Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-09-2016, 10:51 AM   #1

40FDDS vs 36FDDS

We have narrowed down our MH search to an Alpine - preferably a 36fdds or 36fdts. We both like the layout of the 36 (N S queen bed), but the 36 is much harder to find. We found a great 40fdds locally (1 owner,very low miles, always stored indoors), but my wife is concerned about the tight quarters handling of the 40 vs the 36. We will be full timing and are planning on doing a lot of dry camping off the beaten path. We both like the additional basement storage of the 40, but don't need the king bed. We haven't found a 36 to test drive without traveling across the country. If anyone has driven both, I would like to have your input.
PitMan51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2016, 07:32 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitMan51 View Post
We have narrowed down our MH search to an Alpine - preferably a 36fdds or 36fdts. We both like the layout of the 36 (N S queen bed), but the 36 is much harder to find. We found a great 40fdds locally (1 owner,very low miles, always stored indoors), but my wife is concerned about the tight quarters handling of the 40 vs the 36. We will be full timing and are planning on doing a lot of dry camping off the beaten path. We both like the additional basement storage of the 40, but don't need the king bed. We haven't found a 36 to test drive without traveling across the country. If anyone has driven both, I would like to have your input.
If I was full timing I would want the 40' but with the mid door. Three reasons we bought mdds 36. Convenience of getting to the kitchen area, the concern of having minor accident causing the front door to be jammed and entry being under the canopy. 9 yrs of use and still believe we made the right choice. Now we have 24' Prism/Mercedes and wonder what happened!!!
Beagle
Beagle RC Air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 08:12 PM   #3

Something to consider--starting with early to mid-2003 Alpine coaches, WRV went from a 48 degree drivers wheel cut to a 52 degree cut. Cant say its a fact but suspect a newer 40ft with 52 degree cut might turn equal to or better than an older 36 ft with a 48 degree cut.....probably need to drive both to know for sure. Personally, I agree with Beagle--a 40ft with a mid-door is a very comfortable coach to drive and live in.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 11:43 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have to ask that the Community Rules be respected in regards to offers of sale not being posted in the forums. Thank you all for your cooperation in this matter.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 12:07 AM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Over the last 16 years we've had DP's I haven't found there to be much difference in low speed maneuverability between the 38', 40' non tag units and now 45' w/tag. In fact I can put the 45' into the same spots as I could the 40' much to the surprise of the campground host. I put it into the same spot beside the stick house but I do need to level the spot more since I don't have jacks, just the air leveling.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 12:41 PM   #6

If you are looking at dry camping in corp of engineer or forest service parks a 40 footer will usually not fit. For instance at Juniper in CA they have nicely placed boulders or did some number of years ago so it is almost impossible to maneuver our 36/37 foot alpine into a space. We do a lot of dry camping, and many of the off road sites won't handle a 40 footer and we have problems with out 36 frequently. I believe most of these areas were designed for 30 to 34 feet and not sure that they are being modified due to budget constraints. Rocky Mtn. park was hard to get into, but our 36 did. You will find that even if there are some spots available for a 40 footer our experience is that the number of spots at any given federal campground will be limited.
Old 03-27-2016, 06:00 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
We had both a 99 36' (really 37') side door and now an 07 40' and we can make turns we couldn't in the 36'.
40FT FDFS #75725
Rusty Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 08:48 AM   #8

I may have replied to your previous post on the same subject, but I don't remember for sure.....or you may not have gotten it if I did. In any case, my wife and I live close to New Orleans, and have a 2007 36FDDS. These coaches drive like a dream, are extremely quiet on the road, (when the road is decent) and are very maneuverable. At one point, some years ago, we lived aboard a 40' sailboat and cruised her for 15 yrs. We are now planning to sell out and move aboard our RV and do much the same thing again, so this ain't our first rodeo. We are toying with the idea of moving up to a 40' Alpine. Maybe we should talk. You can reach us at either of these #'s : 985 264 8131, (Dudley), or 985 778 7767, (Melanie). Email lilsugar148@outlook.com
Dudley do-right is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 07:48 AM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
We've owned 4 coaches over the past 15 years. A 40' Alpha, a 40' Holiday Rambler Scepter, a 40' Monaco Windsor and a 36' Alpine. The alpine is clearly the best built and easiest to drive and I swear it has the most room. It's also now for sale - health problems of a 75 year old. See Craigslist for Skagit County, Wahsington.
jimmays is offline   Reply With Quote