Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-14-2007, 08:29 PM   #1

Left Camp WRV yesterday afternoon after a week of PDI w/Izzy, his crew, and a couple assists from manufacturing.

The new coach drives, well, its an Alpine. It drives sweet. The Goodyear tires are substantially quieter than the Toyos we had on the 06.
Ron Doyle happened by yesterday and asked how I liked SmartBeds. I told him they are a stroke of genius. The utility of storage w/the SB's is dramatic. IMO SB's can only be equalled, not exceeded, by any system at any price point up into the multi-megabuck coaches. A coach w/pantograph storage doors and high quality storage beds will approximate the storage utility of SB's, though IIRC a friend's pantograph doors for a Monaco Dynasty were a $15,000 option (no storage beds in that option, just doors). And you can't use pantograph doors below a slideout. The only higher utility feature of any other storage system I've seen is the either-way-slide of some of the better storage trays, though the frame height then becomes a two-way restriction so efficiency of available storage drops. I find I'm in and out of storage drawers more frequently than in the 06, and with practically no back ache (I haven't lifted the Segway out yet, so the chiropractors aren't entirely out of business).

The Karadon countertop fit is not as good. Countertop pieces are ordered and finished turnkey from a Canadian outfit, rather than finished @ WRV. There are minor misfits of the stove covers, and the finish polish was weak in more than one place. Izzy's crew polished the whole up just fine.

Floor tile setting is excellent but grout work is sloppy. Grout is premixed, which has more shrinkage so more cracks that need repair, which Izzy attended to readily.

The exterior trim piece that indicates floor line (a half-oval aluminum extrusion that has been used for several years) comes in about 5 pieces for the DS (front piece, front slide ram cover, middle, rear slide ram cover, rear piece, and there may be one more). For some reason the alignement of the DS pieces is erratic from the factory. With some insistence by me the CPU crew addressed this, but it took several discussions.

The new radiator design works spectacularly. Tranny runs flatline at 160 up hill & down dale; engine runs 5-15 degrees cooler than our 06, never over 190 so far, never under about 180 per the Actia gauge (all our junk in the coach & towing 4000#).

Adjustable pedals are somewhat different than the 06 and seem to have a more comfortable adjustment range, tho that could be the drivers chair or a combo of the two. Fuel pedal pressure is heavier; if that is adjustable I will dial it down.

I talked for a bit w/Dave Frampton, head of engineering, about the entertainment center. Because of manufacturers changing or obsoleting one or more components, the collection of devices changes and the cabinetry design morphs accordingly every 3 months or more frequently. Certainly the amount of design/mfg'rg trouble associated w/this feature is way out of proportion w/practically everything else in the coach. The Dell TV in our unit is already obsolete (and a certain sweetie of mine says it is a lousy TV).
The new cabling setup places an A/B switch between the cable and antenna inputs, and runs the A/B output to one input of the TV and the satellite to another. That eliminates a comprehensive on-screen guide of all stations as we had in the 06 which was kind of nice even tho the schedule was not shown.
The TV cooling fans are the cheapest known to mankind, so you have to turn the TV up a third of the way just to hear it over the fan noise; Izzy's word was that they have no alternative so take it up w/mangement. In the feedback survey I noted that selling multi-thousand dollar audio-visual setups that have to compete w/noisy toy fans isn't comensurate w/the trim level of coach being offered.

The closet slide came obviously maladjusted (everybody @ CampWRV commented on it). Izzy didn't want to fix that, but after several discussions did.

