Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-08-2006, 12:34 PM   #15

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Buddy and Beverly:
Audrey and John,

You may need a heat sheild over the radiator, too. Even though this problem was a possibility in 2004 and 2005, heat shields were not automatically installed, as ours needed one. See my new post for an update and more information.

How are things coming with you getting your hydraulic lines fixed?

Beverly and Buddy </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
We're at MHSRV today. They've already taken a look and called HWH and WRV for parts.

We are indeed missing the heat shield!!! I am pretty surprised they didn't install heat shields on these 2005 builds.

So yes, we are expecting a heat shield to be installed, plus the new lines, plus our radiator to be cleaned up.

Hopefully all those parts will get here quickly.

Audrey

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2006, 02:41 PM   #16

All fixed up!

4 days at the dealer.

Monday - they had to take a look before HWH would send the parts. Phone tag with HWH. HWH phone lines have been jammed lately - we noticed that last week!

Wednesday - HWH parts arrived in the morning. Got all the lines replaced. Took most of the day. Had trouble with getting air out of the the synchronizing cylinder.

Thursday - needed a little HWH technical support and got the synchronizing cylinder working. The dealer made an insulated heat shield themselves!! They'd done it before. WRV told them to make one rather than send the part - why I'll never understand!! Done by 3 p.m.

This dealer (MHSRV) has nice RV pads and brings your coach out to the pad and hooks you up when they're not working on the coach.

So a long week, but good accommodations. We head back to Kerrville tomorrow.

Audrey

P.S. We have a neighbor who just traded up from a 2003 Alpine 40MDTS to a 2006 FDQS. It's a late model 2006 (he already has the Hydro-hot exhaust out the back - we're so jealous!!!). The coaches are parked opposite each other with doors aligned and the folks are furiously moving house. Fun, fun!!

Old 05-11-2006, 05:05 PM   #17

So what does the heat shield look like & what's it made from? Might be easier for me to make my own right now.
Old 05-12-2006, 07:26 AM   #18

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by EngineerMike:
So what does the heat shield look like & what's it made from? Might be easier for me to make my own right now. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Sorry - didn't get a look at it.

The MHSRV service guy also attached the lines to the bottom of the floor. The lines are longer now!

Audrey
Old 05-12-2006, 08:28 AM   #19

EM:
Would very much like to know how you resolve the heat shield issue. I'll be having to fabricate my own and would like to follow your lead.I imagine there are quite a number of coaches with the same problem,
Thanks

40' 2004 ALPINE COACH FDTS
chris cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 10:33 AM   #20

Right now my lines lay directly on the top of the radiator housing which is a steel heavy gauge sheet metal shroud.
My first inclination is to put a coupla pieces of galvanized rectangular gutter downspout pipe under the lines to make a thin-gauge sheetmetal separation so air can flow & disipate the heat of the radiator shroud.
I may have the 'longer' lines Audrey is discussing already. They sort of S-loop back & forth to take up slack before entering the floor above. My suspicion is that the parts stocking @ WRV is defaulting to a single parts types so that longer coaches get as much line as needed, and shorter ones get the slack taken up in the loops. I was looking at the wad of zip-tied-up wire loom hanging down next to my front door step & thinking the same thing- mid door units need longer wire looms & maybe I have several feet of loopy mess dangling there cuz both models get the same wiring loom.

If there are other ideas for heat shield, feel free to postem.
Old 05-12-2006, 03:25 PM   #21

EngineerMike - seems like WRV would send you a heat shield. I mean - they "owe" you one!

Audrey
Old 05-13-2006, 09:44 AM   #22

I figger'd if they didn't send you one, and you are such a nice person, they wouldn't send me one

"Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean the world isn't out to get you!
Old 05-13-2006, 11:03 AM   #23

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by EngineerMike:
I figger'd if they didn't send you one, and you are such a nice person, they wouldn't send me one

"Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean the world isn't out to get you! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
They didn't send one to my dealer because they could just tell him to build one, plus there was a time constraint.

I guess I think it would have been different if we had asked for the part ahead of time.

Audrey
Old 05-13-2006, 11:54 AM   #24

Our 34' alpine has same problems with the bedroom slide, broken hoses and leaking equalizer hyd. cyl.The slide broke the pocket door when it malfunctioned. I was warned by another owner at the time we took deliver 12 months ago this was going to happen.we live in Ohio and it took months to find a knowledgeable repair facility. Same story about the lack of heat shields and defective hyd. lines
Old 05-13-2006, 08:05 PM   #25

I have not been reading for about a week but guess what. My '06 36FDDS had the same Friday afternoon problem; rear slide went out on one-side only. Couldn't move it in any direction. It was strange, we pulled off the freeway to check some directions and while reading a map and gps, heard what sounded like someone hitting the motorhome with an open hand. We looked at each other and said 'what was that?'. I took a hammer and checked the tires - nothing. About 15 miles later we pulled into a campground for the night- the front slide deployed ok and then when my wife extended the rear one - one side poped out before she could release the button. We, too, had hydraulic fluid on radiator. There was good news and bad news. The bad news, a call to WRV proved to be worthless. The good news is that I have an appointment at the factory on Monday and I was only 140 miles away. I set a new short-term camping trip record - 20 minutes. I drove it with slide out and it is now parkred in the parking lot in Yakima. I once had a Tradewinds (slightly north of proto-type) which I have described as the 'motor home from ****'. Well, this one has never been out without a major problem. How much can a person take? What has to happen to qualify for the lemon law?
Old 05-14-2006, 06:18 AM   #26

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by lundy:
....heard what sounded like someone hitting the motorhome with an open hand. We looked at each other and said 'what was that?'. I took a hammer and checked the tires - nothing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
EXACTLY what we heard! We thought a neighbor's plastic chair or something had hit the slide (it was very windy). Went outside - no sign anything had hit the MH.

Lundy - about perfect timing for you - very lucky. At least you only had 140 miles and a factory appointment. Imagine if this had failed weeks ago, or worse after your factory appointment.

I predict most 34/36 2006 coaches are going to see this failure if they don't have that heat shield. Better check yours!

Audrey
Old 05-14-2006, 08:03 AM   #27

Audrey. I am curious, how did you get it to where you could get it fixed and what was involved? My coach is currently sitting in the factory lot and I have driven over to Seattle for Mother's Day. The factory is unaware that this has been 'added' to my list of projects to be fixed. They called me last week to see if I could pare the list a bit. I will be there tomorrow at 7:30am with both 'six-guns' straped to my belt!!
Old 05-14-2006, 08:39 AM   #28

It is fairly extensive - all the hydraulic lines to the wardrobe slide have to be replaced, and the lines and synchronizing cylinder have to be bled to get any air out. Plus the heat shield installed. It was several hours of work for our dealer.

Access is straightforward. The side panel covering the radiator comes off (it's held in by two rivets) then all the lines under the slide are exposed. WRV knows this of course.

Audrey