for Bank of America (who had the flooring on it and the dealer went bust) with a MSRP of $398,500.00 for $162,000.00 with no trade. If a dealer still has a new 2008 Alpine I believe he would be very open to a much lower offer. We bought ours in May 2009, so I would think the deal might be better now as they probably just want it to go away so they are not paying flooring. I would look some more if it were me, but the last new ones I heard about were in North Caralina.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:39 PM   #26

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
There is a New 2007 40FDQS at RV america in Loveland, CO

Loveland, CO RV Dealership: Sales, Service & Rentals of Motorhomes, Travel Trailers & More
Old 05-30-2011, 09:53 PM   #27

Entegra Owners Club
I thought all the 2007's had a one piece windshield.
RogerBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 12:13 AM   #28

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mythplaced View Post
Ouch! They still want to negotiate from $316? That's NUTS!!!!!!