The 07+ holding tank designs are much improved over our old tanks and there is good access to the electric dump valves for manual operation in case of failure. The tank sensors however, are not placed proportionally for tank contents so the 1st 25% of the black tank is used up w/the few gallons of fresh water I put in for dilution of initial contents. The new setup makes adding a macerator on the PS of coach and eliminating about 9 feet of 4" pipe (and generating a nice 8 foot storage slot for a folding ladder) child's play; I mentioned to Dave Frampton they should start offering a macerator option in this location starting three days ago so call & see if they have it priced out. The sewer hose fitting is too low to avoid struggling w/attaching the hose (hose elbow interferes w/the side of opening below); this could be fixed w/a better design for the hose exit which is now "closed" by large plastic whiskers across a square shaped cutout (i.e. not actually a closure at all so it breathes while under way). Otherwise the utility bay is nicely redesigned from the 06 (I think 07 owners benefit from this also). Trailer plug comes wired backwards from the diagram supplied by WRV (diagram is wrong), and if you are checking out a plug on a Vansco chassis- do it w/the key ON as there is ground indicated on the center contact that disappears when the Vansco kicks on.

The cord reel is manual out, motored in, and works great. The shower valve works so well it is worth the entire price of a new coach!!! (OK, that's a teeny bit of an exageration; just seeing if you are paying attention there.)

The roof ladder is by a new mfgr vs. the 06 ladder. Despite special mention of the increased roof height to the service manager, and a specific request to take that into account when ordering a ladder so the bottom rung wouldn't be too high (I asked to measure the bottom rung on our 06 and order accordingly), it is all I can do to step up to the bottom rung w/the air dumped. W/the chassis inflated I can't get onto the ladder unless I pull out Ann's small exercise trampoline, carefully place it, then take a running start and...

AquaHot installation is nicely quieter than the HHot from 06, as is the SureFlo water pump tho why the pump I don't know as I think its the same model. The cheapo Atwood stove is noisier down the road w/out padding the racks for travel; we are looking for an upgrade. The new ice/crushed-ice-thru-the-door Dometic fridge is stuck on crushed ice mode regardless of setting. The AquaHot appears to be WRV's credit; the others are credited to component manufacturers.

There is about 50% more storage volume in cabinets over the couch, above dining table & recliner, and above the headboard due to the increased hearoom. The cantilever dining table is a great improvement over the leg table. The console drawer is gone, leaving more foot room @ entry, and without loss of utility IMO. The driver's cup holder is pretty flimsy, but the rest is servicable and easily reached while driving (maybe I'll get a coupla spares for when, not if, they get kicked getting in/out of coach?).

Overall, the improvements are substantial, and there is more value in this coach than in our 06 by a large margin. And did I mention it drives <span class="ev_code_RED">sweet</span> and that <span class="ev_code_RED">SmartBeds ROCK</span>?

That's all I can remember for now.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2007, 08:29 PM   #2

Left Camp WRV yesterday afternoon after a week of PDI w/Izzy, his crew, and a couple assists from manufacturing.

The new coach drives, well, its an Alpine. It drives sweet. The Goodyear tires are substantially quieter than the Toyos we had on the 06.
Ron Doyle happened by yesterday and asked how I liked SmartBeds. I told him they are a stroke of genius. The utility of storage w/the SB's is dramatic. IMO SB's can only be equalled, not exceeded, by any system at any price point up into the multi-megabuck coaches. A coach w/pantograph storage doors and high quality storage beds will approximate the storage utility of SB's, though IIRC a friend's pantograph doors for a Monaco Dynasty were a $15,000 option (no storage beds in that option, just doors). And you can't use pantograph doors below a slideout. The only higher utility feature of any other storage system I've seen is the either-way-slide of some of the better storage trays, though the frame height then becomes a two-way restriction so efficiency of available storage drops. I find I'm in and out of storage drawers more frequently than in the 06, and with practically no back ache (I haven't lifted the Segway out yet, so the chiropractors aren't entirely out of business).

The Karadon countertop fit is not as good. Countertop pieces are ordered and finished turnkey from a Canadian outfit, rather than finished @ WRV. There are minor misfits of the stove covers, and the finish polish was weak in more than one place. Izzy's crew polished the whole up just fine.

Floor tile setting is excellent but grout work is sloppy. Grout is premixed, which has more shrinkage so more cracks that need repair, which Izzy attended to readily.

