Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-05-2006, 08:24 AM   #15

Alpine Owners Club
Hello Danny:

The work looks great with the LCD and the replacement cabinetry. Which plane is that with you on TV?

You are going to have schedule tours at the Pre-Rally.

Dave

Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2006, 11:10 AM   #16

I decided which TV I liked best and would fit, then built a box for it. I removed the old cabinets to the workbench and cut out a section that would accommodate the new box. I reused two of the old cabinet doors for the media center and sanded the entire unit before finishing. I recruited help to reinstall the cabinet back in the exact same spot. I did do a little rewiring to accommodate the new electronics. I installed a kill switch in the media cabinet to disable all the electronics while dry camping.

The airplane in the video is an Edge 540 and although it looks like me, it's not!

2000 Alpine Millennium Edition
Danny Gayhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 12:17 PM   #17

Danny:

The cabinet work looks great. I'm sure there was a sense of accomplishment upon completing the project. Sometimes the pride in doing it yourself is equal to the benifit of the end result. You are very obivously good in the work shop. I fabricated my own computer work station largely due to the logistics of having to take it somewhere to get it done. If I add the labor hours in, a shop could have probably done it for less money, but then I would not have have the enjoyment of saying "I did that"

Are you able to get HD reception from the new TV?

Take care,

Walt

2004 Alpine 40FDTS
Indio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 12:41 PM   #18

Danny,

What a super job!! Your original cabinet work looks similar to my 99 Alpine. What did you do with all the space behind the new TV? I have a large unaccessable space on the right just as you come in the front door where a clock hangs, what is behind that and what did you do with it?
What are you using as a back-up monitor?

Looks like you have inspired a lot of folks.

Greg
gmfryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 04:44 AM   #19

Danny,

I am also a woodworker and have no problem building cabinetery. BUT, my finishing skills are a bit on the 'amateurish' side. What wood did you use and how did you finish it?

I made surrounds for the interior of the slide from red Oak and used a "White Mist" oil based wood stain to bring them fairly close to the Ash and finish in our's. It was close but no cigar.

Any hints you'd care to share?
rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 01:33 PM   #20

I used ash with a grain similar to the original. I took one of my old doors to Home Depot paint dept. and had them come as close as possible. It is close but all the wood is a little different, so close counts.

Danny

2000 Alpine Millennium Edition
Danny Gayhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 07:09 PM   #21

Alpine Owners Club
Danny:

Did you scrap the entire old cabinet and start over, or did you only alter the left and center cabinets?

The photos look like everything really matches well.

Did it look feasible to build in place? My shop and RV storage are together.
Old 12-10-2007, 04:54 AM   #22

Thanks Danny.

I'll be making valances over the winter to dress up our rather plain 99 a bit more. This time I'll use the white Oak I've re-sawn and bookmatched (Oak and Ash have very similar grain structures). The oil based white-wash stain will be used to finish that.

Trim will be Bolivian Rosewood accented by Zebra wood, which will be finished with BLO to pop the grain and allow easy re-dressing and freshened from time to time.

But, if I were to construct cabinetry adjoining the existing woodwork as you did, I'd definitely have to use use Ash (you did a great job of that).

Gotta keep busy in the off-season, dontcha know?

Thanks again.
Old 12-10-2007, 03:51 PM   #23

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Trim will be Bolivian Rosewood accented by Zebra wood, which will be finished with BLO to pop the grain and allow easy re-dressing and freshened from time to time. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Zebra's got wood???? BLO to pop the grain???
Wow and those computer techies think they got it all! LOL
hrhuggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 03:20 AM   #24

DH,
Well of coarse a Zebra gets wood. How do you think they get littl....ah, never mind.

BLO = Boiled Linseed Oil; used for centuries.

Don't you know anything?
Old 12-11-2007, 06:18 PM   #25

Alpine Owners Club
OK, Bob, now we have wood from a Zebra and boiled oil from lind seeds. So... at the risk of hijacking the thread, will your 32" LCD also serve as the back-up monitor, or have you another avenue for seeing what the rear camera sees?
Old 12-12-2007, 03:24 AM   #26

Jeff,

There seems to be some misunderstanding. I did not replace the TV but was merely referring to some woodwork I did to the interior and complimenting the work done by another.

However, as far as the rear-vision system goes, I added an aftermarket camera and monitor and placed the monitor in about the same location a rear-view mirror in a car is. The system is on all the time so I can see what's behind me and watch the TOAD.

But, to avoid hi-jacking this thread, perhaps this is best discussed on another.