Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-20-2007, 10:51 AM   #15

Alpine Owners Club
Mike,

2 of the fans are the "quiet" ones listed on an other post. One is a "smart case fan 2" by Thermaltake bought at Frys, it has a variable or temp controlled speed functions. I will see how each works. I do plan to have the fan over the satellite receiver operated on a thermostat due to my system being powered up all of the time and that area getting very hot. Unrelated but I have changed the receiver to a DVR unit. I have opened the area above the receiver for more air flow and have an opening to the right of the new tank gages to use for more air for now. I plan to make a new board for that side later when I figure out just how I want it to be.

My main purpose of the ducts was originally just to get the hot air out of the top of the cabinets. I then realized that the fans blow better and would be quieter up top. The stock system only loops air around in the lower part of the cabinets and the hot air exhausts into a pocket in the same area as the intake air. I hope to eliminate most of that by blowing out air away from the areas of intake.

WRV uses the fans as they are for defrost. I have never needed this function in my old coach even with lots of coastal use. The dash defroster seemed to work fine for me. If I find I need it now I will just add 2 fans to the drivers side. I am not that sure that the stock set up would be that effective anyhow with the sun shade in front of the fans.

Dale

Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2007, 01:37 PM   #16

Mike,

I bought the $40/apiece fans on the other post from the individual in northern California and they are so quiet neither my wife or I can hear them, and the factory ones made a lot of noise. I have taken the black panels off twice on side and once on the other to make sure they're running because they're so quiet, and find out they are--so they might cost, but they sure are quiet.

OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 09:56 PM   #17

Mike
Are you happy with your new 2008, Any suggestions for me as I am thinking of ordering a new one from Ron(of course).
Old 11-02-2007, 08:21 PM   #18

Luv the new coach. The increased storage has me wondering what I need to buy to fill all the space, and the SmartBeds are worth their weight in, well, they're pretty heavy but dramatically utile.

I have an appointment on the 9th to get what amounts to a recall kit installed on the hydraulic cooling system, but that issue would be resolved in the initial build for any coaches ordered recently and in the future.

If you are ordering a coach that doesn't have the right hand living room slide, I'd specify a low-angle awning IIWY. Ours came w/a high angle awning (the high angle avoids the top of the RH slide) which was either a mistake or something done to simplify inventory. But the high angle unit ins't necessary if you don't have the RH slide, and it doesn't shield low angle sun which is important if you hang out where it gets hot which we do.

Also, If you or any significant other's you may pack around are, lets say vertically challenged, you may also want to order the coach w/the new remote controlled fantastic fans or another equivalent brand. My wife can't reach the controls on the exhaust fans due to the higher ceiling, so every so occasionally she needs me (which is always appreciated, but not always entirely convenient). And while on the subject, the toilet room fan should be specified as a fantastic type fan also, instead of the 49 Chinese noise maker unit that comes standard.

Other than that, many of the 07 & 08 changes have eliminated practicaly all the "If I was in charge, this is how I'd do it" kind of gripes I had about the 06 designs, w/the exception of the entertainment system fans as an example. I have no more good ideas to add, perhaps because I have no more ideas period
Old 11-03-2007, 07:26 AM   #19

Alpine Owners Club
Mike,

I am still working on the fans, here is what I am doing now.
As I mentioned in a previous post I wanted to change the air flow to the proper direction, UP and eliminate the recirculation problem. I started with two Thermaltake A1357 80mm Case Fans I got from Newegg.com, these have a variable speed function. At lowest speed they are very quiet. I mounted them to blow in instead of out. I sealed the old air intakes that were in the windshield area. I made some openings in the black panels above the satellite receiver and the DVD/amp and moved TV down just slightly to make sure I had a decent opening for air flow above the TV. I used thicker silicon bumpers on the cabinet doors to hold them open slightly, it is not noticeable. My system now pulls cooler air in from the lower area by the windshield and exhaust the hot air out of the top of the cabinets, through the openings in the front panels I made, to the highest area in the coach. I found that due to the low air flow with the fans on the lowest speed that the two fans were not enough and am adding two more. I have the fans on the passenger side of the coach on a separate switch so that I can run them on warm days to keep the satellite receiver cool, as my inverter is on all of the time. I plan to replace the switch with a thermostat. The only problem with this system that I can see so far is that you lose the "defrost" function of the fans. This is not a problem for me as I have never needed this function.

What kind of mileage are you getting with the new low emissions engine?

Dale
Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 09:05 PM   #20

Actia gauge reports 8.9 over 1.6K miles (don't have silverleaf (yet)).
So it must be busted. I got 7.9 over 10K w/the 06 coach and never pulled a toad. Half the above mileage on the 08 is pulling a 4000# toad. I might have been averaging a few mph less on the highway w/the new coach tho, so I'm keeping my gizmos crossed for good luck.
I saw differences tween the Actia & silverleaf on the 06 for instantaneous fuel usage, but never checked cumulative. I bought the Cummins software & connector kit for the 08 (actually it covers all years) so after I get a new laptop & install the software I'll check the ECM and see what's stored on the "hard drive" and if it is different than Actia.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:44 AM   #21

It seems like a lot of effort is being exerted to cool down the media section. In production, would it be possible to use the compartment above and behind the passenger for components that generate so much heat? Both the TV and the sun generate heat in the front. I have seen other manufacturers use side compartments for media items. Not only would it be easier to cool but might be easier to work on. I know that it could not be done on models with right front slides.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:49 PM   #22

You could shift components to the side cabinets, but...
you'd have multiple configurations for parts, cabinets, cabling, etc., that would complificate inventory and assembly. The entertainment system execution is already a constantly moving target where it is, so I'm pretty sure WRV would be leary of adding new variables on top of what, pound for pound and dollar for dollar is probably their biggest headache. I was told some time back their biggest customer service call volume is from entertainment systems, and told recently they can't go 3 months w/out some component being obsoleted by its manufacturer.