The exterior trim piece that indicates floor line (a half-oval aluminum extrusion that has been used for several years) comes in about 5 pieces for the DS (front piece, front slide ram cover, middle, rear slide ram cover, rear piece, and there may be one more). For some reason the alignement of the DS pieces is erratic from the factory. With some insistence by me the CPU crew addressed this, but it took several discussions.

The new radiator design works spectacularly. Tranny runs flatline at 160 up hill & down dale; engine runs 5-15 degrees cooler than our 06, never over 190 so far, never under about 180 per the Actia gauge (all our junk in the coach & towing 4000#).

Adjustable pedals are somewhat different than the 06 and seem to have a more comfortable adjustment range, tho that could be the drivers chair or a combo of the two. Fuel pedal pressure is heavier; if that is adjustable I will dial it down.

I talked for a bit w/Dave Frampton, head of engineering, about the entertainment center. Because of manufacturers changing or obsoleting one or more components, the collection of devices changes and the cabinetry design morphs accordingly every 3 months or more frequently. Certainly the amount of design/mfg'rg trouble associated w/this feature is way out of proportion w/practically everything else in the coach. The Dell TV in our unit is already obsolete (and a certain sweetie of mine says it is a lousy TV).
The new cabling setup places an A/B switch between the cable and antenna inputs, and runs the A/B output to one input of the TV and the satellite to another. That eliminates a comprehensive on-screen guide of all stations as we had in the 06 which was kind of nice even tho the schedule was not shown.
The TV cooling fans are the cheapest known to mankind, so you have to turn the TV up a third of the way just to hear it over the fan noise; Izzy's word was that they have no alternative so take it up w/mangement. In the feedback survey I noted that selling multi-thousand dollar audio-visual setups that have to compete w/noisy toy fans isn't comensurate w/the trim level of coach being offered.

The closet slide came obviously maladjusted (everybody @ CampWRV commented on it). Izzy didn't want to fix that, but after several discussions did.

The 07+ holding tank designs are much improved over our old tanks and there is good access to the electric dump valves for manual operation in case of failure. The tank sensors however, are not placed proportionally for tank contents so the 1st 25% of the black tank is used up w/the few gallons of fresh water I put in for dilution of initial contents. The new setup makes adding a macerator on the PS of coach and eliminating about 9 feet of 4" pipe (and generating a nice 8 foot storage slot for a folding ladder) child's play; I mentioned to Dave Frampton they should start offering a macerator option in this location starting three days ago so call & see if they have it priced out. The sewer hose fitting is too low to avoid struggling w/attaching the hose (hose elbow interferes w/the side of opening below); this could be fixed w/a better design for the hose exit which is now "closed" by large plastic whiskers across a square shaped cutout (i.e. not actually a closure at all so it breathes while under way). Otherwise the utility bay is nicely redesigned from the 06 (I think 07 owners benefit from this also). Trailer plug comes wired backwards from the diagram supplied by WRV (diagram is wrong), and if you are checking out a plug on a Vansco chassis- do it w/the key ON as there is ground indicated on the center contact that disappears when the Vansco kicks on.

The cord reel is manual out, motored in, and works great. The shower valve works so well it is worth the entire price of a new coach!!! (OK, that's a teeny bit of an exageration; just seeing if you are paying attention there.)

The roof ladder is by a new mfgr vs. the 06 ladder. Despite special mention of the increased roof height to the service manager, and a specific request to take that into account when ordering a ladder so the bottom rung wouldn't be too high (I asked to measure the bottom rung on our 06 and order accordingly), it is all I can do to step up to the bottom rung w/the air dumped. W/the chassis inflated I can't get onto the ladder unless I pull out Ann's small exercise trampoline, carefully place it, then take a running start and...

AquaHot installation is nicely quieter than the HHot from 06, as is the SureFlo water pump tho why the pump I don't know as I think its the same model. The cheapo Atwood stove is noisier down the road w/out padding the racks for travel; we are looking for an upgrade. The new ice/crushed-ice-thru-the-door Dometic fridge is stuck on crushed ice mode regardless of setting. The AquaHot appears to be WRV's credit; the others are credited to component manufacturers.

