Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-02-2007, 02:07 PM   #15

R66,
Yes, I think so, Master.

JSE,
From my racing days:
Performance can easily be attained; at the expense of reliability. You never get anything worth having for nothing.

rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2007, 04:00 PM   #16

I was told the same thing with my 275 HP C8.3. I could boost the HP and torque but it wouldn't be cheap and my existing combination would probably not hold up well. I figured that it is much better than the gasser I am selling and the SO would...um...NOT like me blowing up our DP.

Ken

Old 10-02-2007, 04:11 PM   #17

Bob, In many cases that scenario is very true. By making your engine more efficient, porting, polishing, ceramic coating and etc. you can not only get more horsepower but more efficiency. When I learned to keep the bow down on my 7 litre hydroplane at 180 MPH I appreciated efficient well groomed horsepower. I will admit there were one or two other things to think about. The last Carver I had used the big block GMC or Chevy which ever makes you happy and they turned out 390HP at the prop(not at the engine shaft) Had a very good friend with the same engines(turned 330HP at the prop) but not setup as mine which came from MercCruiser that way I was way faster and much more efficient. Just for the records you can keep your Crusaders and their 502's etc. We just watched them blow up. It was a shame to see Mercruiser get involved with the other crowd and the Bayliner which is what it is but it is still the largest selling boat in the industry. I would not own one, but it appears I am in the minority. Lot of boat for the money.
Now we own motorhomes. This creates a whole new set of problems.
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 03:10 AM   #18

I'm not touching a thing other than to maintain it. Over 3800 miles on this trip and only 2 small issues; clogged fuel filter and a broken 12 VDC wire at the fuse holder to the Reefer (took about a half hour to find the darn thing and 10 minutes to replace it).

I've had a lot more and bigger issues with the Gassers I've owned before.

Most of the miles are on 2 lane twisties (Scenic Byways) and we are thrilled with the handling, performance and road-holding capabilities of this "Old" Coach.
Old 10-04-2007, 03:49 AM   #19

Bob,since you have covered 3800 miles in your first trip I like you would not touch anything. There is no question that reliability is the # 1 item that we want from our engine and everything else. You certainly seemed to get the reliability. I think that is great.
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 07:41 PM   #20

Alpine Owners Club
Bob,

Glad to hear that the expedition was mostly bug free. 3800 miles on twisty roads, so now you know why we all like to say "NOTHING HANDLES LIKE AN ALPINE!!!"
Old 10-04-2007, 08:37 PM   #21

Alpine Owners Club
Twisty roads, our favorite summertime spot is 28 miles of mountain road that takes us 50 minutes to drive by coach. The Alpine can take the roads faster, but the stuff in the cupboards...boy does Patty get mad when I rearange all her groceries 330 HP and 950 ft/lbs are enough to get me into trouble .

Heres to many more trouble free miles.
Old 10-05-2007, 04:00 AM   #22

The 1st "teaching" I offered to Peg was that if stuff falls out of a closet/drawer or Reefer, it's HER fault. If a glass/plate gets broken, it's HER fault. If the Coach crashes into the side of a mountain, it's MY fault.
The closet, drawer/reefer thing was proven a couple of times and I offered no sympathy. Nor was I quiet about it because it's all on the daily check-list.

As far as the handling goes; while driving south on 209 in NY in the dark, I was able to stay at a solid 45 MPH with few occasions to slow. If you've never driven that stretch of road you wouldn't know what that demonstrates. If you have, you will.

The expression "Nothing drives like an Alpine" was muttered many times during our trip.

What an experience.

Also, for what it's worth, New Hampshire's roads are worse than Northern PA's, which is no compliment. New York, on the other hand, has quite good roads, considering the weather patterns in the area (exception: the Robert Moses Parkway near Buffalo is absolutely HORRIBLE-shaken, not stirred).

I'll be installing Koni shocks next Spring.

Here's to many more trouble-free miles for all of us (now if I can only figure out what that dip-stick is telling me).