There is about 50% more storage volume in cabinets over the couch, above dining table & recliner, and above the headboard due to the increased hearoom. The cantilever dining table is a great improvement over the leg table. The console drawer is gone, leaving more foot room @ entry, and without loss of utility IMO. The driver's cup holder is pretty flimsy, but the rest is servicable and easily reached while driving (maybe I'll get a coupla spares for when, not if, they get kicked getting in/out of coach?).

Overall, the improvements are substantial, and there is more value in this coach than in our 06 by a large margin. And did I mention it drives <span class="ev_code_RED">sweet</span> and that <span class="ev_code_RED">SmartBeds ROCK</span>?

That's all I can remember for now.

Old 09-14-2007, 10:43 PM   #3

AND the debugging begins

Congrats Mike, I am sure you will love it as much as we do our 07, just watch those smart beds vs room slides. At the Newport rally I noted that several of us with Smart Beds have had minor collisions between the room slide and smart bed. I now routinely check clearance between the smart bed and the room slide before extending the smart bed out past the room slide ram cover
hrhuggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 11:07 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
WOW! Sounds great!

Now... Let the mods begin!

You know you're gonna'.
Old 09-15-2007, 08:32 AM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Whew, Mike! Is that all you could remember????

Where were you when we needed folks for our Focus Group? You bought just a little too late. Great observations, and the conversations you had with WRV folks will further help the Focus Group efforts. Thanks!!
gjstacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 09:54 AM   #6

Do you think if the GY tires are better than the Toyos? I'm getting ready to replace tires on my 04 and haven't decided whether to go with GY or Toyos. Other than being quieter are they an upgrade or the same quality?
Old 09-15-2007, 03:51 PM   #7

The GY's have about 1000# more weight capacity per tire than the Toyos. I had heard from a friend he experienced much less road noise telegraphed from the GY's than whatever he had on his Monaco from the factory, and can now confirm that.
While @ Camp I heard 2 things about tires (YMMV):
1) road noise characeristic is much related to tread design, &
2) Bridgestone tires experience many less carcass failures than other brands.
Maybe Basil Shannon can elaborate.

All I know for sure is that the 06 had a metallic feedback from concrete road or rough asphalt, and the 08 on the GY's doesn't.

Gail- I was probably climbing over, under and around inside an 08FDDS while calculating the loss of earning power of a big wad of sweaty money.
Old 09-15-2007, 06:16 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
E-Mike,

During the time you were at Camp WRV, was there any discussion or comments from WRV staff regarding the non-merger with Pilgrim Trailers? Seems to me that WRV would be changing their bussiness plan. Is the plan to move the service department to the newly leased building tied in to the merger not happening? Anyone at Camp WRV the last couple of weeks have any comments?

Thanks for the news.
Old 09-15-2007, 06:54 PM   #9

Engineer Mike:
You are by far the smartest most well read Alpine owner on this site. I have really enjoyed reading your posts over the last few years.
We have been waiting patiently for WRV to come up with a longer more sophisticated coach with tag axles. Unfortunatley it never happened.

With all ofWRV's problems we knew it was going to be a while..........
So we did the SOB thing. We just bought an 05 Holiday Rambler Navigator 43ft quad slide with a Detroit Diesel 60 series engine and air disc brakes and so much more. This coach is a big step up, way more complicated and lots of goodies.

We really enjoyed being part of this forum. But time to move on. Best luck to everyone.
and good bye...........
Old 09-16-2007, 08:35 AM   #10

Location: Summer Rowlett TX (Why?)/Winter Palm Springs CA Two Springs RV Resort http://www.twospringsrv.com/
Greetings from the banks of the Columbia, downriver from Portland,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Anyone at Camp WRV the last couple of weeks have any comments? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here are my observationa and scuttlebutt from our 3 weeks at Camp WRV:

THE NEW BUILDING
The former Ace Hardware distribution building that will consolidate all WRV operations (service last) is HUGE!!!!! One of the guys did a very rough measurement with the odometer on his car.1/10 mile wide by 3/10 mile long. You do the math. The parts and cabinet departments are already on site. I understand that they are trying to buy the lot next door for the new Camp WRV.

THE SERVICE CENTER
I personally think the Service Center is greatly improved but still has a way to go. Last year when when we were there, the angry mob
out front was building ladders to scale the walls and burn the place down. It got so bad that Sue cooked french dip sandwiches and arranged a get-togather to help defuse the situation.

Their new painter does a great job and will save them a lot of money by doing it right the first time. Our coach came out looking good with no overspray.

The parts process needs a drastic overhall. Hearing "on order" day after day does not cut it. The length of stay for each customer would be reduced if the parts were ordered and received in a more timely manner. "UPS will have the part here on Tuesday" would make the customer happy. Some parts for my coach were not received before we absolutely had to leave and will have to be shipped to Arizona and installed by others at added expense to WRV.

Quality Control
The company emphasis is currently being placed on production to improve the process and QUALITY. Every problem eliminated there means one less to be fixed in service for a very unhappy customer.

I am greatly encouraged about the future of WRV. If they had gone out of business, we owners would have been in a world of hurt!

We will get our Flexsteel seats restuffed tomorrow and will head for Moab and Albuquerque. See you there.
Basil Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 10:15 AM   #11

re: Pilgrim- We arrived at Camp to the news of Pilgrim falling out of bed. Somewhat of a shock given the enormous presence of Pilgrim @ Newport & Redmond FMCA (Chairman/CEO of Pilgrim at Redmond, other big wheels also); at both rallies both parties represented the merger as a done deal. The ACE Hardware bldg lease apparently happened somewhat as a result of the planned merger- lease came available & was greeted by several interested parties. WRV signed up so as not to let the bldg get away, expecting from the merger to begin assembly of Pilgrim product in Yakima, giving Pilgrim advantage of shipping cost for west coast customers. Whatever sunk the deal, the Big Bldg is now part of WRV's future and until further notice Pilgrim isn't.

The Service Dept will move to the BB after manufacturing. Right now they are across a street from each other. In the past there was somewhat of a firewall between the two, mostly I think so that "production" would not be robbed of parts & manpower to facilitate service. The underlying problems w/that, as many have experienced, are that production doesn't learn the QC lessons cropping up in service, and actual real live customers (i.e. emmisaries of good or not so good will) in service can't get parts (see Basil's post above) they believe to be on site somewhere. Richard Fish is moving to dismantle the firewall (my coach went to the chassis shop on an immediate call basis to fix the jake brake, later two R&D fellas worked on air conditioning noise issues in the PDI service bay, w/oversight from head of engineering Dave Frampton; I had visits from Dave to assure that all was going well & issues were being resolved satisfactorily). Our recent exerience was a signifigant departure from picking up our 06- then we got to speak to & receive service directly from essentially nobody from production except as their production shedule allowed or as our frustration level became, shall we say "apparent."

With all aspects under one roof, and with the focus on initial quality, I expect to see WRV's PDI issues drop significantly, so that focus can settle mostly on vendor component PDI issues where they realistically belong.

As to WRV's "business plan," coupla thoughts.
First, the Pilgrim merger attempt looks to me quite a bit like the Bob Lee "merger," i.e. looking to ally with significant players in the overall industry, whose resources make for market advantages. As a small volume manufacturer, WRV (both coaches & 5ers) would benefit greatly from wider dealer network & therefore service network. The types of alliances Monomoy has sought look smart to me if they can be had on reasonable terms (don't know who was reasonable or otherwise in the Pilgrim deal so I won't speculate; Lee left for obvious reasons of familial pride, the timing of which had nothing to do w/WRV). Personally I hope the focus of great alliances continues where it may bear fruit for customers.
Second, there is obvious "business plan" attention to process improvement along the breadth of activities @ WRV, most of which are not the hatchet job/financial engineering/company flipping sort (not that I don't expect Monomoy to flip out of WRV at some point). So the attention is on the kind of stuff customers want- higher initial quality, more comfortable service options, wider dealer network- hopefully leading to a more profitable company which is good for all of us. Personally I'd rather see 100% of my money over hard cost of the &lt;coach + customer interface&gt; go to WRV's bottom line, since profitable companies usually run better for customers than marginal ones, and I would rather never spend a day in service that can be avoided.

So my assessment after the Pilgrim stumble is unchanged from when we bet big on WRV's future, taking on the new 08 coach. I looked then at the Pilgrim deal being the next logical alliance attempt post Lee. I'm sorry Pilgrim didn't come on board, but beleive the basic direction of WRV is sound, and their products remain superior. Coach operated flawlessly from Yakima to Idaho, to Sparks NV. We're in Auburn for a coupla days w/out coach, but have to get back to Sparks w/the Vespa for Thunder in the Streets where I'll provide comic relief for the Harley crowd this weekend
Old 09-18-2007, 10:00 PM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
EM,

Would that be the Vespa with the twist grip shift?

Regarding tires, IIRC the Toyos are a smaller size that the Goodyears. The bigger Goodyear envelope allows a higher load capacity than the Toyos.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:38 PM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
Mike,

Here is what I am trying to make the cooling and noise situation better.

One fan on upper left blowing small amount of heat from sound system into center.

One fan near roof behind TV ducted down to center/right vent hole.

One fan near roof blowing from satellite receiver (lots of heat) ducted to far right vent hole.

I hope that noise will be reduced by quieter fans located inside cabinet. Heat will be reduced by getting heat out of top of the cabinet and exhausted to the right side where there is more room for the air to exhaust. The windshield sun shades are very close on the drivers side and have more room between them and the vents on the right. I am restricting the return air on the right intake grill, making some openings in the front on the right side and keeping all holes in the left side open. This should create a cross flow to produce less recirculation of the hot exhaust air than the stock system. I hope to have the new TV brackets here tomorrow so that can reinstall the TV and take a road test. I will report back.

I have done some major improvements to my Aqua-hot system that I will post soon.

Dale
Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 10:20 AM   #14

Tom- That's the Vespa, twist & go and the "shifting" is via a variable ratio belt drive unit @ the rear wheel. Makes me look tough. I'm thinking maybe black leathers w/chrome studs?

Dale- All good thoughts IMO. I haven't disected mine yet, tho I did get a quick look while the TV's lower cover was off and I don't recall the 45-braces on the angle iron mounts that you have in yours. My TV vibrates a fair amount going down the road.

As far as the flow paths for air you discuss:
1) I measured the air speed w/WRV's meter at all 4 vents while in PDI. Air speed & therefore volume from the PS vents is higher by at least 50% due to the heavy restriction by sun shade on DS.
2) scavenging from top should increase efficiency as you note
3) fans inside instead of @ vent holes (where their inherent noise deflects 100% off the windshield) is a good idea to reduce noise
4) closing off the two metal louvered vents and taking make up air from the front for better heat scavenging is smart (WRV could save the cost of these vents including the cost of providing for the holes in the cabinetry, and increase the effectiveness of the design at the same time, even if they do nothing else like your ducting, moving fans inside, etc; tho it would be smart to provide an alternative path for air into the sat receiver comparment from the front, which could be done by simply enlarging the gap around the receiver itself; that gap on mine IIRC is about 3/16" all around but should probably be larger along the top surface to scavange air above the unit better); maybe a vent hole @ upper right of the black front of the sat bay would be a good idea for airflow across the top of sat.

What brand/model/supplier of fan are you using? My wife uses words for the entertainment center the likes of which would cause Hitchhiker to have to edit my posts if I relayed them here, so I gotta either fix the noise or trade the coach